Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dodgy Coupe on Ebay #1475816
23/02/2014 16:22
23/02/2014 16:22
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Last week, I was called at Motormech by a Coupe owner wanting to sell a Coupe for spares. I asked for details and photos to be emailed, which turned up a day or two later.

Having decided that the car sounded like it was beyond repair, I asked the seller for his price, which was several times what I wanted to pay, so I let him down gently and declined.

However, I was then surprised to see the car advertised on Ebay with only a passing mention of the issues he'd revealed to me.

Ebay ad

The car looks familiar - look at photo 2 in the ebay ad - was it a forum car previously?

Admittedly, the advert does mention "spares / repairs", but there's only a passing mention of the rust problems and engine issues

Originally Posted by Ebay ad
Engine Emissions
Some rust on inner wheel arches


Here's an extract from the email the seller sent me

Originally Posted by dodgy seller
Emmisions bad, burning oil issue

Needs welding to inner wheel arch requiring sub frame dropping.

Suspected Fuel pump failure



He also asked for £500 for the Azevs, which he admits "need a refurb"

I'm not saying this car isn't worth buying, but it certainly isn't as good as the Ebay ad implies.

Proceed with great care.

Justin - if you're a member on here, I apologise for dropping you in it, but the Coupe community is quite close-knit and it detests such underhand behaviour. You now stand little or no chance of selling the car (or your other Sprint Blue breaker) on this forum.

Having investigated further, it appears I'm not the only person he's tried to sell the car to - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to explain further....


Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475819
23/02/2014 16:35
23/02/2014 16:35

J
jimjimmer
Unregistered
jimjimmer
Unregistered
J



I have spoken to the man in question but he was enquiring about mine. He asked what i thought about his and I said it was to expensive for what was needed. When asked why he didnt mot it he did say about the welding and the fact it really requires another engine to pass emissions.

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475820
23/02/2014 16:37
23/02/2014 16:37
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,091
Leicestershire
Joe78 Offline
I need some sleep
Joe78  Offline
I need some sleep

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,091
Leicestershire
This guy's tried flogging it to me too.

His name is Justin and he was wanting to chop his coupe and some cash in against my sprinty.

He gave me £100 deposit and has been arsing me about for the past month, changing his mind and trying to barter a better deal than we'd agreed to begin with.

He's asked for his deposit back now and I've point blank refused.

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475821
23/02/2014 16:41
23/02/2014 16:41

J
jimjimmer
Unregistered
jimjimmer
Unregistered
J



has that been in the past couple days? Yesterday he wanted to put a deposit on mine aswell!
* id refuse aswell

Last edited by jimjimmer; 23/02/2014 16:42.
Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: ] #1475825
23/02/2014 17:05
23/02/2014 17:05
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,091
Leicestershire
Joe78 Offline
I need some sleep
Joe78  Offline
I need some sleep

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,091
Leicestershire
Originally Posted by jimjimmer
has that been in the past couple days? Yesterday he wanted to put a deposit on mine aswell!
* id refuse aswell


He's gone quiet over the last few days, but it's been ongoing for the past month or so

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475827
23/02/2014 17:14
23/02/2014 17:14

J
jimjimmer
Unregistered
jimjimmer
Unregistered
J



Ok thanks. I will see if I hear from him tomorrow as expected.. will update anything I find out..

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Joe78] #1475830
23/02/2014 18:03
23/02/2014 18:03

F
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
fiatcoupe86
Unregistered
F



Originally Posted by Joe78
This guy's tried flogging it to me too.

His name is Justin and he was wanting to chop his coupe and some cash in against my sprinty.

He gave me £100 deposit and has been arsing me about for the past month, changing his mind and trying to barter a better deal than we'd agreed to begin with.

He's asked for his deposit back now and I've point blank refused.
i will be down on saturday to pick the car up joe I am giving a mate a full tank of diesel to take me down we are leaving about 8 am to come down

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475894
23/02/2014 22:27
23/02/2014 22:27

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J



And me .

He's a member on here,can't remember his name but I no longer answer phone to him.
If its the one I saw last year then steer clear as I condemned it.
Had serious defects with suspension,brakes engine and structural corrosion not to mention the paintwork.

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475898
23/02/2014 22:44
23/02/2014 22:44
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
My job on the forum
adam16vt  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
I've also had contact from him

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1475904
23/02/2014 23:20
23/02/2014 23:20

J
jimjimmer
Unregistered
jimjimmer
Unregistered
J



Jesus he has been doing the rounds properly.

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476455
27/02/2014 06:02
27/02/2014 06:02
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,483
Kent
Submariner Offline
My job on the forum
Submariner  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,483
Kent
`Please no time wasters` quoted from his EBay ad...the irony. It should be condemned for that exhaust set-up alone.

Last edited by Submariner; 27/02/2014 06:06.
Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Submariner] #1476460
27/02/2014 08:13
27/02/2014 08:13
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,694
Midlands
MCMike Offline
Forum is my job
MCMike  Offline
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,694
Midlands
Originally Posted by Submariner
`Please no time wasters`


I have never understood why an advertiser would put this on an advert rolleyes


1972 Triumph Stag
1984 Alfasud TI
1999 Fiat Coupe Turbo LE
2005 350Z




Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476519
27/02/2014 14:23
27/02/2014 14:23
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline OP
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
I'm glad to see that the ad has been revised quite considerably to better explain the issues - the whole reason I posted this in the first place has now been addressed - the new wording means that the car won't be bought by an unsuspecting owner, thinking it simply needs a tune-up and a bit of rustproofing

For clarity (and to pacify the seller, who I know is reading this thread), the reason for the existence of FCCUK is to promote and encourage Fiat Coupe ownership - in my opinion (and that of many others) this extends to identifying cars that are not what they seem.

Let's turn the tables for a moment - if, as a new Coupe owner, you found that some of the forum regulars were aware of a Coupe with hidden issues and that these issues were kept quiet, you'd be rightly annoyed when you bought it and found the car to be rather less good than you first thought

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476526
27/02/2014 15:55
27/02/2014 15:55

M
MuzzSJM
Unregistered
MuzzSJM
Unregistered
M



Maybe it's just me but if I've sold a car in the past on eBay or to someone I know I'm very honest! If something is wrong, even if its a scratch or squeaky passenger seat I try to be upfront its a respect thing plus I wouldn't want someone conning me back. Cars are not cheap and it's not fair to waste someone's time, money and impact their life on with a dodgy car.

I need a car for work and for my family as my parents aren't in great health. I spend good money and wisely do my research where possible to try and get a good deal. If someone is dishonest it angers me because a broken car has such an impact on my life not only my wallet/pocket. If your selling because the car is a bad one at least be honest, it's a form of fraud passing off a bad car and a suitable or good one. My brother had a CCJ registered to a guy on eBay who sold a bad van, he's still trying to get his money back to extend the court are close to taking it from the guys future house sale.

Touch wood I've only ever bought one bad car in the last 12 years that wasn't anything like the eBay ad. I returned the car half an hour later and had all my money back. It had clearly bad ruined by abuse and they had hidden it well until part of the suspension fell off on the way home.

Last edited by MuzzSJM; 27/02/2014 15:57.
Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476542
27/02/2014 18:12
27/02/2014 18:12
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
chrissy Offline
Tourque Italia member!
chrissy  Offline
Tourque Italia member!
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,621
S Wales
£1500-600, that's a saving!

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476546
27/02/2014 19:09
27/02/2014 19:09

R
Richie007
Unregistered
Richie007
Unregistered
R



I would break it myself as i'm sure you would make more money selling the good bits than what he is advertising as it is

Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476551
27/02/2014 20:08
27/02/2014 20:08
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 533
Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott Offline
Enjoying the ride
Carlscott  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 533
Rugby, Warwickshire
This is the type of coupe that gives the car a bad name. Which is one of the reasons I almost didn't buy one

I waited for roughly two years before going through with a purchase. Apart from a few things (one of which I believe to be my own fault) it's been an absolute pleasure to own. It's unfortunate but I guess some people do sometimes get caught out with these, or impulse takes over and they rush into buying something they later regret.

I did see this add on eBay and my knowledge of these cars is far from Brilliant but it had "walk away" written all over it, the alloys however did look pretty nice!





Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad
Re: Dodgy Coupe on Ebay [Re: Nigel] #1476558
27/02/2014 21:20
27/02/2014 21:20

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B



Well done Nigel and a thank you to the owner. Well done for manning up and being honest.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6698 MB (Peak: 0.8090 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:04:44 UTC