|
1 registered members (TonyB),
1,000
guests, and 6
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
LED Bulbs?
#1599786
03/05/2017 15:43
03/05/2017 15:43
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Apologies if this has been discussed before, I've had a quick search and can't see any threads about it.
I've seen a fair bit on YouTube regarding LED direct replacement bulbs. I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with them, or are people just heading down the HID route?
As far as I can tell, if you change to LED bulbs I don't think there's any legal issues
Anybody got any views or advice?
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599791
03/05/2017 16:10
03/05/2017 16:10
|
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167 Glos
Brilly1uk
Club member 1034
|
Club member 1034
Competition Level
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
|
Just had some fitted myself - the difference is literally night and day! My only reservation so far is about the high beam projection distance, but I suspect this all depends on the quality of your lens?
Fiat Coupe 20VT Alfa Romeo Spider BMW X3
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599792
03/05/2017 16:14
03/05/2017 16:14
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Thanks Joe, I didn't realise there was a post.
Thanks for the replies fellas
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599793
03/05/2017 16:17
03/05/2017 16:17
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
I take it the group buy has been done & dusted now?
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: Countrycruising]
#1599800
03/05/2017 17:04
03/05/2017 17:04
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Yes the GB price is finished but Duncan can still supply the LED kits, they're maybe £5.00 more but you'd need to ring him to confirm. Thanks Joe, I'll give him a try
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: Countrycruising]
#1599814
03/05/2017 20:04
03/05/2017 20:04
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347 North Wales
Theresa
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
|
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
|
I bought mine in the group buy mentioned above and am very happy with them  I had HID's on my old Coupe, but the LED's I've put in my current Coupe are much better and instant light too, no warm up delay neither. I come home from work at midnight, so need decent lights  The LED's are illegal though, same as HID's so you need to bear that in mind. Personally, I think the original Coupe bulbs should be illegal instead
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: Countrycruising]
#1599815
03/05/2017 20:07
03/05/2017 20:07
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Superstar!  Thanks again Joe
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: Theresa]
#1599817
03/05/2017 20:14
03/05/2017 20:14
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
I bought mine in the group buy mentioned above and am very happy with them  I had HID's on my old Coupe, but the LED's I've put in my current Coupe are much better and instant light too, no warm up delay neither. I come home from work at midnight, so need decent lights  The LED's are illegal though, same as HID's so you need to bear that in mind. Personally, I think the original Coupe bulbs should be illegal instead Thanks Theresa  I didn't realise they were illegal, I thought they might have been ok, but now I'm aware. Thanks for enlightening me.
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599890
04/05/2017 15:53
04/05/2017 15:53
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Thanks Joe & everyone else for your help. I've ordered a couple of sets as I didn't want to feel left out
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599916
05/05/2017 08:34
05/05/2017 08:34
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313 FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising
Club member 914
|
Club member 914
Forum veteran
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
|
I bought mine in the group buy mentioned above and am very happy with them  I had HID's on my old Coupe, but the LED's I've put in my current Coupe are much better and instant light too, no warm up delay neither. I come home from work at midnight, so need decent lights  The LED's are illegal though, same as HID's so you need to bear that in mind. Personally, I think the original Coupe bulbs should be illegal instead Thanks Theresa  I didn't realise they were illegal, I thought they might have been ok, but now I'm aware. Thanks for enlightening me. This 'illegal' part of fitting LED's or the HID's is the power that be saying this lights must only be fitting in conjunction with head light washers, we don't have them in the UK only Europe, and to date since this new addition was added to our MOT tests I've not know anyone receive a fail, yet.
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599955
05/05/2017 14:45
05/05/2017 14:45
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Lol, thanks for clearing up the legality issue guys. Mine arrived today around 13.00 about 10 mins after I got home from work. Very pleased with the ultra fast delivery & price. Many thanks to Duncan & to you guys for your help & advice 
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599961
05/05/2017 16:20
05/05/2017 16:20
|
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,621 Leicester UK
Ballypete
My life on the forum
|
My life on the forum
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,621
Leicester UK
|
I have a little knowledge due to my occupation prior to retirement which might help..
The issue with LED replacements is that they are not type approval marked AND don't comply with European / UNECE technical standards. Even classic status cars are not exempt unfortunately. The regs on vehicle lighting go back to the 1980s.
I believe that technically speaking you also need to inform your insurer if bulbs replaced with these so be aware in case this interferes with or negates an future claim made.
With dwindling police numbers the RPU provision is being combined regionally making traffic cops an ever rarer sight, and as I recently discovered with my first Coupe an MOT certificate doesn't necessarily guarantee you have a road legal vehicle either.
So pay your money and take your chances...
Doris the 1998 Portofino Blue 20V and Zoe the 1999 Alfa Romeo 916 Spider Bog standard needn't be boring...
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: Ballypete]
#1599962
05/05/2017 16:37
05/05/2017 16:37
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
I have a little knowledge due to my occupation prior to retirement which might help..
The issue with LED replacements is that they are not type approval marked AND don't comply with European / UNECE technical standards. Even classic status cars are not exempt unfortunately. The regs on vehicle lighting go back to the 1980s.
I believe that technically speaking you also need to inform your insurer if bulbs replaced with these so be aware in case this interferes with or negates an future claim made.
With dwindling police numbers the RPU provision is being combined regionally making traffic cops an ever rarer sight, and as I recently discovered with my first Coupe an MOT certificate doesn't necessarily guarantee you have a road legal vehicle either.
So pay your money and take your chances... Thanks for that Pete, quite ironic that sometimes the most sensible mods are outlawed
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1599969
05/05/2017 17:51
05/05/2017 17:51
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794 Berlin
barnacle
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
|
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
|
The issue with lighting legality is that if the replacement is even slightly misaligned, or the light point source is the wrong shape or size, the beam pattern can be completely screwed up. (In general; not specifically pointing at the coupe).
Dazzling lights are a significant hazard - whether they're in front of you or behind, if you're dazzled, you can't see other stuff on the road. And there are plenty of people who have *normal* bulbs pointing all over the place, or who haven't got the sense to turn the fog lights off if it's not foggy...
There are other issues with HID - their tendency to turn off if the current is interrupted and not turn on without killing the power completely, and their slow turn-on. And their ability to scatter like mad when shining through a dirty cover, hence the requirements for self-levelling and washers on OEM equipment.
For what it's worth, last winter I replaced (on the Bravo) aftermarket HIDs with high brightness halogens. Having a light meter to hand, I measured before and after: the halogens were *four times* brighter than the HIDs.
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: barnacle]
#1599974
05/05/2017 18:37
05/05/2017 18:37
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
The issue with lighting legality is that if the replacement is even slightly misaligned, or the light point source is the wrong shape or size, the beam pattern can be completely screwed up. (In general; not specifically pointing at the coupe).
Dazzling lights are a significant hazard - whether they're in front of you or behind, if you're dazzled, you can't see other stuff on the road. And there are plenty of people who have *normal* bulbs pointing all over the place, or who haven't got the sense to turn the fog lights off if it's not foggy...
There are other issues with HID - their tendency to turn off if the current is interrupted and not turn on without killing the power completely, and their slow turn-on. And their ability to scatter like mad when shining through a dirty cover, hence the requirements for self-levelling and washers on OEM equipment.
For what it's worth, last winter I replaced (on the Bravo) aftermarket HIDs with high brightness halogens. Having a light meter to hand, I measured before and after: the halogens were *four times* brighter than the HIDs. Wow, I had a feeling it would be to do with dazzling oncoming vehicles and the fact they are supposed to be brighter than std bulbs. Until I'd heard about the new led hype, I was considering ultra bright halogens as I didn't want to chance my arm with the law converting to hids.
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1600058
07/05/2017 16:32
07/05/2017 16:32
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
Downhillryder
Unregistered
|
The illegality has been covered before. See HERE and it's exacltly as Ballypete has said, it's non-compliance that makes them illegal, nothing to do with washers or lowering/raising mechanisms. For legal use of hid/leds in our cars the headlamp housing has to be compliant else you can invalidate insurance and type approval. But because the MOT doesnt test compliance you can still get one of those !!!!!!
|
|
|
Re: LED Bulbs?
[Re: ]
#1600074
07/05/2017 21:02
07/05/2017 21:02
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Mark_D
Unregistered
|
Thanks for that, I've usually just put brighter bulbs such as the Rings or Night Breakers on my car, but I might try the leds as I've now bought them. I'll have to decide how I feel personally regarding the rights or wrongs and sum up what I'm happy with. Thanks again for the input 
|
|
|
|