Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TonyB), 1,000 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wiring Loom Rubber Boots #1653594
22/10/2021 17:25
22/10/2021 17:25
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Che Offline OP
Discoverer
Che  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Hi Folks,

Whilst spending an inordinate amount of time scrolling through the eper to try and track down the numbers, does anyone know if there is an easy way to obtain replacements for all the rubber boots for the engine bay wiring loom? mine are mostly perished and I want to replace them all with OEM standard items if still possible.

Last edited by Che; 22/10/2021 18:21.
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1653609
23/10/2021 07:31
23/10/2021 07:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
The majority of the boots are fitted to Tyco/AMP/TEConnectivity Superseal connectors (https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-CAT-AM71-CH8172.html), and Tyco themselves only list two and three-pin connector boots. They're available from Digikey https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/superseal-series/27249 and probably RS and Farnell too. Try Autoclick, below, also.

Replacing the boots will require that you remove the pins from the holders (there's a special tool) to slide the connector off so that you can get the boot on. It won't go over the connector. Or you could perhaps slit the connector and glue it shut? I haven't tried that...

Most of the other connectors, with the spring clip, are TE Junior Timer connectors: https://www.auto-click.co.uk/3-way/te-connectivity-3-way-automotive-connectors/2137216-1 and as far as I know they don't come with shrouds.

Neil


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1653613
23/10/2021 09:06
23/10/2021 09:06
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Che Offline OP
Discoverer
Che  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Thank you Neil, that is a huge help. I've been looking at the tools to take the connector off the end of the loom, like most things it looks straight forward enough with patience and the right tool for the job, so that's the plan. All the connectors are in good condition, its just the rubber boots/shrouds that have become brittle and need replacing, something to while away the winter evenings..... Thanks again for the suppliers.

Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1653628
23/10/2021 21:03
23/10/2021 21:03
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
With the hindsight of forty plus years of working with electronics and car electrics, I would *strongly* recommend not dismantling the connectors if it is at all possible. I don't know what the boots are made of, but I'd be inclined to get some to test various glues - say, bicycle tube repair glue? - and try and find something that will stick them back together, so they can be applied without disturbing the connector or the pins within them.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: barnacle] #1653637
24/10/2021 19:31
24/10/2021 19:31
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 127
Essex
1
1st_things_1st Offline
Club member 1460
1st_things_1st  Offline
Club member 1460
On a journey
1

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 127
Essex
Looking at this myself, in case you need the tape they used I believe it's made by Tesa - https://www.speedsport.co.uk/tesata...ape-20?Tesa-wiring-harness-loom-tape-20.

When I replaced the gear change linkage boots, as they had perished, I found a similar style bellows boot. As I could not get them over the ball joint at the end (I did try smash), I used a craft knife to cut along the seam. I then used super glue on the edges, left it for a bit to set, fitted it carefully and then held the seam together. Difficult to tell where the cut is, if you cut carefully and align the seams when gluing back together. It's still holding today. With better access you could probably glue together in situ.

Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1653638
24/10/2021 21:25
24/10/2021 21:25
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
The Netherlands
J
jaaps2 Offline
Club Member 1560
jaaps2  Offline
Club Member 1560
Enjoying the ride
J

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
The Netherlands
The Tesa 51608 is for the passenger compartment.

https://www.tesa.com/en-gb/industry/tesa-51608.html

They have other more heat resistant types.
Alternative eg:

https://www.conrad.nl/p/hellermannt...ltape-l-x-b-25-m-x-19-mm-1-stuks-1993509


I use self amalgating tape, though new boots look nicer and it is not suited for hot parts. I have changed some of the boots with no issues so far but no guarantee. I practiced on plugs from a scrapped Fiat.


20VT, build in 1997, first used in 1998
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1653639
25/10/2021 02:33
25/10/2021 02:33
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
I've replaced most of my boots before and de-pinning the connectors will require patience. Some pins on the connectors can be very stubborn to come off to the point of giving up. My advice is, if a pin doesn't want to come off, just try again another day and you will be wondering why you struggled before laugh

Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1655808
15/02/2022 16:59
15/02/2022 16:59
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Che Offline OP
Discoverer
Che  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Thank you all for the feedback here, apologies, other things have come up. I've ordered the boots and tape and am handing it over to the auto electrician who feels confidant he can tackle it! smile

Last edited by Che; 15/02/2022 17:11.
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1655850
17/02/2022 14:56
17/02/2022 14:56
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Che Offline OP
Discoverer
Che  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
If anyone else is looking for the boots, I found all the other sizes available via an auction website, UK Supplier with the multiple different position options (The links provided previously only had the 4 position).

Thanks again,

Che

Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1655852
17/02/2022 20:03
17/02/2022 20:03
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
The Netherlands
J
jaaps2 Offline
Club Member 1560
jaaps2  Offline
Club Member 1560
Enjoying the ride
J

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 602
The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Che
If anyone else is looking for the boots, I found all the other sizes available via an auction website, UK Supplier with the multiple different position options (The links provided previously only had the 4 position).

Thanks again,

Che

Do you have the links? So others can try the same.


20VT, build in 1997, first used in 1998
Re: Wiring Loom Rubber Boots [Re: Che] #1655858
18/02/2022 07:39
18/02/2022 07:39
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
Che Offline OP
Discoverer
Che  Offline OP
Discoverer

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 41
Towcester
I ordered a bag full of the 4PSN from the link Barnacle shared, the 2PSN I’ve ordered from Here


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6475 MB (Peak: 0.7524 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:32:26 UTC