|
1 registered members (Edinburgh),
1,160
guests, and 3
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
The World is Bewildering
#1637134
28/11/2019 21:45
28/11/2019 21:45
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
I’m in a battle with my builder (isn’t everyone?) over, in particular, some double glazing (isn’t everyone?)..
Anyhow, after many many attempts of the contractor and others to fix the faults (unsuccessfully) I’ve now refused to let them continue and have demanded replacements (under consumer protection law). I have not paid for the bifolds.
Here’s the weird bit: the builder’s solicitor is demanding I give access to the contractors to fix the issues. The solicitor is also claiming that the doors are not faulty. Anybody spot the contradiction here?
I have loads of emails from the builder admitting that the doors were months late, badly installed and even faulty.
I feel like I’m missing something. Anybody understand what’s going on? The world’s gone mad.
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637135
28/11/2019 21:54
28/11/2019 21:54
|
Ronski
Unregistered
|
Ronski
Unregistered
|
Hmmm, does seem to be a bit of a contradiction there. I had a really bad time with my builder, and he only built the shell to watertight.
As for bi-folds I fitted my own, what's wrong with yours?
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637136
28/11/2019 22:07
28/11/2019 22:07
|
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 363 Free State of Jones
clanger
Making a profit
|
Making a profit
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 363
Free State of Jones
|
Here’s the weird bit: the builder’s solicitor is demanding I give access to the contractors to fix the issues. The solicitor is also claiming that the doors are not faulty. Anybody spot the contradiction here?
No. [/i]"The laws an ass"[i] Remember that quote? They are asking they be allowed access to fix the "issue", they are not in anyway stating that they recognise the doors are faulty. One does not follow the other. its all in the language. They will likely try and paint you as the problem if you persist in refusing access. I sympathise
1/1/26 fccuk forum monetised. RIP
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637154
29/11/2019 14:57
29/11/2019 14:57
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
I’ve checked on the legal definition of faulty and my rights with regards to rejecting the windows:
Faulty is if a reasonable person considers them faulty. The factory-fitted external seals are too short and all need replacing (amongst other faults). My legal advice is that they are clearly faulty. In fact I have a long list of faults that the builder sent me after the manufacturer inspected them including inner and outer seals needing replacing, magnets needing replacing, missing parts fitted, brush seals needing gluing. I think a “reasonable person” would consider them as faults.
The delays (again, according to my legal advice) are also a reason to request a price reduction.
Im engaging a lawyer to go after the builder with a counter claim - in for a penny.
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637177
30/11/2019 07:11
30/11/2019 07:11
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
Thanks, C7. It might be that some bits can be replaced on the Nth attempt to repair them but we’re left with a sense of appalling quality and a set of bifolds should last at least, what, 10 years? If you bought a washing machine and it kept breaking down and bits falling off - washing machines are easy to fix - they’re just made up of parts: new seal here and a bit of glue there too - would you put up with it for 9 months? Maybe you would but I certainly wouldn’t nor would most people.
And, maybe I wasn’t clear, but the 5 month delay in the windows being installed was a 5 month delay in having a kitchen, hall and living room which meant my wife and daughter (being treated for leukaemia) had to remain in a rented house. My wife couldn’t get a full-time job. Rough numbers that cost us £3000 per month in costs and lost earnings. Couple that to the reason for the windows initially not arriving is that the window subcontractor lied about placing the order (which he’s admitted) and you might begin to get some sense of where my claim might lie.
There’s much much more background to this story but my point was simply: how can the bifolds not be considered faulty when they need to fix faults? It’s pretty much the dictionary definition of faulty.
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637227
02/12/2019 14:08
02/12/2019 14:08
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
Thanks, C7 - the more legal advice I get, the less I can understand what the builder (and his legal advice) is trying to do.
For example: their letter says they will be charging interest on the outstanding amount. However, his T&Cs, which they copied in the letter, says interest won’t be charged during dispute.
There’s lots more that just makes absolutely no sense.
As for the alternative view, I’ve tried discussing this on numerous (too many) occasions with the builder as I don’t want legal action but I don’t see a choice now that he’s started it - I’m certainly not going to roll over and pay him.
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: ]
#1637851
30/12/2019 13:51
30/12/2019 13:51
|
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 566 Guildford, Surrey, UK
Punto16VT
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 566
Guildford, Surrey, UK
|
Just my 10p, but I'd take a claim to Small Claims Court. Copies of all e-mails, contracts etc. would likely make that a walk.
At times I despair of the lack of professionalism and responsibility in what passes for tradesmen these days.
Last edited by Punto16VT; 30/12/2019 13:54.
Sprinty Coupe 20VT6 1949 White Abarth Punto Grande SS Stromboli Grey Alfa 159 Ti Abarth 695 Rivale
|
|
|
Re: The World is Bewildering
[Re: Punto16VT]
#1637866
31/12/2019 18:10
31/12/2019 18:10
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
MeanRedSpider
Unregistered
|
Just my 10p, but I'd take a claim to Small Claims Court. Copies of all e-mails, contracts etc. would likely make that a walk.
At times I despair of the lack of professionalism and responsibility in what passes for tradesmen these days. Unfortunately, the amount involved is beyond that of the small claims court. Worth being aware that it’s taken longer to validate my house insurance legal cover than the time I was given (28 days) under the disputes protocol. I’ve paid a (private) solicitor to ask for an extension which has been granted. Yup - I find I end up doing jobs that I’d happily pay someone to do simply because I’ll either get an idiot doing a crap job or I’ll wait months for one of the few people that takes pride in their work.
|
|
|
|