Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TonyB), 1,000 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alfa Stelvio #1644607
25/09/2020 12:55
25/09/2020 12:55
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
Brilly1uk Offline OP
Club member 1034
Brilly1uk  Offline OP
Club member 1034
Competition Level

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
Do we have anyone on the forum with ownership experience of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio AWD?
I am looking to replace my trusty BMW X1 potentially with one, now its 7 years old and has 66k.

Yet to test a Stelvio though - mostly because there isn't anywhere that local to try one! crazy
Similar concerns about getting it serviced. Nearest dealership would be Swindon.

Toying though between a diesel 2.2Td or the 280hp petrol, going for a Speciale or Milano edition.
The motoring reviews for both engine are a very mixed bag, praising the sporty drive but putting a downer on the car' interior quality and infotainment.

Thus far, I have tried the new shape X3, Volvo XC60 as well as Merc GLC rivals - all very nice in their different ways, but I keep thinking the Alfa might be more "enjoyable", in the sense it has "character" and is a little less common?

Sadly a Quadrifoglio is not realistically on the shortlist!
I would suggest the interior quality would not be any less than a Land Rover Discovery Sport or Jaguar F-Pace?

Any insights gratefully received.
Keep safe.


Fiat Coupe 20VT
Alfa Romeo Spider
BMW X3
Re: Alfa Stelvio [Re: Brilly1uk] #1644613
25/09/2020 16:43
25/09/2020 16:43
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 76
South Wales
DavidRobot Offline
Reaping the fruits
DavidRobot  Offline
Reaping the fruits

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 76
South Wales
Not ownership experience but I was in a similar position to you in 2018. I was looking to replace my Alfa 159 sw and with a dog and child the Giulia wasn’t quite big enough. I wanted to stay with the Alfa brand so the stelvio became the obvious choice even though I’m not a fan of SUVs. My wife was also very keen on it.

Booked a test drive in Swindon, which is a 3 hour drive for us from West Wales and was assured that we’d be able to take it out on our own for an extended drive. Anyway arrived at the allotted time to be told by the salesman that they had no computer systems as it was the weekend that they switched over to Johnsons, therefore he couldn’t insure us solo and would have to come with us. This wasn’t an issue for me but it meant that my wife wouldn’t drive it.

I drove a 2.4 diesel, but would have ordered the 280 petrol. I was surprised at how well it drove for something so tall. It was pretty nippy and bizarrely felt a bit like our MX5 in that you could feel it was predominantly rwd. Got back to do a deal to be told that we couldn’t order there and then due to lack of IT so would take some details and contact us.

On the way home my wife expressed that she didn’t feel that the salesman had paid her any attention and felt he was rude to her therefore didn’t want to buy one. I ended up buying a Golf R estate instead, whilst not a like for like comparison it worked out £11k cheaper than the Stelvio even though I was getting Fiat friends and family discount!

Apologies for the waffle, have a pic of the one we tested

Attached Files
Re: Alfa Stelvio [Re: Brilly1uk] #1644665
27/09/2020 20:37
27/09/2020 20:37
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
Brilly1uk Offline OP
Club member 1034
Brilly1uk  Offline OP
Club member 1034
Competition Level

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,167
Glos
Interesting read Dave - thanks for sharing.
The car you pictured is very similar to one I had lined up, but it was sold very quickly before I could get to try it. It too was a 280hp AWD petrol and was kitted out with quite a few extras and only had 9k miles.
Pity about your test drive experience - main dealer car salesmen (its usually men) generally seem lacking in some basic human inter-action skills and I have always struggled with them as a breed.

I learnt TH White have given up all interests in car dealerships and gone back to just agricultural sales (which is the core of their business). They used to be old style Land Rover dealers, but apparently JLR insisted they had to spend a huge amount of money to retain main agent status and had to have a high end swanky show room in keeping with Range Rover, rather their traditional old defender type customers.

It also looks like you were unfortunate to have had a test drive perhaps when TH White were in the middle of pulling out of car sales.

My situation has moved on over the weekend and sadly I have given up on the idea of a nearly new Alfa. frown
Unfortunately, their UK dealer network just has too many shortcomings.
A real pity, because personally I am sure I would have loved owning a Stelvio.
Coincidently, my better half was also less keen!

A Golf R I am sure is a cracking car, if not quite as stylish as your 159 estate. cool


Fiat Coupe 20VT
Alfa Romeo Spider
BMW X3

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.010s) Memory: 0.6021 MB (Peak: 0.6623 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:38:08 UTC