Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dracula, 1 invisible), 235 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,715
Posts1,170,028
Members1,657
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,883
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do people regret modding their coop??? #552730
01/03/2008 01:26
01/03/2008 01:26
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
jacob0902 Offline OP
Making a profit
jacob0902  Offline OP
Making a profit

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
Hi all, was just wondering how many people regret modding their coop (If they will admit it smile ) I see a few people saying that they wish this and that etc. So in all honesty, Do you have regrets???

Mine is totally standard.......for now wink

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: jacob0902] #552741
01/03/2008 01:56
01/03/2008 01:56

S
suba
Unregistered
suba
Unregistered
S



When it's behaving absolutely not.

When I give a mate a lift who owns an e46M3 and he says '*u*k me this is quick' I dont.

When I'm on a track day and start getting annoyed when people in exiges are holding me up on the straights - I dont.

When it's having a strop and I'm trying to work out why - I do.

When the GF finds out how much the last bout of modding cost - then it gets expensive as you have to spend a comparable ammount of cash on her.


Seriously - do you want a faster car, or a faster coop? If the answer is the latter then go for it. If it's the former then there are other cars out there that will do it out of the box, and once you have spent a load of money and time on a car you will be very reluctant to sell it.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552756
01/03/2008 02:15
01/03/2008 02:15

A
Akeme
Unregistered
Akeme
Unregistered
A



I think you can regret modding your coupe if you start trying to cut corners, eg saying "i have £2000 and must get X number of horsepower" and therefore not spending money on the basics which you need.

For example, people who want coilovers and buy FK's instead of KW's laugh

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552765
01/03/2008 02:39
01/03/2008 02:39

D
davidub
Unregistered
davidub
Unregistered
D



As Suba mentioned above, you'll be very reluctant to sell once you put abit of time and effort in to the Coupe. That's the one aspect most people probably don't factor in before they start ... it's hard to move on once you get "involved"!

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552769
01/03/2008 02:43
01/03/2008 02:43

M
Matty
Unregistered
Matty
Unregistered
M



I don't regret modding her at all. Anyway, she's only had a chip.



Last edited by Matty; 01/03/2008 03:07. Reason: Where's my vinegar??
Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552784
01/03/2008 03:04
01/03/2008 03:04
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,404
Anglesey N.Wales
cowboy Offline
Forum is my life
cowboy  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,404
Anglesey N.Wales
I don't regret modding her at all. Anyway, she's only had a fish

Last edited by cowboy; 01/03/2008 03:05. Reason: and mattys left overs

[Linked Image]
Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552787
01/03/2008 03:12
01/03/2008 03:12

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H



Originally Posted by Akeme


For example, people who want coilovers and buy FK's instead of KW's laugh


You ARE kidding??

Ross

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552804
01/03/2008 03:27
01/03/2008 03:27

J
jamie3
Unregistered
jamie3
Unregistered
J



I do after the last two days of grief, when my gearbox decided to blow a hole through the diff casing, while i was on my way to power fiat to get my paddle clutch fitted and was only 11miles from Rog, so ive got a £560 clutch which is not fitted, £200 on getting it back to Norwich on a low loader that could actually fit my car on as its so low, and now have to buy a gearbox or repair the broken one, oh and i forgot a had to stay in essex for two days and spend money there wink apart from all this i love the car.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: jacob0902] #552821
01/03/2008 03:44
01/03/2008 03:44

S
shaun8478
Unregistered
shaun8478
Unregistered
S



Originally Posted by jacob0902
Hi all, was just wondering how many people regret modding their coop (If they will admit it smile ) I see a few people saying that they wish this and that etc. So in all honesty, Do you have regrets???

Mine is totally standard.......for now wink

the only reason for someone to regret would be if unmodded cars had a vast price premium,and the coops about ten years old now and imho not yet rare enough to command this.i think if the modders of this world enjoy all the expense,heartache and above everything the pleasure they get from it all then good luck to them.in time coops will become rarer and more desirable and the few remaining good original cars will begin to increase in value,mine is in original albeit very very far from what i would call concourse standard(apart from wheels)and will remain that way.its all down to having fun and enjoying what you do.
anyone who is fortunate to own a concourse car would be advised to wrap it up and bring it out 10-15 years from now.
its already classed as a classic,but wasn't that the veiw of the critics all those years ago when it was launched?
just a great car,full of character style and performance.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552826
01/03/2008 03:54
01/03/2008 03:54

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K



Yes and no. I've learnt alot about tuning from modifying the car, however I would probably be driving an M Coupe or an S2 Elise now if i hadn't modified it.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552837
01/03/2008 04:10
01/03/2008 04:10
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
jacob0902 Offline OP
Making a profit
jacob0902  Offline OP
Making a profit

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
well, as i thought, some divided views!! Im looking at being brave and buying a drilled airbox (properly done as opposed to diy) the only thing i fancy is a bit of a growl type noise. I think this would solve my problems lol. If i do find myself getting to used to the power in the coop I just drive the wifes volvo for a few days,then get back in the coop!! Like a new car!!

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: jacob0902] #552932
01/03/2008 06:54
01/03/2008 06:54
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 23,347
North Wales
I've only done a few styling mods and engine mods, but haven't regretted anything...........yet laugh

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: Theresa] #552934
01/03/2008 06:58
01/03/2008 06:58

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



I bought an already modded one and regret putting some standard parts back on it! laugh

Very happy on the visual front, so no changes there. Just need to get myself another big turbo then a proper live map.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552937
01/03/2008 07:09
01/03/2008 07:09

S
suba
Unregistered
suba
Unregistered
S



Originally Posted by Kenno
Yes and no. I've learnt alot about tuning from modifying the car, however I would probably be driving an M Coupe or an S2 Elise now if i hadn't modified it.


Another good point - I have learnt a huge ammount about forced induction engines from owning my coupe. laugh

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #552984
01/03/2008 15:36
01/03/2008 15:36
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,386
Staffordshire
Quote
Im looking at being brave and buying a drilled airbox (properly done as opposed to diy)


You need the unique vented airbox - best of both worlds - you can pull a lever and have about 1/3 of the side of the airbox open or if you want a bit of quiet, you can close it up again

closed

open

cable control

detail showing cable and lever

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: Nigel] #553057
01/03/2008 17:51
01/03/2008 17:51
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,649
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Kelv27 Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Kelv27  Offline
Club member 7239, Regional Rep., Malaysia
Forum is my job

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,649
Malaysia..Glasgow at heart
Holy smokes Nigel! That looks super cool! smile

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: Kelv27] #553205
01/03/2008 22:21
01/03/2008 22:21

M
mona
Unregistered
mona
Unregistered
M



I don't regret some of the mods I've done - well, apart from the chip which has caused about £1800+ of damage to the engine that is! I prefer the look of mine now with the revised front bumper & LE skirts - the Momo Ferrari alloys which are love , but were a NIGHTMARE to get on cry !

The suspension mods were probably the best though, as it now handles - as well as the brake mods to stop it! Minor engine mods - K & N + exhaust worked well too - so overall, no I don't regret it (the money spent is another possible) - but I would think that standard cars will be more desirable in future (like Golf GTi's/Cossies etc) - I'm concentrating on the here & now when I'm the owner/driver as I think I've improved on the car that Fiat produced. cool

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #553701
02/03/2008 23:38
02/03/2008 23:38

O
owl10
Unregistered
owl10
Unregistered
O



as other people have mentioned, when its all working as it should and life is good etc, then no regrets at all, when its playing up and i dont know whats wrong let alone how to make it all better then sometimes i think why why why did i ever bother.

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #553705
03/03/2008 00:01
03/03/2008 00:01
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,285
Manchester
GraemeC Offline
Competition Level
GraemeC  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,285
Manchester
Compared to many, I have only mild mods and they've suspension orientated (strut brace, Nigel brace, whiteline ARB, Eibach/Bilstein's, Red Dot discs/pads, widget) - IMO they improve the standard setup considerably

Oh, and an S/Steel exhaust, but only because I got fed up with the ends falling off the standard mild steel items evey two years rolleyes

I never thought I'd sell my coupe at a profit many years down the line - its very tidy but not concourse and it'll never be concourse as its my daily driver.

For me its about having a good looking, mildly practical, engaging car, hence no regrets


It is hard to understand how a cemetery can raise burial rates and blame it on the cost of living
Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: jacob0902] #553706
03/03/2008 00:02
03/03/2008 00:02
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 55
Espoo, Finland
Red_Rocket Offline
Reaping the fruits
Red_Rocket  Offline
Reaping the fruits

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 55
Espoo, Finland
So far not... Alltho my clutch has started to slip and it's not cheap to replace... Cambelt etc. has to be also changed... Still intend to mod it even further, full respray should be done but can't afford it in while frown...

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: Red_Rocket] #553744
03/03/2008 00:55
03/03/2008 00:55
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
jacob0902 Offline OP
Making a profit
jacob0902  Offline OP
Making a profit

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 295
Sunny Pembrokeshire!!!
Well i think i will keep mine pretty standard,untill of course.....i get bored lol

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: jacob0902] #553790
03/03/2008 01:51
03/03/2008 01:51

B
busa1300
Unregistered
busa1300
Unregistered
B



ive been running 330 bhp now for 3 years and the car needs to be 100% reliable cause its used every day.
ive never regretted modding the coupe i never liked the way the boost died at high revs, just love the strong pull right to the red line now smile

Kev

Re: Do people regret modding their coop??? [Re: ] #553804
03/03/2008 02:15
03/03/2008 02:15

M
Madlil
Unregistered
Madlil
Unregistered
M



The week after I had Bilstein B6 shockers fitted, the car developed a really annoying rattle/knock from the front side suspension. I thought one of the billies might be faulty, but after 2 garage's looking at it, Turin Motors in Leeds diagnosed the fault........

........a loose top mount bolt!

Car is absolutely perfect now and the bilsteins are amazing.

I also have a Scorpion cat back exhaust, and the noise it makes is great - not too loud but a nice rumble that turns heads.

Last edited by Madlil; 03/03/2008 02:15. Reason: spelling

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 14 (0.010s) Memory: 0.6890 MB (Peak: 0.8549 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-09-29 21:09:50 UTC