Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,379 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,309
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,904
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) #459522
17/10/2007 05:05
17/10/2007 05:05
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
joe90 Offline OP
On a journey
joe90  Offline OP
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
Have now had two sets of 3G 10 grooved front discs which have warped on me. Before these I had the standard drilled discs which are on the plus. These I had no such problems with.

I now need another set of front discs and would appreciate any advice on whether to go for the standard 20vt ones or is there an alternative (not 3G!) make (grooved or not). I don't need them for track days, just quick road driving. I currently have textar pads which I am more than happy with.

While my first set were being replaced Iceberg kindly let me borrow some standard ones for a couple of weeks and to me these felt fine with no squeal - should i just stick to these (although I prefer the look of grooved discs)?

Any ideas??


Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: joe90] #459561
17/10/2007 06:48
17/10/2007 06:48

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H



Why did your other ones warp? What are you doing to them ?

Ross

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #459733
17/10/2007 15:50
17/10/2007 15:50

S
Shippy
Unregistered
Shippy
Unregistered
S



Could just stick to standard. Do you leave your foot on the brake at standstill?

Tarox are very good, although a little pricey.

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!! [Re: ] #459790
17/10/2007 16:26
17/10/2007 16:26
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
DBA are also recommeded by the Nigel, cant say ive notice much diff over 3G's but i dont track the car etc so it probably doesnt get pushed as hard.

The 3G discs arent the problem loads of people here use them....you must be doing something to them

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #459792
17/10/2007 16:28
17/10/2007 16:28

W
Webbo
Unregistered
Webbo
Unregistered
W



Have you tried "un-warping them" ? Worked for me smile Chances are you might have a sticky pad or the calipers need reconditioning,I think most people dont get warping with the 3gs, I certainly have had less than with the standard discs.

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #459816
17/10/2007 16:48
17/10/2007 16:48
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,033
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline
Competition Level
S

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,033
I WANT F40
I'd have a close look at your calipers if I was you, it could be that you have sticking pistons due to the dust seals/piston seals wearing out, causing your brakes to bind in one area, and hence the warping.

Trust me, there's no way your 3Gs have been abused more than mine - I've been running a set of 10G's all round for about 35,000 miles, with Ferodo DS2500 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid, including doing a season of sprints and a handful of trackdays. At brands hatch I metled the plastic wheel centres off my front wheels, and at Bedford you could toast marshmellow's by holding them 4 inches in front of the discs. You can't get them that hot on the road, and mine are worn - but unwarped. I replaced one of my calipers as it had worn out seals etc... for a new one on one side, and the other side was perfect when I changed the front brakes over 35k miles ago.

Investigate your calipers, change them both if necessary, then get another set of 3Gs. 3G discs are brembo cast discs, which are machined to have the groves in, they are top quality discs, and as good as (or better with the groves) standard brembo stuff - because that's what they are!


Sideways a LOT
Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: S1MMA] #459850
17/10/2007 17:22
17/10/2007 17:22

G
goose
Unregistered
goose
Unregistered
G



i never had any warping on the 3g 20groove even when i had a hard track session. i welded the grooeves shut but they wernet warped! they only welded as they were 2 year old disks!

im buying some more now!

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #460044
17/10/2007 20:41
17/10/2007 20:41

D
Doctorfrag
Unregistered
Doctorfrag
Unregistered
D



Definately check your calipers, there's plent of track day nutters here using 3g discs with no problems, but often the symptoms of a sticky piston is juddering on braking which is often put down to warping.

If it continues, the caliper may only be gripped on one side, do that often enoguh and no disc will withstand that!

Joe

Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #460281
18/10/2007 01:19
18/10/2007 01:19
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
joe90 Offline OP
On a journey
joe90  Offline OP
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
Thanks for all your replies. Did seem strange that now two sets have warped. I ran them in properly and then got some advice from Nigel who suggested they weren't warped but they had some pad residue on them and gave the the link on the forum to 'clean' them by repeatedly braking etc. After I had done this they seemed to be worse so i just presumed i'd warped them further. That was the first set.

The second set started off fine but then did the same as the first - it started off that while braking from, say, 80, everything was fine until i got to about 40 and when decelerating through 40 i started to get a vibration/grinding, which disappeared at about 30 and less. This has got steadily worse with time but it doesn't seem to be the classic 'bad vibrations at high speed' associated with 'normal' warping (which i had with my first coop and feels a lot different to the problem i have at the minute).

I've had the car at Iceberg's recently and Paul didn't mention anything and it's passed the MOT last week.

I never leave my foot on the brake while stationary and as i said, i don't over push the braking so i just presumed that the two sets i got were from a faulty batch.

If the discs aren't warped then do the symptons i have indicate sticking caliper piston??

(Think I'm gonna ask the moderators to move this to 'technical problems' thread.)


Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: joe90] #460566
18/10/2007 04:11
18/10/2007 04:11

C
carphone
Unregistered
carphone
Unregistered
C



I have had my 3g discs for under 6 months and Paul at motormech has advised they are warped (got a fair bit of work done at motormech last weekend)! I get vibrations when braking from 60+mph. Paid top dollar for these so will be getting in touch with RiceRocket for an exchange. Just need to get some standard discs to put on first. Anyone got some..

Anyway Paul said he knows of quite a few sets of 3G's that have warped. I asked him to check my calipers and he could not see anything wrong.

Last edited by carphone; 18/10/2007 04:13.
Re: Front discs - what to go for (NOT 3G please!!!!) [Re: ] #460888
18/10/2007 17:28
18/10/2007 17:28
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
joe90 Offline OP
On a journey
joe90  Offline OP
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 103
Worcestershire
carphone

When I sent mine back to ricerocket he was fine about it and sent me a new set out. He did, however, say he'd tested mine on his machine and said they were 'only very slightly warped' - The MOT guy that Paul uses said he'd never seen a set as bad!

It is a pain in the @rse though with postage costs and the fact that you need a temporary replacement set. Has Paul not got a spare set you could borrow?


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.014s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6370 MB (Peak: 0.7355 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 04:59:07 UTC