» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 249 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,624
Posts1,341,348
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,834
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tuning & mixed opinions.. #394412
15/07/2007 02:25
15/07/2007 02:25

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi all. Ive noticed theres 2 schools of thought whenever I mention tuning (of any sort).....' you'll blow up your car you prat!' and the opposite one of ' why not try this...'. Why are so many of us so polarised in our opinions? The way I see it is like this....
BMW recently released the 335 Coupe & it looks fab. But now the M3 is about to come out. Its even 'fabber'! Why not see the Fiat Coupe as the 335 but Fiat never released an M3 equivalent. Hence, when we (well me anyway) talk of tuning its about tastefully, purposefully & sympathetically improving on a great car in a way in which Fiat may have done had they put their mind to it.
So, for me, its not about stupid spoilers, go faster pipes & stripes etc. I want to retain Chris Bangles' inspirations and make my Coupe a little faster, handle a little tighter, sound a touch sportier & look a smidgen more meaningful.
Lecture over.....its off my chest now!! Please no more telling me Im a plonker for just considering improving my car!
Im sure I'll geta few replies....................

Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: ] #394432
15/07/2007 03:20
15/07/2007 03:20
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
You're right - there are two distinct sides to the argument, but both sides accept and understand the other's viewpoints ( as long as it doesn't involve a great big boot spoiler or viper stripes)

There's a lot to be said for keeping it standard. Reliability, longevity and cost being the obvious ones. Its a pretty fast car as standard and more than capable of holding its own against MUCH more modern and MUCH more expensive machinery

However, since someone stuck an engine inside a carriage instead of a horse at the front, people have been trying to go faster.

Personally, I really enjoy my (very) modded car. Other than a Fiat bodykit and some 17" wheels, it looks very standard. Its pretty firm to drive, but not madly so (I drive well over 30,000 miles a year, so it has to be fairly comfortable)

However, (assuming the basic mechanics of the car are in good shape) you can make some modifications fairly cheaply that will make a fair bit of difference, such as...

Good tyres
uprated shock absorbers
strut brace
good brakes
G-Tec chip
Panel air filter
Exhaust

There's probably about a grand's worth of work there, but you'll have a 250bhp car that goes, stops and corners pretty well.

Cosmetically, there's very little the Coupe needs - a little lowering sometimes helps the visuals, but by far the easiest is to have the lower bumpers and sills painted body colour. if you want it to look stunning, just keep it clean - it'll always turn heads when its shiny.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: Nigel] #394455
15/07/2007 03:59
15/07/2007 03:59

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nigel, seems you & I sing from same hymnsheet. But Im very much the newbie of course. Anyway, Id like to lower mine but keep the Fiat alloys....how would be best to do this & how much lowered looks visually the best in your experience? (if it looks obviously lowered then Im put off you see). Id like a gtech chip also but Im really scared of doing damage to my car. I dont do many miles in it & I dont drive it fast very often. Lastly, any simple ways to bring out the exhaust burble a little. Love the throaty sound Ive heard on some of the videos. Always wanted TVR just for the sound alone but dont need one now I love my coop!

Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: ] #394465
15/07/2007 04:12
15/07/2007 04:12
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
Chris, if you don't drive it fast very often, then I question your need for performance mods. If you're scared of damaging your car, then its best to leave the engine well alone. As long as you keep it well serviced and check the oil regularly, it will last for ages. 220bhp is plenty for most people.

I'm lowered 25mm and its about right for me - much more and you're asking for ground clearance problems. If you want to lower, you should use springs AND shocks. Lowered springs on stock shocks is asking for trouble.

Exhaust - I'd recommend SuperSprint. Its mild steel and thus has a deeper note than most stainless systems. The centre pipe is the weak point - should last a couple of years though. Having said that, short journeys are killers of mild steel axhausts, so maybe you should go for a Miltek stainless. I've also heard good things about PowerFiat's stainless systems.

There's one more problem with modding - its addictive. once you get a feel for more power, you just can't stop. I always said I'd be happy with 300bhp, but now I'm at 400, I can't help thinking that another 50bhp would come in handy

[Linked Image]
Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: Nigel] #394472
15/07/2007 04:29
15/07/2007 04:29

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Come on Nigel.....'question my NEED for performance mods.' Whats need got to do with it!!! Tell me anyone who NEEDS to go faster other than a racing driver during a race(and maybe the emergency services on call). For the rest of us, all of us, its just a matter of WANT. And there aint nowt wrong with that! I dont go fast often, but when I do Id like to go faster while being safer, handling better etc etc etc. Read the first sentence in your reply....how patronising! But I still love you matey..he he. No harm done!

Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: ] #394836
16/07/2007 01:54
16/07/2007 01:54
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
not meant to be patronising, just realistic.

I've seen so many people set out on the modding trail then regret it. I've wished many times that I'd left it standard (so has my wife!)

It was your comment about being scared of breaking the car that led me to me questioning whether you should be considering modding it

[Linked Image]
Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: Nigel] #394860
16/07/2007 02:34
16/07/2007 02:34

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just adjusting your throttle cable can make a huge difference. ;\)

Re: Tuning & mixed opinions.. [Re: ] #398427
20/07/2007 20:19
20/07/2007 20:19

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Chris - if you chip the car and get the fuelling checked then the engine should be fine. Your turbo may go, and so may the clutch etc. if they are worn. Mod away, but just be prepared for the extra stress the car is put under - more power and you'll want better brakes + suspension etc. etc.