» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 267 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,621
Posts1,341,296
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,566
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,825
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
i've ordered a brembo seal set,can i do it myself? #623782
03/06/2008 09:45
03/06/2008 09:45

S
sweep121
Unregistered
sweep121
Unregistered
S

as above, i've ordered two sets of seals to try and bring my calipers back to life. Is this something i can tackle myself?

what i do have is. . . .

basic mechanical knowledge

enthusiasm

guid sturdy hands

if i do let the mechanic do it, how much should it cost ball park?

Re: i've ordered a brembo seal set,can i do it myself? [Re: ] #623807
03/06/2008 10:54
03/06/2008 10:54

D
devbod
Unregistered
devbod
Unregistered
D

Yes but they are a PITA.

Take out pads first and replace with thin wood and press brake pedal to push out pistons as far as possible. If one doesnt move keep trying, alternatives are *much* harder. Use long piece of wood so you get leverage to waggle it free afterwards.

Unless solid pipe coming out of caliper has been very recently done then it will probably break when you remove it so allow for replacing these. Just bring broken bits to garage and they'll do you some copies. Mine charged 20 quid but this was expensive I think.

There is a how to guide for this that separates the caliper into its two halves. Mine was 'reluctant' and worried about damage to the connecting pipe I did the job without separating it.

Assuming from 'bring back to life' that they are sticking. Even when pushed out as above they are hard to remove. One of those large plumbers wrenches is great for grabbing the end of the piston and twisting it back and forth to help free it.

Once the old seals are out check for corrosion in the recess for the seal. Its impossible to see it without a small mirror though the head of soft nail is good at removing it. If the new seal doesnt sit *perfectly* flat when you put it in its likely you missed a bit. I did and I ended up with a leak and a damaged seal.

Worth replacing front hoses and renew brake fluid at the same time if they are old.

Keep a close eye on brake fluid levels afterwards and check for leak by running finger under short pipe connecting both sides of the caliper.

No idea what it costs at a garage but worth finding out \:\)

Re: i've ordered a brembo seal set,can i do it myself? [Re: ] #627170
08/06/2008 23:38
08/06/2008 23:38

J
jaip
Unregistered
jaip
Unregistered
J

i found that if you blow through the brake pipe hole on the caliper with an air line/compressor the pistons fly out like missiles.

well they did the 1st time. i took it easy on the other 7

I only changed the outer seals on mine, but like above the solid brake pipes broke but a garage made a set up for me for £5 mates rates.

Re: i've ordered a brembo seal set,can i do it myself? [Re: ] #627831
09/06/2008 23:01
09/06/2008 23:01
Sweden
Per Offline
I need some sleep
Per  Offline
I need some sleep

Sweden
As above + the seals are also very fragile, I tried to push one down with a seemingly smooth plastic handle - I got small holes all around. Which became a split all around when I tried to remove it again.. New kit coming! ;\)
Not at all impossible though if You follow the guide + remove the solid pipe REALLY paralell..