» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Pawcio), 163 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,432
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,521
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone learnt an instrument? #1645090
12/10/2020 13:14
12/10/2020 13:14
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline OP
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Continuing my foray on potentially thin ice, I'm interested if anyone has ever learnt a musical instrument and what their experiences (enjoyment, coercion, teaching quality, group performing) were before lives were consumed by Coupé-worship. Or indeed if anyone or their family members still plays...

Years ago a family friend was, like my father, an examiner for the Associated Board grade exams, something I have been approached about on a few occasions but turned down - too much writing!

One of his inevitable stories concerned a young lad at a centre in Yorkshire grudgingly going through the motions of his grade 2 piano exam. Upon completion he went up to Frank's table and stood there..

Lad: "Excuse me sir.."
Frank: "Yes, can I help you?"
Lad: "Well, sir", (still in Yorkshire accent), "please could you tell us if I've passed?"
Frank: "I'm very sorry but I'm not able to do that because the papers have to be sent away first"
Lad: "But couldn't you please tell me now sir?"
Frank "I really can't but don't worry, the results should be back in just over a week..."
Lad: frown
Frank: Is there any particular reason why you need to know so quickly?"
Lad: Yes sir, my dad's outside and 'e says if I've passed I can give it oop"

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645091
12/10/2020 13:29
12/10/2020 13:29
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
I play fiddle Simon, well I used to. Started in primary school in the early 60s Played in youth orchestra in Academy days. Used to play in the pubs for the craic, probably that was the most enjoyable. Now I barely touch the instrument, just the way it was, long hours in the oil industry, family life, and now I’m just lazy.

My son-in-law plays guitar and writes music and songs. Played at Beladrum, before the COVID he played at various venues across the Inverness area. All self taught to. He practises in front of my son who is his number one fan cool

I'm an old git & happy with it,most of the time
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645096
12/10/2020 14:00
12/10/2020 14:00
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped Offline
Club member 1924
Gripped  Offline
Club member 1924
Forum is my job

S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Brings back memories. I did grade 2 piano. Terrifying at the time, playing in a big hall with the examiner.

Also tried cello and flute which I wasn't much good at. Finally learned a bit of guitar and stuck with it, but haven't taught myself anything new for years. So I'm not very good at that either. I have like music though, just wish I had the motivation to keeping practicing. party

Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645121
13/10/2020 01:34
13/10/2020 01:34
Tasmania
G
Grigio Offline
Making a profit
Grigio  Offline
Making a profit
G

Tasmania
My father in law was a musician, played clarinet and sax in quite a few big swing bands in the '60s and principal flute in different orchestras around the world over the years. My wife started on the piccolo when she was 8, moved to the flute when her hands were big enough to reach the keys. She did a music degree, played in a lot of orchestras and taught flute for 40 years. My sons each learnt an instrument, the eldest on the oboe and a bit of guitar, middle one did piano and clarinet, youngest flute. None of them continued after leaving school, my wife hasn't touched her flute for about 5 years. About 20 years ago I came home from work, my wife had just finished with a student. Her flute was on the music stand, as was a beginner book, opened with lines and dots that represented baa, baa black sheep or something. I asked her how do you make a sound out of the flute, she showed me, I then asked what the lines and dots mean, she pointed out the keys corresponding to the notes on the page. After 5 minutes I played a very poor rendition of baa, baa black sheep. My wife got all excited, jumped up and down saying it takes some of her students 3 months to learn that, she said she could teach me to play the flute. I handed it back to her and said I'd have to be interested, which I'm not. If I could master it in a few hours I might be interested in learning music, but years of practice and still sounding like crap just isn't my thing.

2000 grigio moon 20VT Plus.
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645122
13/10/2020 05:42
13/10/2020 05:42
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
I mess about with a guitar or two. Was the only one of my siblings not to have music lessons and the only one to play an instrument. Decided to play when I was 16 and bought a Les Paul copy electric guitar and a Blues book (complete with square plastic record with tuning note).

Went on to play bass in a few bands - the main one in and around Cambridge and had a song played on Radio Cambridgeshire (the dizzy heights) and a few other minor successes. At university I played in a few bands for laughs and beer: “Buster Hymen and the Penetrators” and “The Boobs and the Dudes” - the latter doing student hall gigs player covers: notably massacring “Roxanne” (difficult to play at the best of times - Stuart Copeland interview explained the drum rhythm) - but had a lot of fun.

Still play now and still learning - incredibly relaxing.

My youngest son started playing a year or two back - also “self-taught” but using all of the electronic resources like software guitar tutors and YouTube - so much easier than in my day. I think he’s already better than me but I’d consider myself a rhythm guitarist whereas my son is definitely a lead guitarist.

Somewhere I still have “The Beatles Complete” songbook from when I started. I don’t even particularly like the Beatles crazy laugh

Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645142
13/10/2020 13:13
13/10/2020 13:13
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline OP
Edinburgh  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Good points about the labour-intensivity, also the relaxation derived (unless you're given a concert 5 minutes ago shocked laugh )

One-to-one tuition is taking a real hammering at the moment and income has to be generated by online sessions where decent sound transmission can be quite depressing. Not quite sure how to describe it - perhaps like asking someone to draw/sending someone a drawing in colour and only coming up with B&W results.

Schools too are cutting costs where possible and music departments are at the front of the queue, driving would-be instrumental tuition into the hands of the private sector which some people cannot afford and which maintains a sense of an "elitist" hobby.

Singing, brass and woodwind instruments are also not "flavour-of-the-month" as they involve heavy breathing, not the sort that Stan would refer to though laugh

It always srikes me as a paradox that in spite of music being perpetually around us as film backing, chart-busters, goal highlights accompaniment, tv/radio intros, ICE....it's not really considered that important in our education crazy

Keep up the plucking, plonking and scraping!

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Edinburgh] #1645143
13/10/2020 13:55
13/10/2020 13:55
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
Aye Simon schools ain’t what they were regarding learning an instrument. Back in the day come what may everyone had to take up the recorder, I landed up with my older sisters one, others were the same with older members of their family, if still in tact. If someone couldn’t afford a recorder, the school stepped in with help. More complicated instruments were encouraged, most took something up. No guitars allowed though rolleyes Always liked the fiddle, other kids were piano of course, trumpet and trombone were popular, but you really could choose practically any instrument. It really was encouraged. smile

Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: jimboy] #1645149
13/10/2020 15:49
13/10/2020 15:49
Free State of Jones
clanger Offline
Making a profit
clanger  Offline
Making a profit

Free State of Jones
Originally Posted by jimboy
Aye Simon schools ain’t what they were regarding learning an instrument. Back in the day come what may everyone had to take up the recorder, I landed up with my older sisters one, others were the same with older members of their family, if still in tact. If someone couldn’t afford a recorder, the school stepped in with help. More complicated instruments were encouraged, most took something up. No guitars allowed though rolleyes Always liked the fiddle, other kids were piano of course, trumpet and trombone were popular, but you really could choose practically any instrument. It really was encouraged. smile

I remember that, mine was handed down to my sister - I went on to the Tuba crazy I remember very clearly bringing it home balanced on the crossbar of my racing bike, my mothers face was a picture.

E85
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: clanger] #1645152
13/10/2020 16:11
13/10/2020 16:11
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline OP
Edinburgh  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted by clanger

I remember that, mine was handed down to my sister - I went on to the Tuba crazy I remember very clearly bringing it home balanced on the crossbar of my racing bike, my mothers face was a picture.

I can picture that now....

"Get out of my way!"

P A A A R P !!

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: jimboy] #1645154
13/10/2020 17:38
13/10/2020 17:38
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M

Cambridge & Cotswolds
Back in the day come what may everyone had to take up the recorder,

What‘s the recorder got to do with a thread about musical instruments? If “instrument” in the title refers to instruments of torture, the recorder is spot-on. My neighbour opposite and a group of adult friends still play recorder. I should report them...

Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: Grigio] #1645162
13/10/2020 18:41
13/10/2020 18:41
Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
DaveG  Offline
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé

Lightwater, Surrey
Originally Posted by Grigio
About 20 years ago I came home from work, my wife had just finished with a student.

But you're still together, that's nice smile

Originally Posted by Grigio
My wife got all excited, jumped up and down saying it takes some of her students 3 months to learn that, she said she could teach me to play the flute. I handed it back to her and said I'd have to be interested, which I'm not.

I would hope that at my advanced age I might be able to learn to "read music" much quicker than as a kid, but to me the lines and dots and symbols are still alien, I keep wondering if there isn't a better way to "write music" after all these years?

My older sister played the guitar and cello so I figured I could do that too, alas I couldn't, or couldn't be bothered to make the effort. Both my sons learnt the piano and got to grade 1 or 2, my wife got a bit further when younger, and we have a proper sit down (electric) piano and I sometimes think I should make the effort to play, teach-myself-DIY-style...

As for recorders, kids these days get to learn an Ocarina, looking a little like something they made themselves in pottery class crazy

1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus
1985½ & 2016 2017 Fiat 124 Spider + XF Sportbrake
Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: MeanRedSpider] #1645163
13/10/2020 18:50
13/10/2020 18:50
highlands
jimboy Offline
Club Member 857
jimboy  Offline
Club Member 857
Forum is my life

highlands
Originally Posted by MeanRedSpider
Back in the day come what may everyone had to take up the recorder,

What‘s the recorder got to do with a thread about musical instruments? If “instrument” in the title refers to instruments of torture, the recorder is spot-on. My neighbour opposite and a group of adult friends still play recorder. I should report them...

My title of Mr grumpy may pass to you MRS. laugh

Re: Anyone learnt an instrument? [Re: jimboy] #1645164
13/10/2020 18:51
13/10/2020 18:51
Cambridge & Cotswolds
M
MeanRedSpider Offline
Je suis un Coupé
MeanRedSpider  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
M