Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TwelveTeaVan), 1,148 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. #456294
13/10/2007 19:30
13/10/2007 19:30
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Okay so I managed to get a set of winter alloys to protect my 17" TSW's. I also wanted to test the differences in handling etc as the tyre sizes are wrong on the TSW's (thanks to the previous owner frown )

I've just spent ages refurbing the winter wheels using the guide in the FAQ section for paint colour reference, and I did think as I sprayed it on *Hmm, bit of a dark colour, maybe it's just the light in the garage*.

Errr, nope! Fitted this morning and now I'm looking for some views. Personally I think it's way too dark to be used with the bog standard wheels, makes them look tiny, or is it just because I'm used to nice shiny silver 17" wheels?

Doesn't matter too much, just frustrated with the length of time it's taken to get a decent finish and then feel disappointed when they get put on the car, although I guess that's always a risk you take with any styling job?

Anyway, here's the proof..........

Before

After


Roll on summer so I can whip them off again laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456296
13/10/2007 19:35
13/10/2007 19:35
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
whatmoretyres Offline
Forum is my job
whatmoretyres  Offline
Forum is my job

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
Think that looks good personally.

Dare I say, I'd rather have odd colour standards than those quite chav 17s.

Sorry! laugh


Smart Fitness and GPS seller tongue
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: whatmoretyres] #456298
13/10/2007 19:37
13/10/2007 19:37

M
mitch
Unregistered
mitch
Unregistered
M



Yep looks ok but could perhaps gain from some 'weed and feed' as looks a bit brown in patches.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456301
13/10/2007 19:40
13/10/2007 19:40
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by mitch
Yep looks ok but could perhaps gain from some 'weed and feed' as looks a bit brown in patches.



pmsl laugh


I shall pass that onto the *gardener*............. Oi! Missus, Mitch said yer grass was awful!

shocked


Mitch, I'd leave the county now, while you still can laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: whatmoretyres] #456302
13/10/2007 19:41
13/10/2007 19:41
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by whatmoretyres
......than those quite chav 17s.

Sorry! laugh




How very dare you! shocked


Do you know how much they cost the numpty owner prior to me? shocked


I bought the car for a lot less than those wheels cost him laugh

Last edited by stan; 13/10/2007 19:42. Reason: acshually I can see what you mean now that I compare them side by side............ hmmmm

[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456303
13/10/2007 19:41
13/10/2007 19:41

M
mitch
Unregistered
mitch
Unregistered
M



tongue No seriously the wheels look good to me, not seen that style done dark before.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456312
13/10/2007 19:54
13/10/2007 19:54

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C



look fine to me, although i am biased having dark wheels myself!!

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456313
13/10/2007 19:58
13/10/2007 19:58
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
I've been back out and agree they do look good, they are growing on me.

I've also just compared the old wheel with a standard wheel and got quite a shock! I'll post a picture in a wee while, but it's a cautionary tale of making sure you get the right tyre/wheel combination, there is nearly an inch of a difference in circumference between the two! shocked


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456320
13/10/2007 20:13
13/10/2007 20:13
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
Just to balance the thread out. I hate them, they look awful. Roll on Global warming then we will soon have no winter and you will not have to adorn your Coupe with such tut laugh wink

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456326
13/10/2007 20:22
13/10/2007 20:22
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Hmmm just done a comparison using an online tyre size calculator and it's scary news.......

Standard wheel and tyre:

Radius = 11.5"
Dia. = 23.1"
Circ. = 72.5

17" Wheel & Tyre:

Radius = 12.3
Dia. = 24.6"
Circ. = 77.3"

Speedo would read 6.7% slow so at 60mph on the speedo, the car would be travelling at 64mph.



Difference in physical size

and again!



[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: bockers] #456328
13/10/2007 20:23
13/10/2007 20:23
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by bockers
Just to balance the thread out. I hate them, they look awful. Roll on Global warming then we will soon have no winter and you will not have to adorn your Coupe with such tut laugh wink




Just to balance it even further, it was your *Rover Stone Grey* recommendation I followed, so it's your fault! tongue


laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456353
13/10/2007 21:21
13/10/2007 21:21
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
Stan you lazy oik - you took that last picture through the window laugh


[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: came2dance] #456359
13/10/2007 21:29
13/10/2007 21:29
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
One of each I think the dark ones look quite good smile

As forthe tyres. Well you see officer it's not my fault. I've got these wheels and the tyres are too big and...... laugh



You'll just have to put some lower profiles on the 17" Stan. Or make a mental allowance for the difference.



[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: came2dance] #456365
13/10/2007 21:44
13/10/2007 21:44

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C



that's quite a size difference

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456375
13/10/2007 22:16
13/10/2007 22:16
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Yes the size difference worries me a bit. It's almost like the previous owner glanced at the forum saw what everyone else was using but forgot to allow for the standard 15" wheels on the 20v na frown

Just done a quick test run and you can feel the difference tremendously: sharper steering, sharper brakes(!), and the speedo is now closer to correct: I'm being tailgated through the 40 again instead of the other way around blush

Car is now comfortable to drive, sounds quieter inside and doesn't feel the bumps the same yet has better feedback through the wheel.

Hmm, maybe I should have posted this in the tuning section? laugh

Thanks for the responses folks, I liked the photoshop of *one of each* it was interesting! shocked


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456377
13/10/2007 22:19
13/10/2007 22:19

M
Matty
Unregistered
Matty
Unregistered
M



Stan I prefer the standard wheels to be honest, not too sure about your colour choice, but I think you should bin the TSW's.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456379
13/10/2007 22:22
13/10/2007 22:22
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
I agree, I think I might keep them as spares, they have 3 new-ish tyres and one brand spanking new one, so ideal for MOT time laugh

Last edited by stan; 13/10/2007 22:22. Reason: oh, and I think the colour will be changing to standard-ish

[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456383
13/10/2007 22:28
13/10/2007 22:28

M
Matty
Unregistered
Matty
Unregistered
M



Not that they don't suit the car, it's just the whole TSW name....




VENOM'S


laugh

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456389
13/10/2007 22:33
13/10/2007 22:33

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



The standard wheels look great on their own, off the car tongue

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456391
13/10/2007 22:35
13/10/2007 22:35
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
tongue

back at ya! tongue


laugh


So, suggestions for a slightly lighter colour than Rover Stone Grey (it is too dark for the Speed Red imho).........


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456395
13/10/2007 22:38
13/10/2007 22:38

M
Matty
Unregistered
Matty
Unregistered
M



Ah you see not necessarily, Fran has painted his wheels a similar colour on his Speed red and it looks fantastic.

But it's the far superior 20VT wheels you see. wink tongue

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456404
13/10/2007 22:42
13/10/2007 22:42
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Ah, you see I did wonder if the fact there is sooo much more wheel is the problem, it makes them look *different*

I can't afford blower wheels frown


[Linked Image]
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: stan] #456471
14/10/2007 01:14
14/10/2007 01:14

S
Shippy
Unregistered
Shippy
Unregistered
S



I think the problem is that the 16v/16vt/20v wheels are stating to look a little dated. frown

The coupe is still looking good though, you've done a great job. If they are only winter wheels then no problem, it will make you look forward to you getting the others back on even more.

Last edited by Shippy; 14/10/2007 02:06.
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456487
14/10/2007 01:33
14/10/2007 01:33

J
jaip
Unregistered
jaip
Unregistered
J



looks to me maybe they would of looked better black. strange though as i dont like black wheels. maybe its the black sills etc.

as above though still a good job done.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456546
14/10/2007 02:59
14/10/2007 02:59

K
kyle
Unregistered
kyle
Unregistered
K



Looks fine to me stan nowt wrong with that

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456586
14/10/2007 03:33
14/10/2007 03:33
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
came2dance Offline
I AM a Coop
came2dance  Offline
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,206
england
I saw this wheel on a coupé in Italy crazy Ever seen these before confused

Last edited by came2dance; 14/10/2007 03:34. Reason: sorry for thr hijack - I did post it on coop spotting Europe. But it'll never ger seen there

[Linked Image]www.chrisdoyle-photography.co.uk

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: came2dance] #456669
14/10/2007 04:47
14/10/2007 04:47
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
bockers Offline
Hon Club Member 007
bockers  Offline
Hon Club Member 007
Forum Fossil

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 21,083
Chertsey in the Thames
But they still look crap. Even crapper after a win over the froggies. Silver is the only answer laugh

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: bockers] #456700
14/10/2007 06:47
14/10/2007 06:47
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,080
Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Baz76 Offline
Forum is my job
Baz76  Offline
Forum is my job

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,080
Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Personally I think your standard wheels need to be darker still and add a set of LE centre caps like this Coop love .

Baz smile


[Linked Image]
Project LE+
Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: Baz76] #456740
14/10/2007 14:10
14/10/2007 14:10

K
kyle
Unregistered
kyle
Unregistered
K



agree with baz

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. [Re: ] #456746
14/10/2007 14:21
14/10/2007 14:21
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline OP
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Hmmm, thanks for the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. I'm mulling over what to do next.

I'm wondering if side skirts or painting the sill body-colour would lift the look a bit?


[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 15 (0.008s) Memory: 0.7375 MB (Peak: 0.9701 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 20:46:31 UTC