Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Engine / gearbox mount bolts #1524268
04/02/2015 14:16
04/02/2015 14:16
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
One week after having a broken driveshaft and the vibra technics rear gearbox mount replaced, the three bolts holding the front gearbox mount to the chassis snapped. I'm now wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrading all of the engine and gearbox mount bolts from 8.8 to 10.9 steel to cope from the extra stress they seem to be under at this power level.

Anyone else done similar, have experience of this or able to tell me if it's a good or bad idea given the whole 'brittleness' thing...

Cheers!


F****** b****** thing...
Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1524566
06/02/2015 17:30
06/02/2015 17:30
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
...and it turns out the thread has gone on the gearbox. New gearbox... again... frown

Now blabla banghead furious

Tonight beer drink

Tomorrow coffee

Monday woohoo driving cloud9


F****** b****** thing...
Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1524613
07/02/2015 05:54
07/02/2015 05:54
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
Won't a thread insert work?

Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1524712
07/02/2015 19:32
07/02/2015 19:32

N
nissansteve
Unregistered
nissansteve
Unregistered
N



One thread has pulled on my front box mount.
After trying to remove the long single bolt first, the head sheared clean off, I'm going to replace the whole mount and bolts.

Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1577808
21/06/2016 23:40
21/06/2016 23:40

K
KBT
Unregistered
KBT
Unregistered
K



Sorry I seem to be a bit behind events.
I have all 3 of the VT fast road mounts.
The rear and o/s seem ok but i`m dubious about the n/s.

The bolts supplied to retain the mount to chassis leg are very poor quality 8.8 grade as supplied to the shop fitting industry. I`ve seen plenty of these bolts, when opening a box of 1000 the trick is to find a few without duff threads to do the racking job. One of the bolts supplied had a duff thread.
The main bolt looks like 12.9 grade as self colour, I didn`t note prior to fitting.
There are 2 small set screws holding the sandwich together, these look like they may be 10.9 but may be 8.8.
Point is the mount is not ride on but suspension and we are all running at considerable upgrade.
I see no downside to using 10.9 where one can, downside of 12.9 is often only self colour.

Did you have any further problems,Trappy/nissansteve?

Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1577820
22/06/2016 00:30
22/06/2016 00:30
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
I've had issues with the bolts supplied with the N/S VT mounts so I don't use them and swap them for better quality.

Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1577829
22/06/2016 01:52
22/06/2016 01:52

K
KBT
Unregistered
KBT
Unregistered
K



Thank-you for the input. Fiat seem to use 10.9 with fine pitch on the car for suspension/running gear although I haven`t managed to see the head clearly of the o/s mount bolts.
Not determined the finish of the standard bolts for sure to replicate, I might send one to the plating supplies. Just seems like heavy/quality zinc, they last really well. My Ti just for show/build till the originals redone.
Plenty of the bolts I have encountered were non-original so I have filtered, shame about the original clips too as they seem like stainless?

Re: Engine / gearbox mount bolts [Re: Trappy] #1577902
22/06/2016 16:33
22/06/2016 16:33

K
KBT
Unregistered
KBT
Unregistered
K



"and can we confirm that?"

Yup, I just pulled an original o/s bolt and it is 10 grade so i`m off shopping.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6256 MB (Peak: 0.7136 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:17:55 UTC