Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (phil16vturbo), 1,057 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? #1600282
10/05/2017 13:20
10/05/2017 13:20
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
So been searching for Bilstein B6's for my track day car and have almost given up. They were discontinued (fronts) some 18months to 2 years ago (so I am told by everyone I've approached).

So what is the alternative we should be looking at?
On this thread: TrackDay Kerr20VT was discussing his BC Coilovers and equally Nigel was asking after them?

So my car is predominately for the track, so I'm not looking for a compromise between being comfortable on crappy UK roads and the Circuit.

I've also spoken to Balance MotorSport and they are offering a Koni Front and Bilstein rear Package , but as I'm looking for new springs all round, do I just go with a good quality Coilover and if so which ones?

Appreciate some thoughts, many thanks in advance

Regards

Last edited by godders; 10/05/2017 13:20. Reason: can't spell :o/
Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600289
10/05/2017 15:06
10/05/2017 15:06
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
My track coupe has Osrav adjustable suspension front and back with eibach sport springs. It's a hard ride,but that's what they are for on track.

Nigel also has them I think on his coupe for quite sometime.



Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600302
10/05/2017 18:23
10/05/2017 18:23
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
Hi Joe,

Yes I think these Osrav are good and reaching out to a few people Gaz Gold coilovers also seem to be gaining some traction. Think Kerr20vt was looking at them too and I understand they are fitted to Marco's track car

I'll keep looking and let you know how I get on

Cheers

Sg

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600303
10/05/2017 18:32
10/05/2017 18:32
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
Yes Marco had Gaz golds,but it's now countrycruising,s car and I'm not sure if they are still on the car.



Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600307
10/05/2017 19:25
10/05/2017 19:25

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



no Sparco sold the Gaz coil overs to someone else when he split the car because i was going to buy them but didn't get there fast enough.

Im moving over to a full BC's setup in the next week due to only buying the rears to start with (weird story ask and i will tell) and I've ran the BC coil over on the rear for the last 2 years on track and i must say they are spot on compared to the Fk coil overs i had before and the Koni adjustable i had before that. there very good but like i say i can not comment on the fronts until they turn up and i get the car back on track.

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600308
10/05/2017 19:27
10/05/2017 19:27

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



The problem with the Gaz set is you have to cut the suspension turrets a little bit which I'm not a fan of where the BC's are a direct fit and cheaper.

If your going full track car id always choose a coil over instead of a normal fast road strut and spring

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: ] #1600379
12/05/2017 08:43
12/05/2017 08:43
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
Hi Adam,

Very interesting, not entirely sure I like the idea of cutting turrets either, do you have to cut the turrets to facilitate the top mount?

Which BC's you going for? Balance Motorsport were recommending the BR: https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/bc-...t-coupe-year-93-00-part-no-zo-01-br.html

I was originally thinking of Coilovers but your Bro' was taking me down the route of Eibach Springs and Bilstein dampers, but as the latter are EOL and unless second hand were unavailable, I was after something that had a bit of supply longevity.

Where are you getting your front BC's from as your are doing a good job at persuading down the this route. What top mounts do they run? The appeal of the Gaz units also was they had pillow mounts so camber can be quite easily adjusted, though to be fair I think this was a feature of the Max Caster Mounts rather than the units themselves!

Cheers

Sg

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600456
13/05/2017 09:55
13/05/2017 09:55
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,580
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,580
Melbourne, Australia
For a track car without coil overs, Konis are great. More than enough damping for Eibach springs. They are not a compromise for the street.

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600661
16/05/2017 22:12
16/05/2017 22:12

M
mootch
Unregistered
mootch
Unregistered
M



i am in the process of making up my own using separate components, will let you know how i get on, should be well cheaper than the usual makes etc.

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1600983
20/05/2017 17:06
20/05/2017 17:06

M
mootch
Unregistered
mootch
Unregistered
M



Does anybody know the bump and rebound rates for bilstein b6, or the koni dampers please.

Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: ] #1601054
21/05/2017 18:01
21/05/2017 18:01
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
So "for now" crazy I've gone for BC Coilovers (BR's).
to pair with my Eilbach ARBS.

I've got an option on some Eilbach Springs and potentially some Bil' dampers but these would need a refurb.

I'm matching this with Powerflex Bushes to new Wishbones and drop links and we'll be replacing rear subframe mounts with solid bushes too. So once I've sold the children to afford this (and new tyres - so the Mrs will need to work the streets) I'm hoping to have a reasonably confidence inspiring setup - will let you know how it all goes, though all the bits don't get bolted on until mid July!

Regards

Sg


Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1601063
21/05/2017 19:17
21/05/2017 19:17
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
I think my Bilsteins might benefit from a refurb, one of my plans for the winter but need to find out two things first - can Bilstein actually do this and if so how much. The answer to this may affect whether I go ahead with that or change to Coilovers. The the question would be which ones.


Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: andyps] #1601072
21/05/2017 20:50
21/05/2017 20:50
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 362
The Shire
skeandubh Offline
Making a profit
skeandubh  Offline
Making a profit

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 362
The Shire
Originally Posted by andyps
I think my Bilsteins might benefit from a refurb, one of my plans for the winter but need to find out two things first - can Bilstein actually do this and if so how much. The answer to this may affect whether I go ahead with that or change to Coilovers. The the question would be which ones.


Maybe try This


[Linked Image]
Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: skeandubh] #1601083
22/05/2017 01:00
22/05/2017 01:00
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
andyps Offline
Club member 1482
andyps  Offline
Club member 1482
My job on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,309
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
That is what I was thinking of, trouble is you only get a firm price when they have the shocks with them from what I understand.


Andy

[Linked Image]
Re: Alternative to Bilsteins shocks? [Re: godders] #1601084
22/05/2017 01:47
22/05/2017 01:47
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
Yup Andy, skeandubh,

I dropped them a note and they said "paraphrasing" that they cannot give an accurate quote until they have inspected the dampers. Which is fair enough but will try and push for an "okay but ballpark idea please" after all if the minimum price is £200 a damper then it makes no sense!

That said the advantage with the Coilovers is you have loads of settings, rebound rate, ride height etc to mess around with and get wrong rolleyes, who wouldn't want that?

Sg


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.024s Queries: 14 (0.016s) Memory: 0.6591 MB (Peak: 0.7828 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:14:03 UTC