Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New wheels! #1543907
06/07/2015 14:28
06/07/2015 14:28
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
After hunting round for the right set of wheels and tyres for the Coupe for over 18 months, I finally had a new set fitted over the weekend. Here’s the criteria I had in mind all along, in order:

17”
8” wide to accommodate the tyres I had in mind
Straight fit on the Coupe, no wobbly bolts or spacers etc
Lightweight
5 spoke design
Silver

After realising that Compomotive were back in business at the start of this year I made some enquiries as to fitment for the Coupé. They were, as usual, not helpful in the slightest despite having an Integrale on the front page of their website… I asked Joe (Magooagain) how he got on with the MO5 (MO1783) he had bought the year before intending to prove to Compomotive that they had made these alloys in the past and that they did fit. As it turned out, Joe hadn’t used them and he was now thinking of selling them as they were still boxed up! I told him I’d have them and that was that.

Size: 17” x 8J
PCD: 98
ET: 37
Centre bore 58.2
Weight; 10.3kgs

Two months after making the deal, Joe was over in the UK from his home in France and dropped them off on the way to see his family. He arrived at mine on Saturday and I had them fitted in the afternoon along with a new set of Yokohama Advan Neova AD08Rs in 235/40/17.

I’ve covered round 60 miles since and I’m very happy with the performance so far. They certainly do feel heavier (2kgs per corner) but it feels better oddly - much more like the solid feeling in the girlfriends 350Z (that is fitted with 18” Ray Engineering 6 spokes). I’ve driven down the usual bumpy, jiggly, pock marked, test road near me to see how it rides and, although a little worse than before, it’s no-where near as bad as I was expecting. Some bump frequencies actually feel better in fact? Very pleased.

As for the handling balance, the near standard offset has resulted in a wheel / tyre that sits pretty exactly much where the original wheel / tyre did. Now that the wheel is an inch wider however, this means it reaches 12mm further into the car and 14mm further out. With the type being a 235 section it means it reaches 13.8mm further into the car and 16.2mm further out over the 205mm. The wheel does tis and clears the Brembos by a greater margin than the standard wheel!

As for the tyres… well they’re just plain crazy. My only experience of high performance tyres would be the Hankook RS2s I had years ago or the Eagle F1s on the 350Z; these Yokos are miles better than both of these and they haven’t even been scrubbed in properly yet. No spinning in 2nd gear at all and decent traction is there in 1st gear now. A heavy right foot mid corner in second gear now results in the slightest squeal and a great deal of shove rather than just rampart understeer followed by lift-off oversteer; they’re epic!

In terms of aesthetics, I am very happy with the look of them too. I wanted a 5 spoke design from the off but they also had to be in keeping with the ‘standard look’ I’m going for. I’ve seen a lot of alloy wheels that look great but can draw the eye from the rest of the car. I wanted something that would complement it without being too overpowering. Bing Compomotive MO5, they are well known as 90s rally car wheels and for this reason really do fit with the time the car came from. I am also particularly fond of the silver centre caps. Combined with the brand new bolts, it does look like a little piece of jewellery, much like the fuel cap and also recently fitted rear light rings.

From the back, the 235 section tyres really do add a great deal to the poise of the car. I always felt that the 205s looked a bit weedy and the new tread pattern is also pretty impressive.

The only gripe at the moment is that the back right tyre rubs the wheel arch over large bumps / undulations at speed or through bumpy long left handers. The car has sat a little lower on the right hand side for while however and I feel it may be tired suspension causing this.

Here are some pics

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge




F****** b****** thing...
Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1543911
06/07/2015 15:09
06/07/2015 15:09
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Looks good, but I think mine look better hehe


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: New wheels! [Re: Begbie] #1543935
06/07/2015 19:31
06/07/2015 19:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,839
Haslemere, Surrey
Brings a Ferrari Daytona look to the car, nice smile


997 C4S
Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1543938
06/07/2015 19:52
06/07/2015 19:52

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



There a sexy looking set of rims on the coupe smile

Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1543980
06/07/2015 23:46
06/07/2015 23:46

B
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
Big_Muzzie
Unregistered
B



You need skirts to.finish off the look.
I'm amazed you've found non 4 spoke wheels I'd actually buy!
Brilliant choice.

Re: New wheels! [Re: ] #1543996
07/07/2015 09:45
07/07/2015 09:45
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Originally Posted by Big_Muzzie
You need skirts to.finish off the look.
I'm amazed you've found non 4 spoke wheels I'd actually buy!
Brilliant choice.


I've never been interested in skirts on the Coupé. They weren't part of the original design and they look it. I like the Coupé looking thin around the waist cool


F****** b****** thing...
Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1544068
07/07/2015 22:52
07/07/2015 22:52

P
Pondman
Unregistered
Pondman
Unregistered
P



Is that an extra wide 350Z I see peeking round the corner?
A good, unfussy wheel design, I like thumb

Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1544075
07/07/2015 23:28
07/07/2015 23:28

D
dlongstaff
Unregistered
dlongstaff
Unregistered
D



Originally Posted by Trappy
Originally Posted by Big_Muzzie
You need skirts to.finish off the look.
I'm amazed you've found non 4 spoke wheels I'd actually buy!
Brilliant choice.


I've never been interested in skirts on the Coupé. They weren't part of the original design and they look it. I like the Coupé looking thin around the waist cool

Other than the wheels party

Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1544154
08/07/2015 22:48
08/07/2015 22:48
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
Nice one mate! Looking good.



Re: New wheels! [Re: magooagain] #1544419
12/07/2015 19:32
12/07/2015 19:32
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
How much shorter did the wheel bolts have to be Ryan?



Re: New wheels! [Re: magooagain] #1544435
13/07/2015 00:19
13/07/2015 00:19
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
Trappy Offline OP
Club member 7306
Trappy  Offline OP
Club member 7306
Forum is my life

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,408
Essex
They're 27mm. Not sure how long the originals were now. I'll check tomorrow.


F****** b****** thing...
Re: New wheels! [Re: Trappy] #1544696
16/07/2015 10:21
16/07/2015 10:21
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,961
west bromwich
C
coupedummy Offline
Je suis un Coupé
coupedummy  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
C

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,961
west bromwich
Think originals are 35mm stilo run 27mm bolts.


[Linked Image]

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6474 MB (Peak: 0.7588 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:52:08 UTC