Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fog light explosion #1527559
27/02/2015 08:35
27/02/2015 08:35
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline OP
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline OP
Forum is my job
M

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
Well that is what it look like. You walk past you car and suddenly notice that your fog light has been ripped apart, main glass gone leaving thick shards remaining around the edge, looks ghastly.

I have just had another one fall victim to what I assume is a stone strike; this is certainly the second and possible my third total loss. Am I just unlucky, are the stones round here bigger than normal or perhaps I am just moving fast? laugh


997 C4S
Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527560
27/02/2015 08:45
27/02/2015 08:45
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
the glass seems to be very brittle - I've lost two or three in similar ways

I have a few in stock if you want to replace with secondhand

Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527561
27/02/2015 08:49
27/02/2015 08:49
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
A few here has experienced fog shattering too. It might be from hitting stones but it can also be for no apparent reason. Spontaneous glass shattering is a common phenomenon on tempered glass. Its the inclusions of nickel sulfide in the glass that also makes shattering more susceptible.

Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527563
27/02/2015 08:59
27/02/2015 08:59

C
chipped
Unregistered
chipped
Unregistered
C



Ah, Not just me then!

Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527572
27/02/2015 10:09
27/02/2015 10:09
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
Is it possible to protect them with some of the expel type wrap (the clear bra material as Americans call it).
It protects paint against stone chips so surely would do the same for the fog lights?

Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527574
27/02/2015 10:17
27/02/2015 10:17
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
I'm sure a clear bra would protect it from impact inflicted shatters..but won't do anything for spontaneous shattering, apart from holding the broken pieces of glass together frown

Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527585
27/02/2015 11:23
27/02/2015 11:23
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
I had a spontaneous headlight blow in a Citroen GS driving in freezing fog at -15 degrees.
It made a hole the size of a .22 bullet

It was at the focus point of the beam on the glass and the temperature differential was too much. Sounded like a rifle shot when it went.


16VT and X1/9 1500 + e208 Peugeot

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
I even unplugged my own.
Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Nigel] #1527606
27/02/2015 13:09
27/02/2015 13:09
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline OP
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline OP
Forum is my job
M

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
Originally Posted by Nigel
the glass seems to be very brittle - I've lost two or three in similar ways

I have a few in stock if you want to replace with secondhand


Thanks Nigel, but already sourced from the Bay


997 C4S
Re: Fog light explosion [Re: Mark_S] #1527668
27/02/2015 18:21
27/02/2015 18:21

F
furry
Unregistered
furry
Unregistered
F



I had one go in my hands, I took it apart to tidy up the inner plastic, and when I were lightly scrapping the excess sealant away it just exploded, got lucky as it never cut my hands so that we're a bonus, could have done some damage.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.022s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6289 MB (Peak: 0.7045 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:00:40 UTC