Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thanks Joe for saving my Coupe! (FCSS Belt Guard) #1643310
09/08/2020 18:46
09/08/2020 18:46
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,132
Behind Enemy Lines
Master_Mariner Offline OP
Club member 583
Master_Mariner  Offline OP
Club member 583
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,132
Behind Enemy Lines
Almost as an after thought - Joe said at the end of my last major service- "I'll put on my Belt Guard Pulley for you - highly recommended"

I said something like - "sure Joe-Happy to go with the flow".

I am very glad I did.

My friend with the Cayman S has wanted to re-try my Coupe since our last meeting of a month or so ago. (Can't quite get how mine is in front of their car until 60ish). And we had a great afternoon - with some spirited driving until the last time we go side by side on the dual carriageway and I really did push my car full on. And I pushed on through to 6.5K revs in one of the gears. But the Cayman just eases out after 60 mph each time.

There was no Bang. No nasty explosion - but by the end of the straight I could hear what I thought was gravel under the wheels and bodywork.

I had a suspicion something was not right. We were pulling in to a local pub - and its a hard right turn. Engine felt fine. Car accelerating. But there was a smell.

Engine off - and quick check under the hood...smelly but no flames.

Ten minutes later- and time to head back to base- car fired up and drove- but battery light could be seen on and no power steering.

I realised that the auxiliary belts had gone...a quick check at base confirmed- the belts (new) had given up the ghost!

Cue my feeling of extreme guilt- at a very rare instance of pushing on - the car ends up broken....

I know I would have been in a world of pain without FCSS's Belt Guard. Rather then just having to make the short hop sans power steering to my local garage to put in some new belts and tensioners.


So THANK YOU Joe!!!!


My car should live again....and I'll limit the revs to 6K. But if I had not had the belt guard in...I really hate to think of what would have happened.

This is NOT an advert. This is NOT paid content. I do NOT thrash my car.

But things can....and DO happen when you pushing on in a 20 year old car. And Joes design has saved my coupe from what would likely have been catastrophic damage...had the aux belts wrapped up the cambelt.

My Porsche friend, was none the wiser that my little Italian stallion had given everything and more to keep her honest- and loves the way she looks.


Shhh lets keep this to ourselves.

But - Thank goodness for Saint Joe!!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4wfVwK39o4


a chaste MM!!!!!!!!



Re: Thanks Joe for saving my Coupe! (FCSS Belt Guard) [Re: Master_Mariner] #1643333
10/08/2020 11:11
10/08/2020 11:11
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,621
Leicester UK
Ballypete Offline
My life on the forum
Ballypete  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,621
Leicester UK
Glad to hear the pulley guard did its job MM and nothing more serious occurred. I got one fitted recently to Doris and its also good to keep the Coupe paranoia in check!


Doris the 1998 Portofino Blue 20V and Zoe the 1999 Alfa Romeo 916 Spider
Bog standard needn't be boring...
Re: Thanks Joe for saving my Coupe! (FCSS Belt Guard) [Re: Master_Mariner] #1643335
10/08/2020 11:38
10/08/2020 11:38
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 18,920
Auld Reekie
Excellent news MM, I am also having one fitted thumb


BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Thanks Joe for saving my Coupe! (FCSS Belt Guard) [Re: Master_Mariner] #1643348
10/08/2020 15:17
10/08/2020 15:17
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Cam belt guard 1- Bent valves 0 thumb


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.025s Queries: 14 (0.015s) Memory: 0.6131 MB (Peak: 0.6596 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:13:56 UTC