Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 538 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,309
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,904
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eek...a mouse in the house! #534986
03/02/2008 22:54
03/02/2008 22:54

J
Julia
Unregistered
Julia
Unregistered
J



I've been a feeling a little under the weather recently and as a result haven't been out in my car for a few days.

Today, as is normal with my coupe when not driven for a few days, the battery was flat. So I followed my normal routine of popping the bonnet and was just about to go and grab the jump leads when I noticed something unusual under on the bonnet.

Sitting in a neat little pile on the engine was a small mound of acorn shells...and if that wasn't bad enough where was mouse shit everywhere! The little blighters had been having a nut party and on closer inspection I found 3 other areas where nuts had been stored and then gorged.

Well I can tell you I was quickly out with my Henry and vacuumed up all the offending crap and nut litter. I fired up the battery again and went out for a spin to take my mind of things, but while I was out I starting wandering...might mister and misses mousey been nibbling through anything else other than the nuts?

Do mice eat wire and hoses and stuff?

Should I be worried about mice damage?

Anyone else had this happen?

Julia

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #534991
03/02/2008 22:56
03/02/2008 22:56
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
whatmoretyres Offline
Forum is my job
whatmoretyres  Offline
Forum is my job

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
lol laugh

sorry, no help

laugh


laugh


laugh

laugh

still laughing....


Smart Fitness and GPS seller tongue
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: whatmoretyres] #534996
03/02/2008 23:01
03/02/2008 23:01

J
Julia
Unregistered
Julia
Unregistered
J



Originally Posted by whatmoretyres
lol laugh

sorry, no help

laugh

still laughing....


Well, I'm glad it made you laugh anyway smile

Julia

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535000
03/02/2008 23:05
03/02/2008 23:05
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
Have a close look at the wiring, etc, as they will chew it.

If they're anything like rats, they love electrical cabling.

Also watch they don't get into the car, as they'll eat the seats, etc frown

Yes, you should be worried frown

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: Theresa] #535012
03/02/2008 23:17
03/02/2008 23:17

O
owl10
Unregistered
owl10
Unregistered
O



another new coupe paranoia, those squeaks may not just be loose bits of trim! laugh

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535018
03/02/2008 23:23
03/02/2008 23:23
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
whatmoretyres Offline
Forum is my job
whatmoretyres  Offline
Forum is my job

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,700
burning oil in the alfa
Originally Posted by Julia
Originally Posted by whatmoretyres
lol laugh

sorry, no help

laugh

still laughing....


Well, I'm glad it made you laugh anyway smile

Julia


Yes, er sorry. More the way you say it than what happened frown

lock a cat in the garage for a couple of days with the car windows down?


Smart Fitness and GPS seller tongue
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535019
03/02/2008 23:24
03/02/2008 23:24

F
fiat131turbo
Unregistered
fiat131turbo
Unregistered
F



they also love the taste of anti freeze and brake fluid,does kill em though!

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535022
03/02/2008 23:28
03/02/2008 23:28

V
veggy
Unregistered
veggy
Unregistered
V



Use the C word

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535024
03/02/2008 23:29
03/02/2008 23:29
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
To deal with loose nuts I use a ratshit, at least I think that's how you spell it! laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: stan] #535025
03/02/2008 23:30
03/02/2008 23:30

V
veggy
Unregistered
veggy
Unregistered
V



Originally Posted by stan
To deal with loose nuts I use a ratshit, at least I think that's how you spell it! laugh
laugh

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535027
03/02/2008 23:32
03/02/2008 23:32

J
Julia
Unregistered
Julia
Unregistered
J



I'm not going to park near the oak tree anymore, and will start up a daily inspection for mouse droppings under the bonnet.

Quite frankly I'm surprised because we are surrounded by cats here. If the situation continues I will have to resort to anti freeze laced chocolate treats for them.

Thanks for advice chaps smile

Julia


Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535030
03/02/2008 23:35
03/02/2008 23:35
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by Julia
If the situation continues I will have to resort to anti freeze laced chocolate treats for them.




Between salty chocolate digestive biscuits and anti-freeze laced chocolate treats, no wonder I'm putting weight on! laugh


Uh-ho, tummy gurgling, I'll be right back............. sick


[Linked Image]
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: stan] #535091
04/02/2008 00:53
04/02/2008 00:53

L
Leedscoupe
Unregistered
Leedscoupe
Unregistered
L



Just dont let them get into the cabin. I drove a truck about 2 years ago that had mice in it. Every morning i would get in and have to clear the droppings off the dash. The problem was the previous driver was a scruffy get and used the passenger side footwell as a rubbish dump (I may have done this occasionaly i admit) he howver emptied once a week if he remembered. As a result the mice moved in. Whne you were on your break sat reading the paper you could here little squeaks and rustles from behind the dashboard as they scurried around. I only saw one once when I saw a little mice face looking at me through the face level air vent. I quickly poped the heater fan on full hoping to blow him out but the little bugger just scampered off. Three weeks i drove that sh1t heap for then one day they were gone. The truck went a week later but i will never forget the furry little gits eating lumps out of the seats and curtains.

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535239
04/02/2008 03:44
04/02/2008 03:44
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,650
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
shocked shocked shocked I sure hope the mouse wasn't using your cambelt as a hammock when you started driving the car! shocked laugh

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: Kelv27] #535462
04/02/2008 17:19
04/02/2008 17:19

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D



My parents had mice in their shed. They ate through tennis rackets and teddy bears, the nutters. So it seems most things are game to them.

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: Kelv27] #535762
04/02/2008 23:02
04/02/2008 23:02

J
Julia
Unregistered
Julia
Unregistered
J



Originally Posted by Kelv27
shocked shocked shocked I sure hope the mouse wasn't using your cambelt as a hammock when you started driving the car! shocked laugh


If only that had been the case I would be happy laugh

Sadly today there is yet more mouse poop and nut litter, and although there doesn't seem to be any damage to wiring or hoses etc, the little shit head has been making a meal out of part of the underside covering to the bonnet.

Well apologies to all you animal lovers out there, but I have had to set a trap with chocolate and a metal spike.

Tomorrow I hope it will be RIP mister mousey.

Would it be crass to post a picture if I catch the blighter?

Julia

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535765
04/02/2008 23:05
04/02/2008 23:05
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Originally Posted by Julia


Well apologies to all you animal lovers out there, but I have had to set a trap with chocolate and a metal spike.

Tomorrow I hope it will be RIP Stan

Would it be crass to post a picture if I catch the blighter?

Julia




Harsh, very harsh! cry


Ooooh look chocol........


[Linked Image]
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: stan] #535766
04/02/2008 23:10
04/02/2008 23:10

C
coopsnoop
Unregistered
coopsnoop
Unregistered
C



Rat poison is very effective at getting rid of mice, also it isn't as fast a process as a mouse trap. The extra time it takes for his death could give him time to reflect on the damage he's caused your car!

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #535840
05/02/2008 02:00
05/02/2008 02:00
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 126
Edinburgh
jockey Offline
On a journey
jockey  Offline
On a journey

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 126
Edinburgh
Get yourself a couple of "live capture mouse traps", homebase used to sell them and bait them with some cheese. That way you can catch the little beasts alive and release them!


98 Fiat Coupe 20 Valve Turbo 2003 >
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: jockey] #535913
05/02/2008 04:08
05/02/2008 04:08

B
BrumJim
Unregistered
BrumJim
Unregistered
B



Just be happy that the local mouse population appreciates that under the bonnet of a Coupé is the best place to eat your hard-searched Sunday Nut Roast. Well, without the roast bit.

Actually, do you think that they store the nuts under your bonnet, and then tuck into them when they are nice and toasted? Check that they haven't pinched any tomato ketchup or yoghurt dip from the kitchen too...

Thinking again - are you sure that the problem isn't squirrels? Storing their nuts in your car where it is nice and warm (particularly after a good run). Then when they wake up mid-hibernation, they know where the nuts are, don't have to do any digging to find them, and have a nice cosy warm corner to eat them in?

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #536030
05/02/2008 14:28
05/02/2008 14:28
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
Apropos of this, a work colleague just pulled the undertray from his Fabia diesel turbo, and removed two kilos of acorns... he suspects squirrels.

There were a lot of cases in the Black Forest in Germany about ten years ago of Pine Martens taking a taste of the cabling in BMW an Mercs; both had major redesign to use plastics the Martens didn't like.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: barnacle] #537153
07/02/2008 00:19
07/02/2008 00:19

J
Julia
Unregistered
Julia
Unregistered
J



Ok, the deed is done.

This morning one very fat mouse was RIP in the trap I set on my battery with a piece of sticky chocolate frown

I did kind of feel bad for a few moments, but I think mister mousey got what he deserved.

Did he really except to use my car like a picnic area and open toilet and get away with it, eh?

Julia
aka 'Vermin Controller Extraordinaire'

Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: ] #537155
07/02/2008 00:26
07/02/2008 00:26
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
cry

You could profit from this though........ Thai snacks anyone? laugh


[Linked Image]
Re: Eek...a mouse in the house! [Re: stan] #537351
07/02/2008 04:05
07/02/2008 04:05

D
Darren156
Unregistered
Darren156
Unregistered
D



NOOOOO!!! The poor mousey!!! frown

Ah well, I suppose he got what was coming, it was either you or him.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.012s Queries: 14 (0.007s) Memory: 0.6932 MB (Peak: 0.8639 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 03:34:35 UTC