» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (CVL200), 283 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,419
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,659
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe #1641380
27/05/2020 12:35
27/05/2020 12:35
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline OP
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline OP
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Behind Enemy Lines
I guess one of the benefits of covid 19 (and there have to be some bright sides to this craziness) is that for many people, they are re-thinking how they will live their life once we get over this thing. And whilst the media talk about a "new normal" (whatever that may be) most people I speak to far from wanting to sit inside for the rest of their lives tell me that they want to get out more, travel more, do more with their lives.

Maybe that was the mindset for the interesting events (for me) over the last weekend.

Worth saying all the following events occurred under full social distancing rules too. All obeyed the speed limit and road rules, and all had the necessary insurances. Just so no one panics or complains.

I'm looking to change my daily commute vehicle this year. And with the realisation that after Covid I WON'T be doing so much driving- the parameters have increased to be a minimum 3 litre diesel estate something. I'm bored with the VAG offerings- so BMW, or maybe even a Mercedes are all in the frame. And a Jag as well- although I hear good and bad thngs about that.

So when one of my friends got a new company car a 4 series BMW GT, with the 3 litre v6 diesel engine-well needless to say I have been gently nagging him to let me have a go. He's always liked my coupe-always wanted one back in the day. So we agreed to "go shopping" in each others cars. this weekend.

Another friend had promised to lend me her Mercedes AMG to "go shopping" as well. But surprised me by placing a Porsche Key on to the table- she had picked up a 2014 Cayman S, with just 16k of miles on it and a manual, 2 weeks ago without telling anyone.

Suddenly the trip to marks and sparks and then to Tesco's would be very interesting.

The BMW was like the Starship Enterprise, there were so many lights, buttons, info screens, digital displays, options, I could not take it all in. But it was so quiet and just hovered over the road. No tire noise, no wind noise. The owner told me he had never taken it past legal limits and was quite bored with the car. Well there was little feel to anything the car did- steering did feel dead and there was no real difference I could sense. But it was effortless, and putting it in different sport modes, you could hear the v6 rumble. And when I glanced down at the speedo- I had to make sure I was very careful not to break any limits. There was no rush- like you get in the coupe- just oodles and oodles of torque. No sense of struggle-just dollops of power. The car could pull Ben Nevis from a standstill I think. A little dead, and I could understand him saying it was booring. But a real mile muncher- and in complete luxury.

The Cayman S...well it was my Porsche Cherry. And I am still smiling about it now. Everything inside was a touch above the quality of the BMW, even though some of the switch gear was in odd places. The handbrake release under the right had side dash for instance. Digital displays on the dials meant you could check everything, from g forces to engine temps on screen, or sat nav, but the central rev counter was analogue - the speedo at 25 mile an hour increments was pretty useless- but the speed shows up a digital reading so you can check how fast you are going. I was told to start it up with the sport exhaust on...yes I know its programmes to pop nd bang...but what fun! Under way-everything was silky smooth. What I noticed from the coupe was the lack of squeaks, rattles, bumps. But it certainly did go! I would say it did not feel as fast as the coupe (my has been breathed on by Fle, and loved by Joe) from 2-5k of revs. But as I started to get used to it- pretty much every well worn statement about a 911/cayman was true. The six speed manual was like a bolt action rifle- especially 5th to 3rd, and when on a road to allow it-opening the engine past 5k of revs- and that famous flat 6 starts another power curve and that whisks you along. No doubt faster then a coop this one either...handled fantastically well on squiggly bits too. But I would say my coupe would never loose sight of this car. I don't think that's wistful thinking. But the handling of the Porsche was next world stuff in my view. Mid engine -as Colin Chapman so rightly said!

I told both my friends to use the revs on my coupe- but watch the speedo. Both came back beaming from their trips to the shops. They had really enjoyed my car. The BMW driver said he had always wanted one. The Porsche driver...well I think she was really shocked just how quickly my old coop could wisk her down the road.

The lessons learnt for me were/are 1) I do want to test drive a BMW 330d Touring Estate next. Quite impressed with them. 2) Porsche, well that was a drive hard to ignore. Want to try another again. SOON. As I get why people rate them as drivers cars now.

3) My old Coupe. Well its 25 years on. I pamper mine, I treat it as a high days and holidays GT car. Trip to Scotland? Trip to France? In the recarro seats- I have not had any of the back ache I used to get in the old standard leather seats-which marred the enjoyment. Has performance and power moved on the last 25 years? Yes. But my view-and I tried not to have rose specs on, was that while both these 90K of cars were ultimately faster then my coupe (my coupe not those with really tricked out 350+ coupes) and certainly a tad more civilised to be in - the coupe could give all of them a bit of a surprise. And certainly wouldn't loose site of them in modern traffic/motorway. A circuit? I'm sure that cayman could outrun it- but I just don't drive like they do in top gear....

So My Coupe held its head high. Unique styling. Performance that is fast enough to surprise. Everyone loved the interior. And were amazed it went like it did. Having working a/c on a hot day was nice too. And we get all this for what £5-£10k?

Well- I just wanted to share this rambling post. I guess I am just trying to say- here's to some driving adventures for all of us when its safe to do so.

I'll be giving the old girl a nice drive this weekend. And a 2 bucket wash and polish.

Hope this finds you all well,

Regards

MM

Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641384
27/05/2020 14:34
27/05/2020 14:34
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Great write up MM. Also fancy driving those cars.

Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641389
27/05/2020 18:49
27/05/2020 18:49
Bulgaria
french_coupe Offline
Club member 773
french_coupe  Offline
Club member 773
Enjoying the ride

Bulgaria
Nice read and very informative.

lost in space
Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641396
27/05/2020 22:19
27/05/2020 22:19
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Enjoyed this MM, it's been a while since we had a good "coupe-lerv" epistle!

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641401
27/05/2020 22:48
27/05/2020 22:48
J
JKD Offline
Forum is my job
JKD  Offline
Forum is my job
J

Nice to read that the 25 year old Coop isn't embarrassed in the company of much more expensive and modern machines!

Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641404
28/05/2020 09:58
28/05/2020 09:58
Germany
neil_r Offline
Enjoying the ride
neil_r  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Germany
Originally Posted by Master_Mariner
And a Jag as well- although I hear good and bad thngs about that.

The XF is a nice drive - probably better than the 3 German equivalents in terms of handlíng, feedback and ride balance. The pre-2016 model (X250) appears to be slightly more reliable than the X260 but both are actually good according to German "mot" results - better than the 3 German equivalents. Definitely worth a look.

1997 20V
2000 V6 manual S-Type and 2011 5.0 XKR
2016 Tucson 1.6T AWD
2018 Mazda2 GT
Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: neil_r] #1641408
28/05/2020 15:38
28/05/2020 15:38
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline OP
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline OP
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Behind Enemy Lines
Originally Posted by neil_r
Originally Posted by Master_Mariner
And a Jag as well- although I hear good and bad thngs about that.

The XF is a nice drive - probably better than the 3 German equivalents in terms of handlíng, feedback and ride balance. The pre-2016 model (X250) appears to be slightly more reliable than the X260 but both are actually good according to German "mot" results - better than the 3 German equivalents. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks Neil_r - will keep them on the list.!!

Re: The BMW, The Porsche, and The Coupe [Re: Master_Mariner] #1641420
28/05/2020 23:27
28/05/2020 23:27
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Online content
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Online Content
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Lightwater, Surrey
I've got a 2013 XF Sportbrake (estate) as my every day pipe and slippers car, had it 4 years now, was going to get the 3 litre diesel but the 2.2D is a more reasonable proposition, in terms of tax and fuel costs. I bought out the lease from the first owner. I don't use the 7 speed paddles but leave it in fully auto, plenty of poke and if I want to go faster then I have the Fiats for that. It's just such an easy car to drive, very comfortable and good spec with touch screen, reverse camera, cruise control, good sound system with bluetooth for the phone (there's a higher spec B&W system but the standard one is pretty good). Only problems have been the door locks, cheap JLR rubbish from China, either won't lock or won't open from outside. I have changed the driver's door lock twice, seems to have settled into a pattern of being OK unless passenger door opened first, and rear passenger door won't open from the outside, I have a replacement but can't be bothered to change it. Got genuine roof bars and fitted an aftermarket towbar myself for carrying 4 or 2 bikes. Only using it once a week at the moment to go shopping frown

1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
1985½ & 2016 2017 Fiat 124 Spider + XF Sportbrake