|
1 registered members (TwelveTeaVan),
1,148
guests, and 6
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,143
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Coops getting rarer?
#635961
25/06/2008 17:36
25/06/2008 17:36
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241 Anywhere that has roads
Welformed
OP
Forum is my life
|
OP
Forum is my life
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
|
Dunno what it is lately, but since the Mister2 became an ex-mister I've been driving to and from work in the Coop ... and it's had nothing but looks. It doesn't normally get so many, but then I've never been a commuter in it in MK, always other towns. E.g. I sit in the one short queue of cars I get on the way home and *everyone* has a good look as they crawl past. Even the fit women. I'm not blipping the engine or anything. The first day of driving I almost felt like getting out to see if someone had painted "twat" down one side. No idea why they'd do that... I must admit though, it is pretty cool! Is there a beter clientele of people in MK? Maybe they've seen it spanking more expensive machinery over the years?
A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: Welformed]
#635966
25/06/2008 17:45
25/06/2008 17:45
|
AlistairM
Unregistered
|
AlistairM
Unregistered
|
"Look at that strange bloke driving that strange car"
Or maybe its a "Hey look it's that car off topgear"
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#635971
25/06/2008 17:51
25/06/2008 17:51
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
They must be getting rarer. They are no longer made, but I suppose some get scrapped everyday. There are a fair few around my way though, possibly because of the local Coupe specialist. 
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636012
25/06/2008 19:45
25/06/2008 19:45
|
Guzbod
Unregistered
|
Guzbod
Unregistered
|
I am a little saddened at all the coupes being sold or scrapped on the forum lately. I think the numbers seem to be going down rapidly! I think it is an awesome car and always makes me feel good when I get in but I suppose as time goes by they will get fewer.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636021
25/06/2008 20:13
25/06/2008 20:13
|
Reuven
Unregistered
|
Reuven
Unregistered
|
Yes today we have lost anther one here-red 16vt got smashsd from the side........20-25 +left
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636024
25/06/2008 20:17
25/06/2008 20:17
|
AlanW
Unregistered
|
AlanW
Unregistered
|
I'm afraid they're still falling victim to engine failure which leads to many being scrapped, crashes (even minor ones can lead to insurance write-offs)and chavs who ruin them by trying to turn them into Corsas. The pool of original cars is shrinking fast and it wasn't a very big pool in the first place. To put it in context, Ford sell more Focuses every week in the UK than there are coupes on the road in UK.
Last edited by AlanW; 25/06/2008 20:18.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636025
25/06/2008 20:18
25/06/2008 20:18
|
jap
Unregistered
|
jap
Unregistered
|
Mines got a good few looks over the past few weeks. Alwars more "admirers" in the summer - maybe because I clean it more  Seriously though - most folks who've not got anything better to do (people at bus stops, walkers etc) have a good gander! Its all good  James
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636127
25/06/2008 23:28
25/06/2008 23:28
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241 Anywhere that has roads
Welformed
OP
Forum is my life
|
OP
Forum is my life
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,241
Anywhere that has roads
|
I plan on havnig the last Coop in existence. I'll have to buy a whole second one for spares in a few years...
A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: Welformed]
#636133
25/06/2008 23:33
25/06/2008 23:33
|
pfoe
Unregistered
|
pfoe
Unregistered
|
I refuse to break mine, they, as cars are far too good.
I think eventually when the pool of poorly maintained and rubbishy chavved up numbers are out of the equation they will be even more sort after.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636143
25/06/2008 23:53
25/06/2008 23:53
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,478 Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Cappo
Forum is my life
|
Forum is my life
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,478
Both feet in Meldrew Ave
|
The very good and/or very late ones are going to hold decent values. It's been suggested to me by someone properly in the know (only today) that an absolutely A1 immaculate late Plus could fetch up to £9k, although that would be restricted to a very select few.
Habeus Maximus V8 Nihilum
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: Cappo]
#636154
26/06/2008 00:13
26/06/2008 00:13
|
karlos475
Unregistered
|
karlos475
Unregistered
|
talk about coupes gettin rarer.... was looking at usedcarsni.com (biggest site for norn iron car sales) and found only 1 currently only 1 slighty optomistic in pricing a 20v NA but hey time will tell  and autotrader have zero coupes for sale within norn iron needless to say i see very few about my town
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636313
26/06/2008 12:38
26/06/2008 12:38
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632 Northern Ireland
daithi28
My life on the forum
|
My life on the forum
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,632
Northern Ireland
|
talk about coupes gettin rarer.... was looking at usedcarsni.com (biggest site for norn iron car sales) and found only 1 currently only 1 slighty optomistic in pricing a 20v NA but hey time will tell  and autotrader have zero coupes for sale within norn iron needless to say i see very few about my town lol.... that coupe has been on usedcarsni since last year. I don't think the dealer understands that his car is about £2.5k over valued! If you look on www.carzone.ie (Rep of Irl carwebsite) you'll see about 11 coupe for sale. About 8 of them are originally UK cars. I see that Inky 20VT which a member here owned before if for sale. I think he did a bit of a cleanup on it before he sold it on. Anybody remember who owned it here? it was the one with the badly kerbed aftermarket alloys and the matt paint finished front bumper. Was on NI plates, now on a 98 Dublin plate.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: barnacle]
#636688
26/06/2008 22:26
26/06/2008 22:26
|
Truffle
Unregistered
|
Truffle
Unregistered
|
Cheeky sods. I'm off to mutter voodoo curses and stick pins into a wax model of your big ends...
ouch!  thats a bit harsh
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636705
26/06/2008 22:42
26/06/2008 22:42
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
It does not help the survival of the coupe when so called coupe enthusiasts break their coups just because they can not sell them. And the excuse that people have spent to much money on the car and have to break it is cr*p, i know people that have dropped 20 grand on a MGB GT when they sold it on and they did'nt think of breaking it. People should learn owning a coupe or any car is not about money its what you get out of the car. If you don't want to lose money don't buy a car.
Last edited by lickyl; 26/06/2008 22:46. Reason: stupid computer
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636713
26/06/2008 22:47
26/06/2008 22:47
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,919
JimO
Forum veteran
|
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,919
|
It does not help the survival of the coupe when so called coupe enthusiasts break their coups just because they can not sell them. And the excuse that people have spent to much money on the car and have to break it is cr*p, i know people that have dropped 20 grand on a MGB GT when they sold it on and they did'nt think of breakin I don't think you can say their excuse is crap becuase you know an MGB owner who didn't break their car, its rather unrelated a little bit! I think people break their cars for ease of getting shot of what is an old, difficult to sell car
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636722
26/06/2008 22:54
26/06/2008 22:54
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,919
JimO
Forum veteran
|
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 17,919
|
People should learn owning a coupe or any car is not about money its what you get out of the car. If you don't want to lose money don't buy a car. Completely disagree, but there you go.... Any car will lose money, no matter what you get out of it!
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: JimO]
#636724
26/06/2008 22:55
26/06/2008 22:55
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
The MGB story is just a comparison, i know many people who lose lots of money on cars thats what owning cars does to you.People who break them are only concerned about their wallet.If you can't sell your car reduce the price its simple, cutting it up is mindless and a disgrace to the coupe.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: JimO]
#636735
26/06/2008 23:02
26/06/2008 23:02
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
lickyl
Unregistered
|
Any car will lose money, no matter what you get out of it! That is actualy agreeing with what i said. All cars will lose money you own one for the pleasure.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636753
26/06/2008 23:22
26/06/2008 23:22
|
adam6900
Unregistered
|
adam6900
Unregistered
|
The MGB story is just a comparison, i know many people who lose lots of money on cars thats what owning cars does to you.People who break them are only concerned about their wallet.If you can't sell your car reduce the price its simple, cutting it up is mindless and a disgrace to the coupe. And you will be first to moan when you cant get a secondhand part you need..........
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636756
26/06/2008 23:29
26/06/2008 23:29
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
symonh2000
Unregistered
|
At the end of the day many people buy new cars and loose more money on them than we would by selling or coupes. But do they break their nearly new cars? Nope.
If you buy a Coupe for £5000 then sell it a couple of years later for £2000 you have still lost a hell of a lot less than if you bought a new car.
Those that want to break though, go ahead it makes mine more exclusive.
|
|
|
Re: Coops getting rarer?
[Re: ]
#636822
27/06/2008 01:23
27/06/2008 01:23
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,127 South Cambs
Barmybob
Hon Club Member: 003
|
Hon Club Member: 003
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,127
South Cambs
|
If you buy a Coupe for £5000 then sell it a couple of years later for £2000 you have still lost a hell of a lot less than if you bought a new car.
Exactly...... In 1999 someone bought my Coupe for £25000, just over five years later I picked it up for a LOT less. Most all other £25000 1999 cars would have cost me much much more. Because of this high depreciation rate a lot of people become reluctant to spend money on their Coupes. This is one reason why there are so many Coupe dogs out there  The Coupe is a cheap FAST car, but it is also an Italian car. Being an Italian it needs regular time and money spending on it to keep it in tip top condition. This simple fact is ignored by far too many current & potential Coupe owners and they fall into the Coupe trap. They end up with a car needing more money spent on it than what the market tells them it is worth. So they break the car in an effort to claw back some of the money they spent buying the car. The result of all this is a large market of cheap second hand parts, fewer Coupes in the UK and less Coupe dogs about. All positive points as far as I am concerned  Though I would be reluctant to say I love my Coupe, I do say that I like it; indeed I like it a lot. The Coupe is a great car to own, drive, wash, polish and it also has a fantastic, and enthusiastic, following too  I am fully prepared to invest in my car to keep it on the road for years to come, and I think you'll find that there are quite a few of us like this around here now. If I ever do move on and buy a Lotus, Noble etc I feel it might be an addition to the Coupe, not an instead of  So Bye Bye Alfa
Gone Audi mad!
|
|
|
|