Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... #1471555
30/01/2014 08:29
30/01/2014 08:29
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
My car is in the hands of my local garage, very fair in terms of price normally,
When I called yesterday for a progress update the fitter was spitting feathers! He said it was a pig of a job! I hadn't got a quote first, nor do I know yet what the price is.

I know it's ready for lunchtime,

I supplied BOTH seals,

Any guesses as to how much of a bill I'm to expect?


Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471556
30/01/2014 08:39
30/01/2014 08:39
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
You remember to give them the drive shaft 'O ' ring? Might be back to fix a leak very soon if not.

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471557
30/01/2014 08:39
30/01/2014 08:39
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
Nope

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471558
30/01/2014 08:42
30/01/2014 08:42

I
Iceberg
Unregistered
Iceberg
Unregistered
I



Good advice, change the o ring seal at the same time. About 2 hours labour £80.00ish

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471559
30/01/2014 08:48
30/01/2014 08:48
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
I've had the seals done by you Paul (prev owner) twice over a 8-10 year period, I know for a fact my mechanic would have just put the seals in, and the cars now back together..

Is there a chance as MM did the seals a few years ago, the O rings in the box would suffice?

Or have I set myself up for failure??

Also is it normal to need seals done 3 times in so many years?

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471560
30/01/2014 08:54
30/01/2014 08:54

I
Iceberg
Unregistered
Iceberg
Unregistered
I



If the offside shaft is refitted with care the o ring should be ok. We always change it and clean the viscos drive that it fits into.
The life of the seals would depend on the age and mileage.

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471561
30/01/2014 08:57
30/01/2014 08:57
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
Thanks Paul, I will just hope for the best I think!

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471566
30/01/2014 09:19
30/01/2014 09:19
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
Not the end of the world if it leaks. Just don't run the box dry. As the shafts been apart I'd be very surprised if it took more than a hour to fix.

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471567
30/01/2014 09:24
30/01/2014 09:24
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
I've never owned a coupe with leaky shafts though... Its a bit disheartening.. I've owned 18!

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471601
30/01/2014 13:42
30/01/2014 13:42

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



I have had this issue. Takes no longer than an hour with fcss! Maybe fiat want paying for scratching their heads?

Re: Price for fitting 2 x drive shaft seals... [Re: chrissy] #1471608
30/01/2014 14:14
30/01/2014 14:14
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline OP
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
£60 in the end for both, He said he was aware of the O rings, they were nice and new & the shafts were no struggle going back in, He also said they get damaged when the shafts put up a fight, and a mechanic damages them on ramming the shafts in...

Time will tell!


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6366 MB (Peak: 0.7197 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:57:32 UTC