Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Edinburgh), 1,160 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Forum knowledge #1644545
23/09/2020 12:59
23/09/2020 12:59
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Help please on my daily runner Corsa. Past MOT but was advised that the front coil spring has become unseated properly on the shock absorber cup. At bottom. Now, had a look and have tried to rectify but it looks like the shock has to be removed, is this the case? Is there a simpler way?


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Forum knowledge [Re: jimboy] #1644546
23/09/2020 14:16
23/09/2020 14:16

G
GrahamL
Unregistered
GrahamL
Unregistered
G



You can maybe use spring compressors on it while still in place, then rotate as required and remove the compressors to re-seat it correctly. If you compress it enough to get the tension off it then it should rotate freely.

Re: Forum knowledge [Re: jimboy] #1644547
23/09/2020 14:18
23/09/2020 14:18
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
I would imagine that it's a MacPherson strut, the same as on the Fiat Coupe, so remove the strut, spring and top mount as one, and disassemble on the bench using spring compressors, to enable removal and replacement of the spring. Normally considered best to replace both sides at the same time. Sounds easy, but can be made infinitely hard depending on how easy it is to remove the bottom of the strut from the steering knuckle/hub.


1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
2008 Ferrari F430 & 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
Re: Forum knowledge [Re: jimboy] #1644548
23/09/2020 14:20
23/09/2020 14:20
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
Oops, just re-read the OP, I thought the spring was broken but it's not. Hopefully Graham's approach will work.


1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
2008 Ferrari F430 & 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
Re: Forum knowledge [Re: ] #1644553
23/09/2020 14:51
23/09/2020 14:51
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Originally Posted by GrahamL
You can maybe use spring compressors on it while still in place, then rotate as required and remove the compressors to re-seat it correctly. If you compress it enough to get the tension off it then it should rotate freely.


Bloody hell Graham that is a plan. Thank you, never thought of that chinny I was hell bent on thinking what a fanny about on getting the shock absorber off the car, I did indeed miss the obvious. Thanks again.

I love this forum... laugh


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Forum knowledge [Re: jimboy] #1644701
28/09/2020 15:31
28/09/2020 15:31
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
jimboy Offline OP
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline OP
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,114
highlands
Finally got round to reseat the spring. Well, for starters I had to send off for compressors. On paper this is an easy straightforward job, well not exactly. Not much room in the front suspension wheel arch, not for attaching spring compressors anyway. I had to shorten them, hacksawed off seven inches in the end. They were only a tenner and this probably would be the only time I’d use them.

I’m a stickler for safety first, but it was not easy attaching the compressors properly. In the end I broke every safety rule regarding using these things. Tightening was little at a time, and when I finally got to the slack stage I was crapping myself in case things went bang. Eventually the spring went into place. Slackening off was an even slower event. All this at the side of the road, waiting for a knee operation and dodgy legs... cry


I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6193 MB (Peak: 0.6743 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 21:26:56 UTC