Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Misterchoos), 1,112 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,108
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,309
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,904
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #629180
11/06/2008 21:57
11/06/2008 21:57

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



good post Ken smile

I guess it all depends on what we want from our setups. Barbz did recommend to me a CR of 8.8 to make the most out of the engine build, and I guess nobody knows better than him on building a 20VT. J has gone a bit higher, but seems happy with this. I think I'm going to stick with 9:1 and see how it goes. Hopefully not boom laugh


Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #629190
11/06/2008 22:18
11/06/2008 22:18
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,405
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,405
Castle Combe
In terms of CR, the general trend whether it be factory or modified is to increase. That said, a factory product is built from the ground up with the latest technology therefore they are designed to run this CR out of the box. In many instances a higher CR is due to the prevelance of increased octane fuel, an adaptive ecu and light pressure turbos. Most VAG modders will drop their CR from 9+ to middle-high 8s, old school but nothing like as bad as the low 8s and 7s that Cossies and older Porsches run.



[Linked Image]

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: Flea] #629205
11/06/2008 22:49
11/06/2008 22:49

T
Trickymex
Unregistered
Trickymex
Unregistered
T



I think there are to many people focusing on the static C/R

would some one be able to give me the details on the C&B cams that everyone is using??

there are many other factors at play that will effect your decision on C/R

the turbo that is being used will make more of a difference

High C/R seems to suit larger turbo's running relitively low boost, remember that whats more important than boost is flow

a smaller turbo will have to run a higher boost level than a larger turbo to produce the same flow, the problem with higher boost pressures is that you will have a hotter charge entering the cylinder and as a result you will have to retard the ignition

there is a lot more at play than i have explained above but it may make some points clearer for some people

all of this is theory and some times does not playout exactly as you expect.

But what ever you do make sure you pay attention to the turbo you plan to use before you finalise your decision on your C/R

Just for the record i have driven cosworth with C/R's of 6.8-1 and 8.9-1 plus the standard setup, most people would say that 6.8-1 is really low and off boost drivability would be horrible when in fact it was hard to tell the differnce as he speced turbo that suited the low C/R

Jay, Running the GT2871 will be quite a good compramise for your setup, you wont have to run such a high Boost pressure to make the BHP you want

Also looking at the flow maps you have uploaded the GT2871 seems to cover most of the bases



Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #629225
11/06/2008 23:31
11/06/2008 23:31

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T



Originally Posted by Kenno
I don't pretent to know that much about tuning, I'm learning things as I go along, as I suspect are you despite your motorsport course.


I don't pretent either i am learning too that is why i choose a motorsport course. I'm still only a first year laugh




Well in all honestly I planned to run 8.8-9:1 CR as Flea/Barbz etc runs 8.8:1 and JohnS runs slightly higher than 9:1 (he won’t say exactly what that is) so I am not the only one who has increased the static CR and I still feel there is nothing wrong with running 9:1.

The only possible mistake I have is that I skimmed my head and block too much and ended up with 9.4:1 (long story). I had the option to use a decomp plate to bring it back down to 8.8:1 whilst the engine was apart but I thought lets experiment, however it’s not the end of the world as changing the turbo to a bigger compressor could benefit to this factor. I am studying motorsports and it is all about testing your ideas and tweaking the results and I feel I have been very open in what I have been doing unlike some people who keep data away from the forum. wink

After another set of results if I wanna change the CR then off pops the head and on goes a decom plate. It’s no big deal for me as I am able to do this at no real extra cost (just my time and parts). I choose to experiment with my own ideas rather than follow the flock as if I don’t then I haven’t really learnt anything. My car is my toy, project and experiment and I have learnt so much from it.

So can we please now drop this and have some ideas on a turbo choice thank you laugh

Also I’m am still compiling a graph to compare all the turbos but using this excel 2007 is a bit of a pain laugh

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046014
01/06/2010 17:06
01/06/2010 17:06

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by TurboJ
Right plotted my engine on some compressor maps using all the data I have about my car including the last dyno map to be as accurate as possible.

Running 1.2Bar with rpm points 1000, 2500, 3250, 5000, 7063 & 7250

GT28R:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rlz6.jpg

GT28RS:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rsch5.jpg

GT2871 48 Trim:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r48trimft6.jpg

GT2871 52 Trim:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r52trimxp6.jpg

GT2871 56 Trim:
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r56trimmb8.jpg

Looking at these maps the GT2871 with 48 Trim looks best for my setup what do you lot think?


You know what TurboJ, I have absolutlely no idea what you are talking about here (well I do see the larger scheme of things) but, I tell you what, I would love to know more. Is there any decent books that you recommend to get your head around this aspect of engineering?

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046057
01/06/2010 18:13
01/06/2010 18:13

P
proccy
Unregistered
proccy
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by patch234
Originally Posted by TurboJ
Right plotted my engine on some compressor maps using all the data I have about my car including the last dyno map to be as accurate as possible.

Running 1.2Bar with rpm points 1000, 2500, 3250, 5000, 7063 & 7250

GT28R:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rlz6.jpg

GT28RS:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rsch5.jpg

GT2871 48 Trim:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r48trimft6.jpg

GT2871 52 Trim:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r52trimxp6.jpg

GT2871 56 Trim:
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r56trimmb8.jpg

Looking at these maps the GT2871 with 48 Trim looks best for my setup what do you lot think?


You know what TurboJ, I have absolutlely no idea what you are talking about here


rofl rofl

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046090
01/06/2010 19:15
01/06/2010 19:15

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by proccy
Originally Posted by patch234
Originally Posted by TurboJ
Right plotted my engine on some compressor maps using all the data I have about my car including the last dyno map to be as accurate as possible.

Running 1.2Bar with rpm points 1000, 2500, 3250, 5000, 7063 & 7250

GT28R:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rlz6.jpg

GT28RS:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gt2860rsch5.jpg

GT2871 48 Trim:
http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r48trimft6.jpg

GT2871 52 Trim:
http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r52trimxp6.jpg

GT2871 56 Trim:
http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gg2871r56trimmb8.jpg

Looking at these maps the GT2871 with 48 Trim looks best for my setup what do you lot think?


You know what TurboJ, I have absolutlely no idea what you are talking about here


rofl rofl


rofl

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046176
01/06/2010 21:31
01/06/2010 21:31

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T



WOW talk about rasing the dead laugh

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046264
02/06/2010 00:00
02/06/2010 00:00

M
Marco20valveT
Unregistered
Marco20valveT
Unregistered
M



So what was your choice in the end j?

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046293
02/06/2010 02:13
02/06/2010 02:13

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T



GT2871 48 Trim

Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: ] #1046364
02/06/2010 10:34
02/06/2010 10:34
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Originally Posted by patch234
You know what TurboJ, I have absolutlely no idea what you are talking about here (well I do see the larger scheme of things) but, I tell you what, I would love to know more. Is there any decent books that you recommend to get your head around this aspect of engineering?


This would be a good book to start off with


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: GT28RSR .64 vs GT28RS .86 vs GT2871R .86 [Re: Begbie] #1046370
02/06/2010 10:53
02/06/2010 10:53

P
patch234
Unregistered
patch234
Unregistered
P



Thanks Begbie and thanks TurboJ for the info! Already ordered smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.016s Queries: 15 (0.011s) Memory: 0.6469 MB (Peak: 0.7752 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:21:49 UTC