» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,440
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,521
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,296
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,662
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coupe quandary #1624132
20/08/2018 13:53
20/08/2018 13:53
Stoke on Trent, UK
Vinno Offline OP
Enjoying the ride
Vinno  Offline OP
Enjoying the ride

Stoke on Trent, UK
Hi,

As the title suggest I’m currently in a bit of a quandary about what to do with my Coupe.

It’s been a bit neglected to be honest and ideally I would like to sell it but I’m not sure what its worth in its current state. There are a few things which need doing but I’m not sure if they’re worth doing before selling it or even if they’re worth doing at all?
Ok so here goes, in an attempt to keep it as brief as possible I’ll just list the facts.

• 120,000 Miles
• MOT done in June and sailed through with no advisories.
• Cam belt is way overdue, to the tune of about 8 years (this is turning me into a nervous wreck every time I drive it laugh crazy )
• Exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing
• Partial service history
• Steering alignment issue from hitting a pothole as detailed here
• The car runs fine once it’s warm and the manifold issue isn’t as apparent
• Had a £3,400 engine rebuild in 2005 at 70,500 miles (I’ll just copy what’s on the receipt)
- Rebuild with replacement crankshaft ground with new shells, 2 new conrods, new oil pump
- Overhaul head, remove valves and cut all seats and faces.
- Rebuild with new gaskets and seals
- Replace timing belt and tensioners, replace clutch with kit
• Bodywork isn’t great, very dull and faded with a couple of dings from stones and careless people in car parks etc. It looks great after a wash and polish/wax but fades after a few weeks.
• Wheels are absolutely knackered. They were like that when I bought it and I just never got around to having them done.
• Rust wise I have no idea about underneath (never mentioned in any MOTs), but there is a bit on the back wheel arches.
• Interior of the car is actually in really good shape apart from a small 1 inch rip on the driver seat. I’ve had passengers in it probably about 10 times in 12 years (sad). The carpet on the driver’s side is quite worn in one spot come to think of it.

I still use the car daily just to keep the battery charged more than anything else. I’ve averaged less than 500 miles in each of the last few years mainly due to me being in and out of work, which also explains the mounting up of jobs which need doing.

It’s never let me down over the 12 years I’ve had it apart from stupid things like a jubilee clip breaking causing me to block traffic on the A500 at rush hour. I actually think that’s the only time it ever broke down.

I am well aware that its far from a great example and if I could have poured money into it over the years I would have frown - I’m just after some advice really as to what I should do with it. I really can’t afford to get the jobs done and I don’t know if they’re worth doing?

If it’s worth saving I’d rather sell it to someone who has the money and desire to sort the car out rather than it just languishing in front of my house until its sent to the big scrapyard in the sky whenever that may be.

Cheers in advance for any advice and I’ll answer any questions. Pictures can be taken if needed.

Vinno

Re: Coupe quandary [Re: Vinno] #1624133
20/08/2018 14:04
20/08/2018 14:04
Didcot - Oxon
RusH Offline
My life on the forum
RusH  Offline
My life on the forum

Didcot - Oxon
The belt is the biggest ticking time bomb for you....

As you've said if it's flying through the MOT with no advisory's you obviously have a good car.

With the re-build and the mileage (120K is really not that high for these cars) you'll have years left on the road (with good maintenance!).

Ignore the bodywork and the wheels for the moment - they are just cosmetics.

I'd stick some money aside and get the Cambelt done as a minimum then see how you feel about it.

If you sell that will be the first thing that potential buyer will ask you....

Coupe now sold!
Re: Coupe quandary [Re: Vinno] #1624158
21/08/2018 08:55
21/08/2018 08:55
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Behind Enemy Lines
Ditto what RusH say's,

Your car does not sound like a basket case by any means - but without the basics belts changed and full major service- what sales figure would it attract?

Versus:

Your car sounds like a sound base to save it - get the basics done - and then push on to getting her in tip top condition.

Obviously its all about how much your heart is in the car- as you sound like your at that difficult level where there is likely not too much difference between the cost of getting everything done-against getting the car in tip top shape.

You can't leave her stuck outside though- that will be very heart breaking!

Regards

MM

Re: Coupe quandary [Re: Vinno] #1624580
31/08/2018 18:00
31/08/2018 18:00
Staffordshire
L
Lee_k Offline
On a journey
Lee_k  Offline
On a journey
L

Staffordshire
Where abouts in stoke are you? - I'm stoke too!

I'd certainly get that belt done - especially when regular short journeys are known to reduce life of a belt!

Lee