» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 179 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,580
Posts1,340,924
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,547
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,753
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My not so good experience of Facebook #1655567
03/02/2022 16:37
03/02/2022 16:37
Bulgaria
french_coupe Offline OP
Club member 773
french_coupe  Offline OP
Club member 773
Enjoying the ride

Bulgaria
I have had an interesting few months trying to get a LHD brake servo for a 20VT delivered after paying for it back in October. After 3 and a half months and involving the German police I finally have the part.

I didn’t use Facebook until last year. I actually used it for getting info for various things in Bulgaria as I was making the move, but knew very little about the place.
After we were settled here I started to have a look at pages for the Coupe and saw a page for parts for sale. As the UK is no longer in the EU its now not so easy and much more expensive to get parts shipped into the EU.

Some of you may remember that the drive to Bulgaria in 2020 involved the Coupe having a problem with the servo whilst in Croatia. It took a good friend 3 months to get a 2nd hand servo and then have it fitted. Eventually I ended up shipping the car from Croatia to Bulgaria. Since then I have been keeping an eye out for a spare servo as they are so rare.

Back in October I saw an advert on Facebook for a LHD 20VT being broken in Germany. I contacted the guy and we agreed a price for the servo so I sent the money.
I didn’t follow up for a while as I had assumed that he would just send the part. After 3 weeks I asked him for the tracking number. He replied that he had not yet sent the part would would do the next day.
Another 2 weeks went by with no info from him. Again, I asked for a tracking number. He kept putting me off saying he would send the tracking info. After a couple of days I went back to him and asked that he return the money. That got a response saying that he would send the tracking number that afternoon.
The next day, nothing. I then went onto Facebook and put a post about him ripping me off and also reported him to Facebook.
Within 30 mins he sent me the tracking details, BUT the date and time was from right then. He sent the parcel AFTER I reported him.
I removed the post and waited for the parcel.
6 days later the parcel arrived. It was a box full of garbage and 2 x rear quarter windows. This was now the middle of December and I had already deleted my Facebook account as I found out from the Facebook page admin that ripoffs were common. I have no idea why the admin doesn’t do more to protect people when he knows that there are many issues.

I then decided that if I didn’t receive the correct part within the next month I would report him to the police.
As expected the part never arrived so I filled in the 8 page online crime form using Google Translate. Not easy but worth the effort.
The police contacted me a few days later and said that they would follow up. (They replied in perfect English too.)
When they came back they said he claimed to have made an error sending two parcels on the same day to the wrong addresses and wanted to resolve the issue amicably. I didn’t make a big deal of it, but he had previously claimed that the windows were for his own car and wanted me to send them back BEFORE he would send the servo to me.
I contacted him by email, as per the police advice and he said he would send the part. He asked for my address again. This was the 3rd time I had given him the address.
I waited 2 weeks and still nothing so I contacted the police again and didn’t bother with him. This time he finally sent the part which I received today.

I have no idea why he didn’t just send the part originally or just keep in touch with me if there was an issue. He never once contacted me without me contacting him first. Seems odd that he had the part but seemed reluctant to send it.
It has caused him problems with the police for no good reason.

I definitely will not use social media for buying goods again unless I already know the seller. I could have been protected if I had bought the part using Paypal. Unfortunately Paypal doesn’t work for me anymore as I have moved countries 3 times in 2 years. Seemingly they don’t like that very much.
In all the years of owning the Coupe this is the first problem I have had when buying parts. I have bought parts from several countries over the years with no issues.
I guess from now on I will buy from reputable dedicated sites / companies or known suppliers. Lesson learnt.

In the end it worked out fine, but took some effort and a lot of time. I have 2 cars both running well and the LHD car has just passed the Bulgaria technical inspection for another year so all good.

lost in space
Re: My not so good experience of Facebook [Re: french_coupe] #1655569
03/02/2022 18:20
03/02/2022 18:20
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
This was a lot of hassle Frazer and I'm relieved it finally worked out in spite of the aggro.

Your experience might help some on here to understand why our Selling Rules are quite stringent, due precisely to this sort of thing and worse (non-arrival of part for example) occurring.

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: My not so good experience of Facebook [Re: french_coupe] #1655570
03/02/2022 19:45
03/02/2022 19:45
Bulgaria
french_coupe Offline OP
Club member 773
french_coupe  Offline OP
Club member 773
Enjoying the ride

Bulgaria
I do hope it helps other people think before buying and where possible use sites like this one.
You can never protect yourself 100% but buying from known sites or known people at least minimizes the risk.

lost in space
Re: My not so good experience of Facebook [Re: french_coupe] #1655604
05/02/2022 12:29
05/02/2022 12:29
South Cambs
B
Barmybob Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Barmybob  Offline
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
B

South Cambs
Glad you got this sorted, sadly it doesn't always end well.

Distance selling & buying can be very problematic no matter which platform is used. Facebook sales, ebay sales and even sales on this very forum have all had problems with dishonourable people taking advantage of Coupé owners. Mostly these horrible folks have not been people from within this community but sadly one or two of them were shocked grr

The selling rules and process applied on this site do often seem over complicated but they are here because members of the forum have suffered loss at the hands of fellow forum members. The rules are there to try and ensure this doesn't happen again.

Gone Audi mad!