Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,259 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What is needed to rebuild a turbo? #1641079
13/05/2020 11:57
13/05/2020 11:57

S
sjbrophy
Unregistered
sjbrophy
Unregistered
S



Lockdown makes things tough, but my Coupe is safely with my buddy who has installed a new engine.The boost has been wonky though - heading up to 0.8 bar then dropping right off... The turbo is an oily mess, but I also reckon the boost solenoid is knackered, so I have bought one of the 'GM' ones from www.rockauto.com - part nr. 214-474.

Because it's such a pain to arrange shipping of exchange parts etc right now, we're going to have a go at rebuilding the turbo. I actually have two, thanks to the ebay engine coming complete with a turbo.

I am going to buy a rebuild kit:
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...T28-Turbocharger-Bearings-and-Seals.html

and a CHRA cartridge:
https://www.turborebuild.co.uk/webs...artridge-454154-Turbocharger-TB2810.html

What do y'all think?

Do I need anything else?

Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641080
13/05/2020 12:19
13/05/2020 12:19
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
I've read on here of several members tackling this. My only concern would be the proper balancing of the turbo after it's been put together, or does the cartridge come balanced? I'm sure someone with more experience will come along & give you advise.


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641085
13/05/2020 15:11
13/05/2020 15:11
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,207
ation
Slap a new cartridge in. Shouldn't need a balance or that bearing kit. Literally undo the pipe work from your old core, undo the compressor housing, then undo the exhaust housing.

You need new copper washers for the water pipes, a hex key to undo the oil drain (can't remember the size), and some high temp thread sealant for putting it into the new core.

Take lots of photos and measurements as you'll need to clock everything just right else it'll clash/rub. Nothing is keyed and can therefore be set at any orientation. And you might fight some rusty bolts on the exhaust housing.

Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641086
13/05/2020 15:44
13/05/2020 15:44

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G



11m hex key for the turbo oil drain pipe, an usual size not usually found in sets so may need to be sourced separately.

Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641087
13/05/2020 17:06
13/05/2020 17:06

S
sjbrophy
Unregistered
sjbrophy
Unregistered
S



Helpful, thank you.

Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641441
30/05/2020 17:19
30/05/2020 17:19

S
sjbrophy
Unregistered
sjbrophy
Unregistered
S



New turbo cartridge fitted. I have the “GM” boost solenoid replacement ready to go in.

On the original boost solenoid. with the new cartridge the boost gauge indicates only 0.5 bar of boost. The car feels faster so I am wondering if the boost gauge - a cheap eBay job - is malfunctioning... but when I do what countrycruisin suggested and bypass the boost solenoid, I get no boost whatsoever. Like, zero.

The wastegate is definitely closed.

Going to try running it with the new boost solenoid but anyone have any thoughts about why I’m getting so little boost, and apparently none with the solenoid bypassed?

Re: What is needed to rebuild a turbo? [Re: ] #1641445
31/05/2020 13:48
31/05/2020 13:48
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
My job on the forum
adam16vt  Offline
My job on the forum

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,224
norwich, norfolk
0.5 or around that is waste gate pressure

Have you got the hoses the right way around on the solenoid?


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 14 (0.010s) Memory: 0.6163 MB (Peak: 0.6830 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 20:50:11 UTC