Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
When do you get positive boost? #1424470
27/04/2013 21:19
27/04/2013 21:19
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I have no idea whether its me only just noticing, but I think I'm getting boost when I never used to.

I can floor it in 6th at 30-ish mph, with just 1,500rpm showing, and it will instantly give me about 0.15 - 0.2 bar. Its then working below the surge line, so it only rises very gradually until its giving about 0.75 bar at 3,000rpm, then all hell breaks loose

I don't remember getting positive boost so early before, although I can't really say I paid too much attention to it

So, for those of you with a boost gauge, when do you first see positive boost? (and what turbo are you running?)

Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: Nigel] #1424482
27/04/2013 23:34
27/04/2013 23:34

T
Turboman87
Unregistered
Turboman87
Unregistered
T



Dont know if it helps..

But I have a BB T34 or T38 TO4E 50 trim and stage 2 .63 turbine. With supporting mods.

And I have positive boost below 2000RPM too. Something like 0.3bar at 2000rpm and then max boost 1.2bar 3500/3600rpm.




Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: Nigel] #1424512
28/04/2013 10:13
28/04/2013 10:13

F
F1ANG
Unregistered
F1ANG
Unregistered
F



This post had me curious, so this morning after dropping the missus off at work I had a little experiment....

Firstly, I'm not sure if there is any difference in our 6-speed boxes, but at 30mph in 6th my car is at 1050rpm so just ever so slightly over 1k, no boost there at all.

However by 40mph (still in 6th) now at 1.5k revs, the needle has lifled to 0.15bar

50mph 2k revs - 0.2bar
70mph 2.5/2.6k revs 0.5bar

Then full chat (1.4bar) at _ _mph (eeerm bit over the limit laugh ) at exactly 3000 rpm.

My turbo is a gti-r hybrid, one of barbz's own design, however I aslo have a TI stage 2 head, thought I would mention that as, since having it fitted it has certainly improved how early my car comes on boost.

Angelo.

Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: Nigel] #1424513
28/04/2013 10:56
28/04/2013 10:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I was guessing at 30mph - could easily have been closer to 40, or it could have been less than 1500rpm - either way, it was very low revs

Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: Nigel] #1424515
28/04/2013 11:15
28/04/2013 11:15

F
F1ANG
Unregistered
F1ANG
Unregistered
F



Ah right, I thought there was maybe a ratio difference between coupe-six boxes and plus boxes, or something like that, as far as I know there the same... never mind lol.

Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: Nigel] #1424531
28/04/2013 13:12
28/04/2013 13:12

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B



Don't you have super head Nigel? I see positive around 2k, slightly lower in a high gear and high demand ( plodding up a Hill in 4/5th)

Re: When do you get positive boost? [Re: ] #1424538
28/04/2013 15:09
28/04/2013 15:09
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Originally Posted by Big_Muzzie
Don't you have super head Nigel? I see positive around 2k, slightly lower in a high gear and high demand ( plodding up a Hill in 4/5th)


Yes, I have a Barbz head - I specified strong mid-range, rather than outright top-end power, so it is definitely optimised for an early spoolup.

It still needs 3,500 before things get going properly though...


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6150 MB (Peak: 0.6804 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:09:59 UTC