|
1 registered members (TonyB),
1,000
guests, and 6
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Lowering springs and pothole conpensation help.
#1598378
12/04/2017 21:01
12/04/2017 21:01
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Well a fe-cking roadworks diversion in the dark on a back road meant - driving over a massive pothole that punctured a rear tire, broke a suspension spring, a front wheel bearing trashed and flat-spot on the wheel.
So seeing as a need a new spring I thought I would go for a full set lowering springs. So looking for advice and availability of such.
Also can anyone advise on how to go about claiming pothole compensation ?
Last edited by Lego; 12/04/2017 21:09.
|
|
|
Re: Lowering springs and pothole conpensation help.
[Re: ]
#1598380
12/04/2017 21:55
12/04/2017 21:55
|
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920 Auld Reekie
Edinburgh
Club President, member225
|
Club President, member225
Forum veteran
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
|
Infuriating - make a claim. Go back and take photos of the pothole; Have a look at fixmystreet.com and get an FOI on their road maintenance programme Get the repairers to add likely cause of damage to the bill.
BumbleBee carer
|
|
|
Re: Lowering springs and pothole conpensation help.
[Re: ]
#1598396
13/04/2017 10:17
13/04/2017 10:17
|
GrahamL
Unregistered
|
GrahamL
Unregistered
|
If the roads near you are anything like as poorly maintained as around here then I'd definitely try to get a ride in a lowered coupe before lowering yours. I've tried lowered springs with 16" and 17" wheels and even with Bilstein dampers the ride was still too harsh so ended up back on standard wheels and springs in the end. Even had to buy a new set of standard springs as I didn't keep them when the lowered Eibachs were fitted and with my current coupe I sold the 17's that came with it and bought a set of standard wheels instead. Maybe it's just a sign of getting old and cranky.  Also been in a lowered coupe with 18" wheels which had actually cracked the windscreen when it hit a pothole!
|
|
|
Re: Lowering springs and pothole conpensation help.
[Re: ]
#1598401
13/04/2017 12:03
13/04/2017 12:03
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
Lego
Unregistered
|
If the roads near you are anything like as poorly maintained as around here then I'd definitely try to get a ride in a lowered coupe before lowering yours. I've tried lowered springs with 16" and 17" wheels and even with Bilstein dampers the ride was still too harsh so ended up back on standard wheels and springs in the end. Even had to buy a new set of standard springs as I didn't keep them when the lowered Eibachs were fitted and with my current coupe I sold the 17's that came with it and bought a set of standard wheels instead. Maybe it's just a sign of getting old and cranky.  Also been in a lowered coupe with 18" wheels which had actually cracked the windscreen when it hit a pothole! Good advice Graham, thanks. I pretty much hate the harshness with the current standard springs so maybe i should just stay standard.
|
|
|
Re: Lowering springs and pothole conpensation help.
[Re: ]
#1598508
14/04/2017 11:50
14/04/2017 11:50
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 792 Stafford
sandytim
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 792
Stafford
|
I have Joes lowering springs with Osrav dampers and it feels lush to me. If you want firm- then my daily drive T5 transporter, down in the weeds on bilstein coilovers on 20x10 rims, will show you 'real firm' !!
Last edited by sandytim; 14/04/2017 11:51.
|
|
|
|