Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (carmine), 703 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,309
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,903
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #427252
03/09/2007 20:35
03/09/2007 20:35

N
nyssa7
Unregistered
nyssa7
Unregistered
N



Just needs a guinea pig to find out!

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #427277
03/09/2007 21:14
03/09/2007 21:14

D
dink
Unregistered
dink
Unregistered
D



Having driven with both (but not in the same car :)) , i think the biggest difference in a quaffe diff over a viscous diff is much less wheelspin when cornering as with the viscous diff you always have this slippery feeling every time you apply throttle and the turbo comes in. The quaiffe can split the power much better than a visco and also allows you to throttle earlier when entering the turn wich makes it kinda easier i feel.





Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #428285
04/09/2007 23:32
04/09/2007 23:32

S
Sandy
Unregistered
Sandy
Unregistered
S



Assuming the usual bit of sharing goes on between Fiat and Alfa you could try the Q2 diff works quite well in mine and less than £250 from Alfa smile

Its one of these

This works in the V6 and JTD as they have the same gearbox, from what I recall the Coupe also used an Alfa box (perhaps only the six speed?)

As to whether it would provide much greater benefit than a viscodrive I couldn't say, perhaps just a bit more immediacy to its response.

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #428661
05/09/2007 12:26
05/09/2007 12:26

N
nyssa7
Unregistered
nyssa7
Unregistered
N



Not so much a case that the Coupe uses an Alfa box (they don't), but the Alfa 6 speed internals fit (and work!) inside the Fiat 6 speed casing

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #429508
06/09/2007 14:10
06/09/2007 14:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 91
Paisley - Scotland
SimonB Offline
Reaping the fruits
SimonB  Offline
Reaping the fruits

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 91
Paisley - Scotland
Of course Quaife do list an ATB diff for the Fiat Coupe on their website.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Fiat-Coupe-Quaife-ATB-Differential

Not cheap though rolleyes


Ex 20v (great car)
Ex 20vt (RIP)
Ex 20vt+
Now another 20vt+
Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: SimonB] #429583
06/09/2007 15:31
06/09/2007 15:31

S
sparco
Unregistered
sparco
Unregistered
S



Why did you have to do that now? Not that expensive really for what it is especially if it is a direct fit. Something for the future i feel.

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #429584
06/09/2007 15:33
06/09/2007 15:33

D
dink
Unregistered
dink
Unregistered
D



aaaagghhh mmuust resist... wink

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: SimonB] #429976
07/09/2007 00:13
07/09/2007 00:13

N
nyssa7
Unregistered
nyssa7
Unregistered
N



Originally Posted by SimonB
Of course Quaife do list an ATB diff for the Fiat Coupe on their website.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Fiat-Coupe-Quaife-ATB-Differential

Not cheap though rolleyes


So they do, and quite frankly that's cheap, paid nearly £700 for mine - see the Alfa 156 V6 fitment. But as its the same diff they list for Alfa 147 I would suspect its for 16vt Coupe?

Mind you its listed as fitment for half the Fiat range including Grande Punto and Doblo so anyone's guess

Last edited by nyssa7; 07/09/2007 00:42.
Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540104
02/06/2015 10:37
02/06/2015 10:37

G
Gasket
Unregistered
Gasket
Unregistered
G



I've been thinking of fiddling with the differentials a bit. I have a track day Bravo HGT. For the track it would benefit from shorter gearing. As far as I've figured out the shortest gearing would be in a 147 1,6 liter Alfa. Am I right that the differential fits? Could I change the whole gearbox, or does it require some parts mixing to get it done?

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540108
02/06/2015 11:13
02/06/2015 11:13

M
metalste
Unregistered
metalste
Unregistered
M



This post is nearly 8 years old lol.

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540248
03/06/2015 10:58
03/06/2015 10:58

G
Gasket
Unregistered
Gasket
Unregistered
G



Has the information changed a lot in 8 years?

Just thought I'd rather bump up an old thread close to the issue rather than start another one on the same matter.

Do you have any valuable input?

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540251
03/06/2015 11:37
03/06/2015 11:37

M
metalste
Unregistered
metalste
Unregistered
M



No I don't!

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540269
03/06/2015 13:03
03/06/2015 13:03
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Plenty of info on diffs for the Coupe - just do a search for "quaife"

As for gearing - probably easier to use lower profile tyres....

Re: Upgrading The Differential? [Re: ] #1540323
03/06/2015 19:05
03/06/2015 19:05

G
Gasket
Unregistered
Gasket
Unregistered
G



So far I've managed without a Quaife. Afterall a good suspension setup with an NA engine has been ok without a Quaife.

I only use 15" rims and the common tires are around 195/50 or 205/50. Smaller rims won't fit and thinner tires are hard to come by. I mostly buy used tires from competitive racers, so the size choices are limited by regulations.

Most of the time I'm on third, some slow corners on second, and the fourth gear only on the main straights. On second I suffer somewhat from wheelspin and the gear runs out very fast. With a lower third, I could use that, fourth and even fifth.

I'm also upgrading the engine from 2,0 to 2,4, so the extra torque will help. That is why I feel that I could certainly benefit from shorter gearing. Afterall its just a track day toy, so top speed is irrelevant.

Edit: here you see the track: Youtube

There is a cool down lap at the beginning. The fast one was 1:42.7 driven at my friends bachelor party. My record stands now at 1:38.55

Last edited by Gasket; 03/06/2015 19:16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 15 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6442 MB (Peak: 0.7767 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-09 23:49:26 UTC