|
3 registered members (jarofjam, Notfastwes, YFG),
1,265
guests, and 5
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Re: What happened to bike innovation?
[Re: respace]
#1657740
21/05/2022 00:20
21/05/2022 00:20
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,612 S. Wales. Way beyond my means
Gripped
Club member 1924
|
Club member 1924
Forum is my job
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,612
S. Wales. Way beyond my means
|
Kwak make the supercharged H2, but you're right, no turbos. I've often thought that they could make smaller capacity bikes with turbos rather than the litre bikes. I guess it's a combination of cost and issues with lag and boost, but you'd think with modern tech they could sort it. With emissions regs tightening all the time they just keep increasing engine capacity to replace the power lost by the mapping for emissions. A turbo could help in this situation, but it's telling that Kwak chose the more predictable power delivery of a supercharger. Also thought about diesel bikes too. Just imagine the fuel economy..... 100mpg+? I suspect that for the most part in the west, bikes are less essential transport and more weekend fun.. So a diesel would have a limited market. And why go to the expense of a turbo, when many bikers don't care about fuel economy so carry on making bigger and bigger engines. Just my thoughts... Just recently joined the cliché and bought a BMW r1200gs.
Last edited by Gripped; 21/05/2022 00:24.
|
|
|
Re: What happened to bike innovation?
[Re: Nigel]
#1658251
13/06/2022 18:23
13/06/2022 18:23
|
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,078 Dorchester
respace
OP
Enjoying the ride
|
OP
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,078
Dorchester
|
I have a feeling that it's not possible to turbocharge a two-stroke. Something to do with the exhaust needing to be perfectly tuned to create the scavenging effect I understand it's done on snow mobiles but is not without it's problems.
|
|
|
Re: What happened to bike innovation?
[Re: respace]
#1658262
13/06/2022 23:14
13/06/2022 23:14
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311 Aldershot
PeteP
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
|
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 22,311
Aldershot
|
There used to be turbocharged 2 stroke diesel trucks a while ago. Found a clip on YouTubeI think Commer did them in the UK
16VT and X1/9 1500 + e208 Peugeot
We must all do our part for the planet. I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using. I even unplugged my own.
|
|
|
|