Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? #1632044
28/04/2019 11:03
28/04/2019 11:03
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K

After a rather excellent track day at Goodwood (definitely a Coupe circuit), I now realise, as people say, once you start tuning you are on a never ending slippery slope.

I now find with just under 1/2 tank of fuel on long fast right hand bends I’m suffering fuel starvation (fuel presumably moves to left of tank away from fuel pickup).

As I’m getting close (300BHP) to the maximum capacity of the standard fuel pump, I’m thinking a swirl pot of some sort should be on my list.

I’ve searched the site for Swirl+pot and all that comes up is details on the standard unit in the fuel pump/sender.

So .... does anyone have any recommendations, advice or suggestions of what I should be doing to prevent this fuel starvation and is a swirl pot the way to go?

Thanks guys

Sg

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632052
28/04/2019 14:30
28/04/2019 14:30
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
I'm told a 300hp coupe doesn't need an upgraded pump,but I have around 300 and I have an upgraded pump and don't suffer any fuel problems on track.
Mine is a Walbro 225 with the wiring mod.

Last edited by magooagain; 28/04/2019 14:34.


Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632055
28/04/2019 15:51
28/04/2019 15:51
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,580
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,580
Melbourne, Australia
I've never had surge on a track, even when the light is on!

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632081
29/04/2019 21:59
29/04/2019 21:59

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



Ive had Surge a few times at Cadwell and Brands on the long left handers before i fitted the Swirl Pot. Id suggest getting an externally mounted one if you can because you do get some fumes in the car some time if the car is left in the sun, doesn't bother some people but it does to me.

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632082
29/04/2019 22:00
29/04/2019 22:00

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



I have spoken to Joe a few times about how to mount outside and on my next phase of build mines going to be underneath

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632944
30/05/2019 17:36
30/05/2019 17:36
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
"outside" where would you mount it outside?

I'm thinking of this:

https://www.racinglines.com/store/fuel-system/fuel-swirl-pots?product_id=1508

And mounting in the boot, OS, snuggly against the boot floor and wheel arch.
I'm a tad surprised the Joe and Scuder's have never had problems - clearly not trying hard enough laugh

Sg


Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1632953
30/05/2019 21:27
30/05/2019 21:27

K
knight7660
Unregistered
knight7660
Unregistered
K



Originally Posted by godders
"outside" where would you mount it outside?

I'm thinking of this:

https://www.racinglines.com/store/fuel-system/fuel-swirl-pots?product_id=1508

And mounting in the boot, OS, snuggly against the boot floor and wheel arch.
I'm a tad surprised the Joe and Scuder's have never had problems - clearly not trying hard enough laugh

Sg



Not pushing hard enough was my thinking as well wink im sure Joe is fast being a very seasoned track goer now

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: ] #1633617
28/06/2019 13:15
28/06/2019 13:15

J
JohnS
Unregistered
JohnS
Unregistered
J



I used to have an external swirl pot in the rear wheel well along with a Bosch 044 pump, the in-tank pump was just used as a lift pump. That would remove the risk

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1633712
04/07/2019 07:57
04/07/2019 07:57
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
You don't need a swirl pot at 300bhp - I don't have one at nearly 500 (although I can suffer a bit of starvation when the tank is less than a quarter full).

Simply uprate your in-tank pump and do the wiring mod if you haven't already

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1634477
06/08/2019 16:30
06/08/2019 16:30
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
G
godders Offline OP
On a journey
godders  Offline OP
On a journey
G

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 157
Surrey Hills, U.K
Thanks for the responses JohnS and Nigel.

I've already undertaken the wiring Mod, I'm not really sure uprating the in-tank pump will solve my problem, if the pump cannot draw fuel, irrespective of how powerful it is, the same issue will be occur.
To your point Nigel, I think its usage of the car, in very long very fast right handers on circuit, I'm pulling quite significant forces, the fuel moves to the left of the tank and the fuel pickup is on the right-hand-side of the tank - hence the issue I see.

I've really only experienced this as I've undertaken the next set of suspension enhancements and ... am now able to really push the track tyres hard.
I would also add, that on most tracks I do not see this issue, however on certain tracks I do and want to avoid damaging the engine by subjecting it to any fuel starvation.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Sg

Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: godders] #1634481
06/08/2019 20:27
06/08/2019 20:27
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club member 259
Forum is my life

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,799
In the coupe.
I imagine if you are going to install a swirl pot you will need to put in an uprated pump. So it may be an idea to try the uprated pump first and see how you go.

Perhaps with Nigel's car and mine it's all about the Osrav suspension keeping us flat.
I have used mine on a very tight circuit in the past and have had no problems. Maybe I'm just slow.



Re: Fuel starvation - Swirl Pot? [Re: magooagain] #1634482
06/08/2019 20:38
06/08/2019 20:38
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by magooagain
I imagine if you are going to install a swirl pot you will need to put in an uprated pump. So it may be an idea to try the uprated pump first and see how you go.

Perhaps with Nigel's car and mine it's all about the Osrav suspension keeping us flat.
I have used mine on a very tight circuit in the past and have had no problems. Maybe I'm just slow.


Yes that's the plan, I'll be fitting the swirl pot with an 044 pump so there's no chance of the engine suffering fuel starvation again, which does happen quite a lot on track, just that people don't realise until it's too late, det det bang cracked piston!


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 14 (0.010s) Memory: 0.6473 MB (Peak: 0.7495 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:31:57 UTC