» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 168 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,597
Posts1,341,068
Members1,801
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,784
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... #1599736
03/05/2017 09:45
03/05/2017 09:45
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
dante giacosa  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
Yesterday,

I had the somewhat unique opportunity to drive my car on an unadulterated long-distance run.

Or long-distance for me. Kirkwall to Edinburgh; 265 miles on the mainland, not withstanding the 15 miles before getting the ferry from Stromness to Scrabster.

Set off was 05:15 to get across for the ferry at 06:30, and it was 7 degrees but dry. The Coupe fired up enthusiastically, and settled into its high revs initial warm up stage as usual, before settling to an even idle.
I rolled out of a sleepy Kirkwall and saw only two other cars on my way across the island. A huge pink disc hung against the horizon in the East- enough light already to need only sidelights.
Whilst in the ferry queue, I did my final checks on tyre pressures and oil level. Somewhat against initial maintenance whilst in my care, the car has all but stopped using vast amounts of oil on high speed runs- Which is fine.

On the other side, I rolled off of the ferry, eager as usual to see what vehicles I had shared the car deck with, which would 'get in the way' on the first stages of the route South. Oddly enough, the roads cleared, with everyone stopping or deferring to petrol stations, and I was soon alone, travelling East from Thurso to Wick.

The car at this point, as always, reveals its fairly high gearing through engine note. I have noticed a popular mistake from less experienced 'guest' drivers of the VIS, that they attempt to change up into 5th, when the car is already in 5th. The engine note and torque denotes that there must be a higher gear to reach- but there isn't.

The route down to Latheron, cutting off Wick and the top North East of the country, before the A9 (East Coast) starts, was a bit misty, but still dry. the road offers significant high speed sweepers and a good surface to allow optimistic progress- its a section of road I always forget about, but in fact, although the moorland and wind farms are 'atmospheric' rather than 'scenic'- it's certainly quite relaxing.

25 miles later, upon reaching the Coast again, the road becomes less forgiving and you are confined to cambers and the visible distances between bends.
Overtaking is possible, with a drop to 4th, and the car picks up with no trouble. As I continue- this gets easier; and I realise; I'm not imagining it. Something else is happening.

I'm a big fan of a long-term maintenance plan called; mechanical-sympathy. Which is to say, that until I feel the car is ready, I won't take it over four thousand revs. The term 'ready' is usually derived by ear, as even at speed and warm, the oil-pressure doesn't really tell me anything. Longer term, if I can work out a subtle place to site it, I'm considering an oil-temperature gauge to assist with this judgement.

By the time I reach the Berriedale Braes, which involve a significant decent through a couple of hairpins (2nd gear behind a slower commercial traffic) and a momentary stop at roadworks- I can hear that the car is idling quieter- it's got less thrum, and has become more fluid in note.

On the next 25 miles to Golspie (note to self; TWO gas stations in Brora) things have turned a corner. The VIS suddenly seems to have developed an extra litre of capacity.
From as low as two and a half thousand revs, the car picks up in an awe inspiring exponential surge- the engine note doesn't even reach the kind of high revs idling pitch, as earlier- everything has gone deeper- the car has a new charisma. It builds momentum so fast, that on a couple of occasions, coming 'off the gas' isn't quick enough to lose the speed, and I actually have to brake when I pull back in from an overtaking manoeuvre.
As I pass slower traffic, I am almost embarrassed by the gurgling-thrum emanating from under the bonnet and the standard exhaust.

"what must people think!?" I think to myself!

The car starts to sing. Every corner becomes a balance between gearing and torque; everything becomes about grip and weight distribution- position in-lane, for the apex of the bend. I find myself accelerating through bends for no reason at all.
It is deeply-deeply satisfying, and my world becomes a relationship with the car, made up of gear changes, juxtaposed against camber and a beautiful scenery.

I realise that, by engine note, the car is running much faster than it had earlier- to my ear of mechanic sympathy; I am now at 80+ before I really 'hear' the revs- way too fast for most of this tarmac.

And ALL of this. all of it:- before I even hit the magic variable valve timing revs speed of five thousand- where the VIS does its trick for extra top end. I don't think I got further than four and a half thousand round the clock. Maybe four and three quarters, a couple of times...

At Birnam, I catch my first ever sighting of an Alfa Giulia, going North. I give the guy the 'Alfa-wave', which sometimes works from a Coupe- it did last year, when passing a GTA-Sportwagon in Inverness, moments before our initial meetup on the West Coast Tour...

I have done this route in a variety of machinery. Recently a few times in a German large capacity turbo diesel with four wheel drive- which must have cost (at initial purchase) twice the cost of a FIAT Coupe.
Every time I have driven it- I stop in Aviemore for a break.

Not yesterday- I couldn't come down from gears four and five, not for anything. (roundabouts at Perth notwithstanding!). Before I knew it- I was through Fife, and approaching the Forth Bridge- the new Forth Replacement Crossing towering through the mist.

Scrabster to Edinburgh; 5 hours. 20 minutes dead.

Just as I went over the Forth Bridge- 15 miles from home; the fuel light came on!

The longest straight non-stop journey I've ever done in one go in the car. It was disappointing to have to turn it off- indeed I was mildly excited to have to go back and repark it after I had arrived at my destination!

If I could gather data to work out how the car reaches this point, I would be very interested. Maybe it's the catalyst? But that is after the lambda, isn't it? Maybe it's back pressure from a warm catalyst...

Who knows- but it was sheer FIAT-Coupe-magic!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by dante giacosa; 03/05/2017 11:42. Reason: forgot to mention the Giulia!
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599741
03/05/2017 10:54
03/05/2017 10:54
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Great piece of prose sir - though I can't help wondering if some of the magic derives from the Orcadian mushrooms wink

Interesting observation about the new 'dimension' of motion experience - perhaps there is a degree of temperature reached only after a certain prolonged period of driving that 'sweetens' the mechanisms, or there again maybe it's us that reach that state of hypnosis, if you like, only after exposure to motion and sound for a similar period.

Whatever the factors it's an extended moment of magic which makes any coupe niggles totally worthwhile!

Not that it may appeal to some, but for me it might be equatable to attending a concert given by a pianist who is not technically flawless but can produce moments of magic which many don't and which make the ticket outlay completely worthwhile.

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599744
03/05/2017 11:11
03/05/2017 11:11
West Wales
Zam Offline
Reaping the fruits
Zam  Offline
Reaping the fruits

West Wales
I enjoyed reading that smile

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599745
03/05/2017 11:13
03/05/2017 11:13
Staffs
Dazvr6 Offline
My job on the forum
Dazvr6  Offline
My job on the forum

Staffs
Me too. It reads like a piece in a car magazine. thumb

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: Edinburgh] #1599746
03/05/2017 11:32
03/05/2017 11:32
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Lightwater, Surrey
Originally Posted By Edinburgh
Not that it may appeal to some, but for me it might be equatable to attending a concert given by a pianist who is not technically flawless but can produce moments of magic which many don't and which make the ticket outlay completely worthwhile.

Like Eric Morecambe playing to Andrew Preview you mean?

1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
1985½ & 2016 2017 Fiat 124 Spider + XF Sportbrake
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: DaveG] #1599750
03/05/2017 11:43
03/05/2017 11:43
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By DaveG
Originally Posted By Edinburgh

Like Eric Morecambe playing to Andrew Preview you mean?

Yes we were all Wise after that event laugh

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: Edinburgh] #1599751
03/05/2017 11:53
03/05/2017 11:53
england
C
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop
C

england
Barnacle may be along in a minute with a technical explanation but I think it is just like Edinburgh referred to. It's the love and the passion and the oneness that becomes you and the car and scenery. love The coop is one of the few cars I would just take out for a drive just for the sake of it laugh (The Brera being the only other)

Last edited by came2dance; 03/05/2017 11:53. Reason: I already wrote this once but it disappeared!

[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599752
03/05/2017 11:54
03/05/2017 11:54
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

Great write up.

I never rev mine until it's warm. Mine likes to rev past 5,000rpm to get the VIS system working, and then the engine sounds like a proper sports car. A roads are the best place for the VIS.

I've noted that the VIS experience is altered by the air temperature, the altitude and by the type of petrol. It likes cooler conditions and 97+ RON. It is also noticeably quicker with no passengers !

Perhaps it also likes nice scenery ! smile

Last edited by Gripped; 03/05/2017 11:57.
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599756
03/05/2017 12:01
03/05/2017 12:01
Ayrshire
ScouseCoupe Offline
Enjoying the ride
ScouseCoupe  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Ayrshire
A good read throughout.

1999 Rosso Corsa 20VT ( Restored )
2000 Rosso Alfa 916 Spider 2.0 T.S Lusso ( Under Restoration)

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: came2dance] #1599761
03/05/2017 12:34
03/05/2017 12:34
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Originally Posted By came2dance
Barnacle may be along in a minute with a technical explanation...

Only to point out that for me, the sweet spot is after six hours or so up the M6 and the M74, round about Callander...

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599762
03/05/2017 12:52
03/05/2017 12:52
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Forum veteran

FCSS 01684 593187
What an excellent OP, I really enjoyed reading this, your descriptions of the VIS and how they perform are bang on, there's plenty of power and they do pick up pace when they're hot, mix that with a cold, dry fresh morning and you've got yourself a bigger bang under the bonnet for sure.

Thanks for sharing thumb

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599801
03/05/2017 17:17
03/05/2017 17:17
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Southsea
Great write up Dante, thanks for sharing!

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599803
03/05/2017 18:18
03/05/2017 18:18
Kent, South East
Cooperman Offline
Former Club Membership Secretary
Cooperman  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent, South East
Really enjoyed that post, I was smiling as I read it smile

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599946
05/05/2017 12:53
05/05/2017 12:53
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
Fab piece of writing, I felt like I was there with you. I love my Vis and after reading your piece I think I may drive it 500 miles to Glasgow this year instead of taking the train.

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: AnnieMac] #1599948
05/05/2017 12:57
05/05/2017 12:57
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By AnnieMac
Fab piece of writing, I felt like I was there with you. I love my Vis and after reading your piece I think I may drive it 500 miles to Glasgow this year instead of taking the train.

Let us know when Annie and maybe we could organise an Edinburgh posse to meet you halfway... smile

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599953
05/05/2017 14:04
05/05/2017 14:04
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
thank you everyone.

The thing is Annie- motorway driving doesn't seem to have quite the same effect.

I used mine for an Edinburgh to Merseyside & back commute, that I used to do a few years back, and it never really seemed to come on song within that distance (four & a half hours).

But on Tuesday- it was purring and 'on cam' within two hours.

Maybe it is to do with a critical balance between road speed and air cooling...? If you are tickling 80+, maybe the air cools it back a bit...?

So, 'ideally' do the first two hours on the motorway, and then the rest on A-roads!

Having said that- I do remember a particularly exciting moment on the West Coast Tour, last year; where after I fell behind to get the Skye-bridge-convoy footage, I caught up with Simon, who was waiting down the road- and then we collectively 'booted it' to rejoin the convoy further on. 'Collectively', albeit with a 107bhp disparity between our vehicles.

But it was a stunning drive in that moment too.

Come to think of it- I have had some more fluid servicing since the Merseyside trips- perhaps that is also a factor. I think Toby is right; that the VIS is quite a temperature sensitive car...

I just ended up on Tuesday thinking to myself;
'is this deliberate? Did FIAT really go THIS far with the development of this engine?'
-that they created a little known secret; the car MUST be hot to get into the zone..? But then they DO run hot, don't they, the VIS's? Perhaps that's not an accident...

makes me wonder...

It also reminded me of 17 years ago, when I ran a Marea 20V and Coupe 20VT at the same time, why I thought the Marea was the better car...

P.S. having re-read my original post; I would like to apologise for the somewhat 'reduced' grammar & spelling!

Last edited by dante giacosa; 05/05/2017 14:59.
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599982
05/05/2017 20:54
05/05/2017 20:54
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

It's been said before, but there is a lot to be said for using all (or most) of the power of a less powerful car on sweeping A roads. The NA is not a great motorway car, although it is surprisingly quiet despite the high RPM. My dad drove it back from winter storage once after being used to his Skoda vRS (1.9TDi) and he was looking for 6, 7th and 8th gear on the motorway !! The Coupe loves A and B roads.. I imagine myself on the Amalfi Coast..

I used to have very fast motorbikes with over 100bhp (550bhp per tonne) and they were great, except when I kept scaring myself silly on corners.

I now have a 60bhp bike and I can use the power without too much fear. As it's an adventure styled machine, I can also use the leverage of the tall riding position to hoon round corners, leaving some of my hunched up sport bike buddies behind. Then there is the 70mpg fuel economy. Would you believe that my Honda VFR struggled to do 40mpg??

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599985
05/05/2017 21:36
05/05/2017 21:36
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
The snag I find when I drive a 20v is that it always sounds 25% faster than it's actually revving; that extra pulse per two revs.

Doesn't happen on the 20vt; the pulse is less obvious with the turbo chopping it up, and the taller final drive means you're doing fewer revs anyway.

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: barnacle] #1599987
05/05/2017 21:52
05/05/2017 21:52
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By barnacle
The snag I find when I drive a 20v is that it always sounds 25% faster than it's actually revving; that extra pulse per two revs.

Yes I've noticed this when driving the various bestially-named courtesy coops from FCSS laugh

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599992
05/05/2017 23:06
05/05/2017 23:06
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Berkshire
It also reminded me of 17 years ago, when I ran a Marea 20V and Coupe 20VT at the same time, why I thought the Marea was the better car...

There is a 20V Marea on eBay just now, bidding is around £300 so far.

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599997
06/05/2017 06:54
06/05/2017 06:54
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
What???!!!

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1599998
06/05/2017 07:04
06/05/2017 07:04
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
Hmm. London...

And unless eBay isn't working properly for me on this device- other than the fill-in-form; there's no info at all.

I'm not going to think about that. I didn't see it.

Yes- that's interesting about the pulse per revs- I was finding with time, it seemed to settle back into a warble, rather than a note, so to speak.

-that's funny Toby; and hits it right on the head I think.

Oh no- the ad is working now; I can see the info.
I'm still NOT thinking about it though...

Last edited by dante giacosa; 06/05/2017 07:07.
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: AnnieMac] #1599999
06/05/2017 08:29
06/05/2017 08:29
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By AnnieMac

There is a 20V Marea on eBay just now, bidding is around £300 so far.

Oh Annie, do you see what you've done...!!

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600004
06/05/2017 09:21
06/05/2017 09:21
Berlin
barnacle Offline
barnacle  Offline
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Bad Annie, Bad! No cookies for you! laugh

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600013
06/05/2017 12:27
06/05/2017 12:27
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
I'm still NOT thinking about it...

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600015
06/05/2017 15:00
06/05/2017 15:00
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By dante giacosa
I'm still NOT thinking about it...

VCJ hehe

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600019
06/05/2017 16:44
06/05/2017 16:44
Kent, South East
Cooperman Offline
Cooperman  Offline
My job on the forum

Kent, South East
Low mileage and history, a bit rare that age smile

[Linked Image]
Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600025
06/05/2017 19:19
06/05/2017 19:19
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
I don't know what VCJ is,

But I'm still NOT thinking about it...

much...

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600026
06/05/2017 19:21
06/05/2017 19:21
Going North on the A9
dante giacosa Offline OP
My life on the forum
My life on the forum

Going North on the A9
Oh! I have got it-

It's a Roman numeral

The benefits of a classical education...!

Re: happiness is... a warm VIS, North of Inverness... [Re: dante giacosa] #1600032
06/05/2017 21:44
06/05/2017 21:44
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Edinburgh  Offline
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By dante giacosa
Oh! I have got it-

It's a Roman numeral

The benefits of a classical education...!

Bingo laugh

BumbleBee carer smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2