|
1 registered members (Edinburgh),
1,160
guests, and 3
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Coupe put on a good show....
#1502290
09/08/2014 21:28
09/08/2014 21:28
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
I was invited to take the Coupe on track at Bruntingthorpe to support the Asda "on your marks" charity event Basically, a couple of hundred complete petrolheads take paying passengers (£5 per go) for a flying lap of the track, raising cash for various charities There was some proper exotica there today - Ferrari 458, several Lambos, LOTS of TVRs, many Lotuses (Lotii?), Maseratis, Subarus and various hot saloons, ranging from AMG63, RS6, RS4 and a mighty gaggle of Nissan GTRs (from bog-stock, all the way to a couple of Litchfield specials) I did about twenty sessions in the Coupe and Matthew, my youngest son, did another half dozen or so The car was near-faultless all day, with the only casualties being a melted wheelcentre  and the brakes being a bit grumbly towards the end of the day The Coupe repeatedly hit 155 at the end of the straight, which was the same speed as the standard GTRs were getting (as reliably informed by several passengers that had already had a ride in one). Most cars were maxing in the 135-140 region. Towards the end of the day, I was getting lots of drives for passengers that had been told "its the fastest thing out there!" - not strictly true, as a couple of GTRs had the legs on me by a long margin, and an R32 mullered me on the brakes. I was also comprehensively out-cornered by a Porsche 911 GT3 RS, but I held him off all the way down the straight. I out-dragged an RS6, an RS5, a couple of monstrous Cobras, a variety of hot Subarus, a Jag XF-R, all of the TVRs and to cap it all, the Dodge Viper span out while cornering at the same speed as the Coupe. Got several comments from other drivers that the Coupe was just epic down the straights and (due the the Quaife diff) it was also holding its own round the corners. The RS6 driver in particular just couldn't believe that I simply pulled away (although to be fair, his gearbox died later in the day, so it may not have been entirely happy) For some reason, I appear to have used half a tank of V-Power in 50 miles on track.... I estimate it was doing 7mpg average - oops I've also found out that Ferodo DS2500 can put up with massive abuse - a couple of dozen VERY hard stops from over 150 - the pedal went a bit long towards the end of the day, but the bite was still there - very impressive. Even more impressive was that I didn't kill my MTec discs - they've gone a funny colour and they have a lip that they didn't have at the beginning of the day, but they are still running true with no judder - this would have been a stern test of any disc, but remember that MTec are well under £100 for a pair - far better than they have any right to be at that price Triple benefits - a great day driving at very silly speed, lots of cash raised for charity AND the Coupe has gone up in several people's estimations 
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502297
09/08/2014 22:07
09/08/2014 22:07
|
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
|
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
|
nice to see people doing charity things  also good to see some constructive feedback about some of the parts that you were using to enable other to have some confidence and gain a feel for the parts they may have fitted.
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: ]
#1502306
09/08/2014 22:38
09/08/2014 22:38
|
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 299 Boston, UK
Spoonz
Making a profit
|
Making a profit
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 299
Boston, UK
|
fantastic, it amazes me how the coupe can still grab attention even though its 20 years old. Mind you, yours is 400bhp+ and great new on the mtec's, got some on mine, gives me alot more confidence in knowing they can take some beating(with good pads of course) its nice to hear the coupe getting more attention to which it deserves 
Last edited by Spoonz; 09/08/2014 22:39.
Signature to large. 300 x 100 max
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502317
09/08/2014 23:05
09/08/2014 23:05
|
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799 In the coupe.
magooagain
Club member 259
|
Club member 259
Forum is my life
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
|
Well done Nigel! Mtec on mine also with carbotech xp10s.No probs with either. I just wish i could get up to 155 on a straight.
The Fiat coupe just keeps giving eh!
Is the straight really 3.2KLM
Last edited by magooagain; 09/08/2014 23:26. Reason: 3.2 straight!
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502322
09/08/2014 23:18
09/08/2014 23:18
|
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
|
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
|
You have a special.couoe Nigel, and im glad you're not affraid to use it as you prove over and over! Great to hear you gave the big boys something to fear and showed the general public the coupe really is a baby fezza!
Top Job, even better it was all in the name of charity!
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502331
10/08/2014 01:01
10/08/2014 01:01
|
stevo
Unregistered
|
stevo
Unregistered
|
Nigel have you got any go pro footage. Sounds like you had a blast and probably a cheap track day for a good cause. What's your spec Nigel?
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: magooagain]
#1502347
10/08/2014 09:27
10/08/2014 09:27
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
Is the straight really 3.2KLM No - we were using about half of the runway length - the full-length track looks like this but we were on the short track, which looks like this The main runway length is exactly 3000m
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502354
10/08/2014 09:52
10/08/2014 09:52
|
nissansteve
Unregistered
|
nissansteve
Unregistered
|
Outstanding Nigel, a true credit to all things coupe!
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502371
10/08/2014 11:42
10/08/2014 11:42
|
suba
Unregistered
|
suba
Unregistered
|
Reading posts like this really make me miss my old coupe.  Nice to hear about the Mtec discs Nigel..... If they can stand up to a day of abuse from you then that is high praise indeed. Not surprised passengers thought it was fast, but I expect the driver also had something to do with that perception.
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502397
10/08/2014 14:25
10/08/2014 14:25
|
furry
Unregistered
|
furry
Unregistered
|
Sounded like a really good day for everybody concerned.
Good stuff regarding the breaks too even though my coupe is still stock, would like to know more about the diff (price etc)
Still a very under rated car by a lot of people but at least you had the chance to deliver an experience that people probably weren't expecting
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502411
10/08/2014 16:03
10/08/2014 16:03
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
LOL - just found a post by the RS6 owner on the OverClockers forum - seems he was fairly impressed with the little Fiat... The Fiat Coupe on our gate is THE most mental thing I've been out in a long time - 480hp from a relatively stock looking FWD car Easily as fast on the straights as the RS6 (as expected) but so quick around the bends too where I'd have guessed the FWD would have struggled but it just gripped and went, amazing car!
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502415
10/08/2014 16:47
10/08/2014 16:47
|
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408 Essex
Trappy
Club member 7306
|
Club member 7306
Forum is my life
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
|
LOL - just found a post by the RS6 owner on the OverClockers forum - seems he was fairly impressed with the little Fiat... The Fiat Coupe on our gate is THE most mental thing I've been out in a long time - 480hp from a relatively stock looking FWD car Easily as fast on the straights as the RS6 (as expected) but so quick around the bends too where I'd have guessed the FWD would have struggled but it just gripped and went, amazing car! Hehe, good stuff! I assume this is the latest V10 RS6 with circa 550bhp? To be honest, I'm surprised the GTRs managed to equal your speed on the straights. I guess there are a lot of variations now ranging from 475-530 odd bhp now though...
F****** b****** thing...
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Trappy]
#1502428
10/08/2014 17:53
10/08/2014 17:53
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
I assume this is the latest V10 RS6 with circa 550bhp? No - it was the C5 - the twin-turbo'd V8 - just checked the stats (440bhp and 1850kg) and it now makes a bit more sense as to why I was able to eke out a bit of a lead I'm surprised the GTRs managed to equal your speed on the straights I think their aerodynamics are better than the Coupe, and because the entry to the straight was off the chicane, I was probably 10mph down to start off with. I had no idea there was such a variance in power on the standard GTRs - 479bhp to 550bhp
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502441
10/08/2014 18:51
10/08/2014 18:51
|
tom_snelling
Unregistered
|
tom_snelling
Unregistered
|
Nice one Nigel! I would reccomend some Carbon Lorraine pads, they are a massive upgrade from what you currently have, I was stunned at the difference when I made the switch.
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502443
10/08/2014 18:54
10/08/2014 18:54
|
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,618 SE Essex
charlie_croker
I need some sleep
|
I need some sleep
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,618
SE Essex
|
Nigel, Fantastic write up, like many I have been tempted to sell my Coupe as I am now in a position where I can (just about) afford some exotica, but having read this, it would appear I will be sticking with the Coupe, hell once they get under your skin, they really do get under the skin
Happy
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Flea]
#1502478
10/08/2014 21:36
10/08/2014 21:36
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386 Staffordshire
Nigel
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
|
Did you get any footage Nigel? No - not even any photos - way too busy having fun....
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502513
11/08/2014 08:48
11/08/2014 08:48
|
Nobby
Unregistered
|
Nobby
Unregistered
|
Great stuff Nigel. I'm not surprised you can outdrag an RS6 Nigel - your car is lighter and more powerful, probably less torque though. I think I know (from RS246) the chaps who went to Bruntingthorpe - one of them was reporting his torque converter was slipping a few weeks ago so not surprised if its knackered 
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502521
11/08/2014 10:37
11/08/2014 10:37
|
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 533 Rugby, Warwickshire
Carlscott
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 533
Rugby, Warwickshire
|
Brilliant read Nigel
And a fantastic win win situation, giving/doing something for charity and you got to have some fun in your coupe plus the positive feedback and at £5 ago, absolute bargain.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502532
11/08/2014 12:08
11/08/2014 12:08
|
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,296 Staffs
Dazvr6
My job on the forum
|
My job on the forum
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,296
Staffs
|
Sounds like you had a great time Nigel. Would of loved to see some of the surprised faces as you outdragged them.  The fastest I ever managed down there was 145 but that was using the full straight in a Mk2 Golf!
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502803
12/08/2014 21:19
12/08/2014 21:19
|
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
|
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
|
Nice step backwards jimbo! (this is effort 2 arriving?)
|
|
|
Re: Coupe put on a good show....
[Re: Nigel]
#1502928
13/08/2014 15:28
13/08/2014 15:28
|
Lucifer
Unregistered
|
Lucifer
Unregistered
|
Brilliant stuff Nigel, well done  Wish I'd known about this!
|
|
|
|