Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 538 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,309
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,904
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hello All, #1608793
01/10/2017 21:01
01/10/2017 21:01

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



Hi All,

I am finally I happy owner of a Yellow 20vt, I believe its previous owners are on here. Reg ends UUT.

I am please with it, but it definately has issues.

For starters, I filled it with petrol to bring it home, to find a large puddle of petrol on the floor under the rear end! Anyone has any ideas if this is a common issue?

Also, the headlights! wow! I never new a car could have highbeam lights that are actually dimmer than dipped beam chinny I would like to go down the HID route on these, anyone have any advice on what ones to get?

Thanks all.

James

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608805
02/10/2017 07:20
02/10/2017 07:20

B
Blueboyracer
Unregistered
Blueboyracer
Unregistered
B



Welcome James

I have not heard many speak of petrol puddles after fuelling - but without stating the obvious you should not drive the car in that condition. Could have just been overfill - but may be something much worse.

As for headlights welcome to the fold - HID will help for sure but if your lenses are very glazed - then aesthetically there are many products out there to help them look better.

Jordan put up a great couple of videos demonstrating LED vs HID

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/...mp;Words=HID&Search=true#Post1592809

Again welcome
Richard

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608808
02/10/2017 07:49
02/10/2017 07:49
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Welcome James wave

The fuel leak issue could be either the filling pipe under the drivers rear arch liner not sealed or the clip is missing, cracked lid to the swirl pot on the top of the fuel tank or the swirl pot seal/locking ring has been incorrectly fitted.

Standard headlight bulbs... pants! crazy

LED's on high and dipped, awesome difference thumb

Re: Hello All, [Re: Countrycruising] #1608817
02/10/2017 11:07
02/10/2017 11:07

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



Hi, Thanks for the info,

I have ordered the following to try out from Amazon, what do you recon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I4J78J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XY3B6TL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was thinking the HID on Dipped and LED on High due to the slight delay with HID's.

I will set about looking at the fuel leak today hopefully, being a coupe noob, the top of the tank, is it accessible under the rear seats like most of my older cars or do I need to drop the tank.

You'll get to know that I am not shy by any imagination when it comes to mechanics and very seldom do I book my cars in for work.

On the plus side I have a family member that has years and years as a Fiat master tech.

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608818
02/10/2017 11:15
02/10/2017 11:15

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



Hi,

Thanks for the info, I have had some very very good experience with wet and dry on plastic headlamp lenses followed up with a polish. Done this on a Suzuki Ignis, Ford C-Max, BMW 530D and they have always come up crystal clear.


Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608821
02/10/2017 12:10
02/10/2017 12:10
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,296
Staffs
Dazvr6 Offline
My job on the forum
Dazvr6  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,296
Staffs
Hi James,
The top of the tank is accessible in the boot once the carpet is removed thumb

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608840
02/10/2017 19:29
02/10/2017 19:29

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



Someone has had the pump out at some point, the black cover was only just held in place by 3 screws, the big retaining ring was tight but not screwed right down.

I set about removing a lot of unnecessary ICE wiring today, and realised quite how bad the wiring was in the car.

It has/had a clifford concept 550 alarm installed by a cow boy, along with a turbo timer. every single wire on the alarm to the ignition and central locking was cut and twisted together and tape wrapped around them. the wiring going to the ignition switch was nearly bare with the insulating tape hanging off. absolutely disgraceful!!!

So, anyone have any recommendations for an alarm?

Also, after putting everything back together, I went to start it and the fuel pump didn't fire up and engine would not start at all.

I tried with the red key as well but had no luck, then tried it again and all seems ok! Am I missing something? I did disconnect the battery.

I noticed the interior fan didnt come on either.

Thanks
james

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608844
02/10/2017 19:44
02/10/2017 19:44
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
Hi James,

In reference to the headlamps it is definitely worth giving them a polish to get rid of any hazing, along side fitting the new LED's.

I can't specifically help with your current issue, although I went through a period of disconnecting my battery daily due to a battery drain and never had any issues with it not starting once plugged back in. I did forget to disarm the alarm a few times once plugged back in, to the annoyance of my neighbours as I fumbled about getting the key fob!

I suggest a post in the technical section of the forum with your current issues, as that are has more user traffic for solving problems.

Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608860
02/10/2017 21:29
02/10/2017 21:29
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904
Auld Reekie
James, check the inertia switch in case it's tripped.

Put your hand on the bonnet release handle, then move your hand towards you about 4" then upwards, right on the A pillar. There's a white-ish block about the size of two relays with a black rubber cover on the top - press the top down and if it clicks you might be back in business.


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608874
03/10/2017 05:51
03/10/2017 05:51
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,117
Berkshire
AnnieMac Offline
Enjoying the ride
AnnieMac  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,117
Berkshire
Regarding the fuel pump - after I had a new one in my VIS, the car's acceleration improved enormously.


[Linked Image]
Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608922
03/10/2017 20:32
03/10/2017 20:32

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



So I've been busy this evening!

1. I think my starting issues are to do with low battery? had it again toady after messing around with headlights, noticed the fan in the car wouldn't come on either, then after a good charge it was all fine again??

2. Sorted my really really poor headlights.

Hopefully these images work.

Dipped Beam HID
click to enlarge

Main Beam LED
click to enlarge

Beam Lighting up my BMW
click to enlarge

Inside headlight rear of LED Main beam
click to enlarge

Underside of light with HID Ballast stuck to underside of headlamp.
click to enlarge

Last edited by JamesWorts; 03/10/2017 21:45.
Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608924
03/10/2017 20:59
03/10/2017 20:59
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,904
Auld Reekie
Good start!

It has to be said your pictures are quite er...........BIG


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Hello All, [Re: ] #1608927
03/10/2017 21:12
03/10/2017 21:12
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
nottinghamshire
I
ianmorton Offline
Newbie
ianmorton  Offline
Newbie
I

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
nottinghamshire
Just hid / led mine awesome difference, great to see where your going (never been a strong point on italian cars)

Re: Hello All, [Re: Edinburgh] #1608934
03/10/2017 21:41
03/10/2017 21:41

J
JamesWorts
Unregistered
JamesWorts
Unregistered
J



oops!

I'll sort them


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 0.6526 MB (Peak: 0.7760 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 03:47:20 UTC