|
1 registered members (TonyB),
1,000
guests, and 6
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Serious advise needed
#1431464
04/06/2013 22:37
04/06/2013 22:37
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
The future of my coupe. I love my coupe. But weirdly I've always known buying it was a bit of a mistake. I'm quite an impulsive person. I did everything you shouldn't do when going to look at a car. I fell in love by the time I'd walked past it to his front door. I had the asking price in cash in my pocket and I simply wasn't listening to him by the time the multitude of scapes, small dents were being pointed out to me. I was just imagining driving home. 70 miles of A roads. I became the worlds worst haggler. "Well I'm looking for £2250 for it." "There you go" My coupe has never been perfect. I've never had enough money to take care of it as well as I would have liked. I've had several single bills over £600, one of £1500 (not an engine rebuild) and more £50-£150 bills than I want to think about. It's got loads of annoying body damage. But it's still really pretty, really fast and proper good fun. The time has come. I have a bit of money to spend and I have a choice to make. Sensible Jon would by something else at this point. A 350Z, a Boxter, an M3, a Mazda 3MPS...........or something. And part of me wants this. But then I'd have to sell my coupe. Considering the money cars on here go for I wouldn't get £1000. Or I'd have to break it........that's just not happening. Soooo to bring this long winded and self indulgent post to the point. I'm going to keep my coupe and.........errr mend it. Oh how I'm looking forward to the piss takes from my friends and work colleagues. I reckon there is scrape and or small dent damage on every panel. There is a dent in the rear right corner (which looks difficult to me). I want all that sorted. This means full respray I know - and I'd want a high quality one. I want to rebuild the engine and put in any sensible upgrades which will increase reliability. Not power...... necessarily  Referb the alloys. Get a new or referb the current turbo. Probably new shocks etc. Remember - I've been doing very simple services on this car myself for 4 years and fixing things when they break and it's done 55,000 miles in this time. They'll be lots of little things which will add up. Am I an idiot? Should I let it die and buy a lovely shiney low mileage coupe from a forum member who's treated their car better than I have...... My guess is I'd need £6000. You can buy a lot for £6000. You can't buy love though. Christ I make myself cringe sometimes.
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431465
04/06/2013 22:42
04/06/2013 22:42
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
Oh mods I already have are a nice blue flame exhaust, GTEC1, manual boost controller and a K@N filter. Oh and it's got a crack in the exhaust manifold. And no under tray. (Those last two aren't intentional mods)
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431473
04/06/2013 23:09
04/06/2013 23:09
|
sparkyman
Unregistered
|
sparkyman
Unregistered
|
I became the worlds worst haggler.
"Well I'm looking for £2250 for it." "There you go"
I know how you feel with that. Regards to your coupe, I always felt better the devil you know, there are limits tho. Coupe's still looks great, maybe I'm biased. Keep it and make it better
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431475
04/06/2013 23:14
04/06/2013 23:14
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
Good point Flea!  Forgot to say part of this project would be bringing it to you for a remap. Also are there any suggestions as to where I should get the work done. I know there several specialists around the country who really know what they're doing.....But I'd want someone who would help me with the project as a whole, discuss and suggest the work that needs to be done, put me in contact with a body shop who they trust with coupes etc.
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431494
05/06/2013 00:59
05/06/2013 00:59
|
iwantcandy
Unregistered
|
iwantcandy
Unregistered
|
or have 2 cars and have coupe on a classic car policy getting bits done gradually on the coupe and as numbers are dropping prices rise and you will have a good example thats worth a bit too? you could put by £2000 for bits on the coupe and run a nice motor for £4000 as an example? or just keep the coupe! but for the money your talking i would be inclined to buy another coupe with all the bits done with mods your after that needs nothing and save yourself a few quid! if i was to buy one i have seen in pics recently that may be available i would be looking at sparkymans sprinty which in my eyes is stunning!! but thats just me! all the best mate and long live the coupe!
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431498
05/06/2013 01:27
05/06/2013 01:27
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347 North Wales
Theresa
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
|
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
|
You're not an idiot and if you love the car, then go ahead and spend the money on it. I too, have ran my Coupe on a shoestring budget, although have kept up it's general maintenance, I've also been quite lucky with it. On the occasion it has presented me with an unexpected bill, then I beg and borrow the money, just to get it back on the road. Mine's far from perfect and it never will be, but it's mine and I love it, so will keep spending on it when I have to. My guess is I'd need £6000. You can buy a lot for £6000. You can't buy love though. Christ I make myself cringe sometimes.
You can buy my love for £6,000 and then I'll have a mint Coupe instead 
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431512
05/06/2013 07:43
05/06/2013 07:43
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794 Berlin
barnacle
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
|
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: barnacle]
#1431540
05/06/2013 11:17
05/06/2013 11:17
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347 North Wales
Theresa
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
|
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
|
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: Theresa]
#1431555
05/06/2013 13:59
05/06/2013 13:59
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,000 Costa Del Sawley
Paul_V
Competition Level
|
Competition Level
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,000
Costa Del Sawley
|
Keep the car and lavish it with some money & love. I've recently bought mine back off my boss after a 4 year spell without one. 2k down in my wallet already with loads more still to do on it, but, for me, its worth every penny. No other car I've owned makes me feel as good as when I'm driving the coupe. Good luck with it and keep us updated with your progress
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431557
05/06/2013 14:05
05/06/2013 14:05
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
thanks for the advise people, and thanks for the offer Theresa  I think.
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431563
05/06/2013 14:24
05/06/2013 14:24
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
£12,000!? Oh dear. I've not had a quote yet, was just guessing
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: wink]
#1431564
05/06/2013 14:25
05/06/2013 14:25
|
TimR
Unregistered
|
TimR
Unregistered
|
I'm in the same boat with my coupe. Same here. I'm just about keeping on top of the mechanical side of things (another £500 just spent on brake pipes, exhaust repair and tracking related suspension bits) but the worry of rust is gaining ground. Still, on the bright side it's less rusty than my 2001 BMW 5 Series 
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431585
05/06/2013 16:40
05/06/2013 16:40
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
Forum veteran
|
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
I was faced with the same dilemma a couple of years ago. Spend an estimated £3k - £5k on my monster-mile Sprinty, or cut my losses.
The rust wasn't horribly bad - bottom of the three-quarter panel, bottom of the A and B pillars, inner front wings and ends of the boot floor.
However, some careful investigation found that there were several other areas that were suspect, so the car's fate was sealed.
In the end, the solution I chose (which I'd urge the OP to consider) was that I located and bought a very clean, very low mileage Moonie Plus. It had done just 24,500 miles when I got it. Zero rust anywhere and felt almost new to drive.
Motormech spent a week swapping all the good mechanicals off the Sprinty into the Moonie, and I sold all of the duplicated parts (many of which were from the Moonie, so they sold very well, including the engine and box, suspension, wheels, brakes etc etc)
In the end, the entire episode cost me well under half the lower estimate of restoring the Sprinty.
If you can find a near-perfect late model Plus, even if it costs top dollar, then it will almost certainly be a cheaper option than restoring your current car, especially after you've sold or broken the existing car.
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431594
05/06/2013 17:28
05/06/2013 17:28
|
dazs78
Unregistered
|
dazs78
Unregistered
|
I would also buy another with the mods already done and keep yours as a project/trackday toy???
|
|
|
Re: Serious advise needed
[Re: ]
#1431610
05/06/2013 19:49
05/06/2013 19:49
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
boonman
Unregistered
|
Nigel/Daz - thanks for the replies So what I really need to do is get the current car assessed properly. Until then I guess I can't really make the right choice.
|
|
|
|