» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (respace), 200 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,623
Posts1,341,322
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,521
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,829
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: ] #647759
17/07/2008 16:23
17/07/2008 16:23
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline
Forum is my life
W

Anywhere that has roads
 Originally Posted By: SIMMA
A GTR is a better car if your definition of better is: straight line speed/perfoamcne/gizmo's/technology etc... I would argue that a Lotus Elise is a better car for a true driver. All depends on your definition. Opinions are fine, yours are as misguided as those that you call misguided.

In what way? I mean a GTR is a better car, as in it's a better car. Faster in a straight line and faster on a track. In fact, a Cayman doesn't even feature. A GTR is even better than a 911 turbo...

Looks and styling are a matter of opinion.

Can you buy an Elise for £50K? It's not in the same territory. An Elise with mods taking it up to a total value of £50K would be very interesting and very fast, but corporate market collaborations would never let that happen.

Alternatively you could just say that all opinion is subjective, fluid and a result of environment, in which case in our world every single opinion is misguided...

Better street cred? You'd buy a car based on street cred?

No. I bought a Coop FFS! ;\) ... and I have been personally upping it's street cred ever since. It's been fun. \:\)

This is where street cred needs defining. What is it? Certainly the likes of Clarkson has zero idea what street cred is, as he lost touch with 'the street' the moment he wedged his head up his own rse. And he reckons all german cars are the nuts and all jap cars are crap, from what I've seen, especially of late.

If a new Liner has more 'street cred' than a new 911, then I should imagine vfm, tunability, badge sacrificed for peformance, superficialities ignored, a car sold *purely* on is capabilities, and perhaps one that doesn't attract wallet-lovers and only petrol heads? It's like the cool wall, as soon as just one t0sser buys a cool car, it becomes uncool. The street cred principle is the same, I'd say - that one bad nut tarnishes all. Something that would be gazed on because how well it does what it does, not what it means just to own one, who owns one or how it looks.

But it's interesting you do think about image. Not everyone has the same view as you though - and they're the people you're portraying your image to. Ever thought of that?

I'd only think of image where others' respect matters. Nearly all humans are not worthy of my respect (it's that actions thing, mundaneness, stupidity, sheeple mentality etc. human-animals verses human-sentient), so why would I be worried about gaining theirs? We've fuccked the world we live on. I don't even respect myself.

I'd love respect from the likes of Dawkins, Kaku, or Hawkins. Alas… I don't think I'll manage that.

It's a deep-seated nihilistic erradicate humanity and let spiders inherit the Earth hate-thing. ;\)

It's funny that you mention ignorance, although you do accept that you'd be beaten by a well driven porker on track, thanks for accepting that. Funny how you don't like even contemplating losing, it shows your insecurities.

Why would a human who has no respect for humans be remotely worried about losing a 'race' to another human? I'd only worry about that in equal machinery. Until then it's just fun.

The way I see it is, if you're in inferior machinery, the person cannot be beaten. Only the person in the superior machinery can be beaten. Listen to an F1 driver for the pinacle that; FA really didn't mind so much being lapped by LH at Silverstone last week, but he absolutely hated even being out-qualified by him by a couple of 10ths at the end of last year...

I just love to see someone abuse our own creations, not those that were already here when we arrived.

Even if there's a chance of losing, you turn the other way, look for another easier challenge.

I think the vermin disease has already infected you. ;\)

I'm not looking to win, I'm looking to have fun, preferably at some rich t0ssers expense. It's a rebellion against undue classism. It implies I'm not worthy, only because I don't buy into it. The rich-mundanes think they are worthy because they do buy into it. Then they meet me... \:\/

I am the destroyer of [sh!t] worlds! \:D

If I cared about winning, I'd have a bike and leathers with a giant "Capitalism is organised crime... and you've been had you sucker!" painted on the back. Hmm… now there's a whole new level of insult to hurl...

A porker taking on a coupe in a straight line? - sorry I forgot, that 997 Turbo that raped you wasn't in a straight line, it was on a slight curve!

No it was on a straight. Dead straight.

It's a £110k car, it's going to beat you, there's nothing you can really do about it, just accept it and tip your hat to the guy in a expensive fast car.

To the car, but not to the person themselves. It's marginal though. Cars are always built to classist limitations and not to be as good as they can be. The only car I have true respect for is an F1 car - for one reason: it's what you get when no expense is spared.

I don't know why you try to act all clever and say that he's missing out not driving your coupe, or that he's embarrased so he looks straight on at the lights? Do you want him to stare you out with a smug grin on his face? Or wind his window down and ask you if you're running a GT28R or GT28RS?

It's because it's insulting. Any convo would be cool though. I must've missed the part where I said he should be driving my Coop. But he probably should, to see if he can see the £80K difference. Mind you £80K is probably nothing to them. It would probably be like comparing a Mars bar to a Twix, all appreciation for the creation is lost.

Whatever he wants. His life certainly, in part, revolves around ignoring or stepping on people, not because they are not as good as him or clever or nice, but because they don't earn as much and mostly that simple because of where and when they were born. Not even their genes are worthy of disdain. But that world doesn't work with me around... ;\)

I think other people should join in taking the p!ss out of humanity. Rebelling is fun.

I think what you need to do Wellformed is decide what you're really against.

Stupidity.
Ignorance.
Exploitation.
Self-obsession.

In no particular order. None serve to help humanity. All, in one way or another, damage humanity. All rich people do this directly or indirectly and will use a dose of the above to excuse it.

Being well aware that you could go and buy an equally expensive electric car, custom built or just a Tesla, but proceed to go and buy a polluting one, means they tick some or all of the list above. They should be locked up and have responsibility and sense of consequence slapped into them. Now THAT I would willingly do in favour of mucking around on the road!

Just a thought mind you, I'd love to show you the car and take you out for a spin to open your eyes juuuuuust a little bit wider than racing 50yr olds in cars with tiptronic transmissions and no interest in cars/driving. I bet you'd change your mind if that happened.

Fair enough. I'd totally be up for that. I'm not sure it would compare much to my uncles 190Bhp 500Kg F3 cars, but I'm up for any and all versions of fun. On a track preferably though. Not that I wouldn't trust your driving - but I have Karma to consider! ;\)

NB: anyone who takes any of that seriously needs to pop round mine for a good 'ard slapping session. \:D

A 340Bhp, 300lb/ft powered thread hijacker
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car...... [Re: ] #647768
17/07/2008 16:32
17/07/2008 16:32
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline OP
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline OP
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
 Originally Posted By: jim3
Excellent write-up SIMMA. I've been having a running debate with a mate about a Cayman S vs a 996 C4S (both ~35k). I always swayed towards the 911 (love the 993-esque light strip on the boot) but having read your review I think I'd actually prefer the Cayman if I drove both.
Enjoy!
Jim

Its funny, because there was a black 996 C4S parked right next to my Cayman at the dealer. Fully loaded, low milage, very nice. They were the 2 cars I was deciding between.

You have to weigh the pro's/cons. The 911 is older, but more established. Its better equipt but looks dated. Performance wise in a straight line - there's not much in it - practically the same bhp/tonne.

I've not bought a car with a value over £7k before, so this was a substantial jump for me. And it made a difference that the 911 was 4 years old with triple the milage that the Cayman had. The Cayman smelt like a new car inside, had practically no exterior blemishes, and hadn't even been serviced yet (every 2 years or 20k) so I was buying practically a new car that had been run in for me and used for 10k. With a 996 C4S, you have the previous shape car with higher running costs, more frequent servicing, older technology, whilst although its better specced, wasn't enough to sway me. If you need back seats or have young kids (or are planning for a baby) then the 996 C4S would have my vote - its still a fab car. I also liked the fact that the Cayman was lighter and mid engined RWD, its a purer driving experience when compared to the heavier 4wd 911s (with the rear engined handling traits).

Don't get me wrong though, I'd probably buy a 997 C2S in future (facelift one with 385bhp) but a decent example early 997 C2S are still 50k, whilst worth it - I didn't want to get a loan!

Sideways a LOT
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Welformed] #647770
17/07/2008 16:33
17/07/2008 16:33

S
shabba
Unregistered
shabba
Unregistered
S

Social outcast. (that is direct at Malformed)

Last edited by shabba; 17/07/2008 16:36.
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Welformed] #647820
17/07/2008 17:38
17/07/2008 17:38

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted By: Welformed
We've fuccked the world we live on. I don't even respect myself.

It's a deep-seated nihilistic erradicate humanity and let spiders inherit the Earth hate-thing. ;\)

Please - no nuclear weapons for that man \:o

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Cyclone] #647838
17/07/2008 18:04
17/07/2008 18:04
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
 Originally Posted By: Cyclone
Excellent choice Simma and a very nice step up from the Coupe.

I watched an S with interest at the last VMax and suprisingly it was almost on a par with the Z4MC that was there, and that had had a mild remap.

Nice car and given your write up definitely the right choice, plus your other half will love it to bits.....you wouldn't have got that with the TVR.

How about entering it in Fighting Torque, most Porsche's are covered but no Cayman S.....

Jules.

I think the wiki entry covers it, I am sure that i read this somewhere else as well.

Quote:

A Cayman prepared and run by privateers Jürgen and Uwe Alzen finished fourth overall (of 220 entrants) in the 2007 Nürburgring 24 Hour race, ahead of two flagship Porsche 997 GT3 RSR's, a 997 GT3 Cup, and a 996 GT3 Cup.[13] Another two privateer Caymans, entered by CSR and MSpeed, finished 22nd and 117th overall, respectively. Porsche disclaims support for the Cayman teams, while supporting some or all of the 997 teams.[14]

A sports car feature which is not offered by Porsche for the Cayman is limited slip differential (LSD). Some commentators have speculated that LSD is not offered, even as an option, because the Cayman S's performance would then be too close to that of the 911 Carrera. Several tuning companies offer Cayman buyers the ability to retrofit an LSD

And I do remember a green cayman from one of the tuning companies being in evo (I think it was green) looked very nice the only problem was the price at 117k !!

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: sugerbear] #647865
17/07/2008 18:40
17/07/2008 18:40

D
Duffman
Unregistered
Duffman
Unregistered
D

When people start to mess with the gtr tuning wise I dont think there would be many cars keeping up ....
For a 50k car it would seem the best option for cars in that area nothing will touch it.

I sat in one at goodwood the other day, nice friendly women at nissan ;\) thanks... Its nice inside but way too many gizmzos, compared to the old liner its on another level.

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: sugerbear] #647869
17/07/2008 18:45
17/07/2008 18:45
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
 Originally Posted By: WF
I'd love respect from the likes of Dawkins, Kaku, or Hawkins. Alas… I don't think I'll manage that.

Unlikely - you haven't yet achieved respect around here.

Originally Posted By: WF
[quote=SIMMA]
I think what you need to do Wellformed is decide what you're really against.[\quote]

Stupidity.
Ignorance.
Exploitation.
Self-obsession.

And yet you do so well at them... (well, to be fair, I have no evidence for or against 'exploitation'. But three out of four ain't bad.)

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: barnacle] #647912
17/07/2008 20:11
17/07/2008 20:11
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline OP
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline OP
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
 Originally Posted By: Cyclone
Excellent choice Simma and a very nice step up from the Coupe.

I watched an S with interest at the last VMax and suprisingly it was almost on a par with the Z4MC that was there, and that had had a mild remap.

Nice car and given your write up definitely the right choice, plus your other half will love it to bits.....you wouldn't have got that with the TVR.

How about entering it in Fighting Torque, most Porsche's are covered but no Cayman S.....

Jules.

Thanks mate, and yes - the Mrs definately loves the car! She wasn't keen on a TVR - the whole reliability issue and the fact that I can't work on a car in London put her off.

How does Fighting Torque work then? Are you put in a class against similar cars? Z4M coupe is fairly similar to the cayman performance wise, I'd expect the Z4M to have a little bit more in a straight line at the top end, and the Cayman to handle better/get better drive out of corners. I'll have a look for fighting torque.

Originally Posted By: shabba
Suprised it makes it quicker than an F40, as that has 440bhp/tonne, so 480bhp and 1350kg would be less. Still be quick of course! I've been in one, not sure if I mentioned that on here.....

Spot on about Malformed by the way.

Could just be down to the power delivery mate, an F40 is supposed to have quite a spikey delivery when it comes on boost (you've been in one so should be able to confirm if this is right!), whereas this turbo kit for the cayman only runs at 6 PSI - so I wouldn't expect much lag or a spikey delivery, which could minimise wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear? In gear the F40 would probably be quicker (better power to weight), but 0-1xx times and 1/4 mile are dependant on traction in a big way. Could be modern tyres also give an advantage over the Pirelli badboys on an F40 which were designed in 1987!

Originally Posted By: cosmograph
where's the drool icon \:D

Simma just a thought, but I'd obscure your plate in those photos. Cloning is rife on cars like this and car forums are prime targets for harvesting reg's. ;\)

Good point mate, I will adjust them tonight.

Sideways a LOT
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: S1MMA] #647940
17/07/2008 20:35
17/07/2008 20:35
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline OP
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline OP
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
Wellformed, I'm not going to give answers to all of your points.

What I will say - is that you come across (very obviously to anyone reading your posts) as someone who is very envious of people that have more cash than you. That's your main problem - you think it's unfair that people get to have more than you do - and make up derogatory reasons for it (i.e. they sell their own mothers, they stamp on people etc...), and your way of dealing with it is to act like the people's champion, making a point about keeping up with or beating more expensive cars than your own. Fact is: you keeping up with an expensive car, shows that the car you drive is fast. The person racing against you is not trying to teach you a lesson, he's probably just enjoying his car and comes across you on the road, and has a play with you. It's no more sinister than that. He maybe isnt a car nut, so isn't going to talk to you, but that doesn't mean he's looking down on you. Thats your own complex that you've created I'm afraid.

You talk about being such a breath of fresh air - someone that breaks the mould, whilst I believe you work in IT for a corporate and sell your own soul for that same salary that anyone else working for a corporate gets. Your own lifeblood is the poison you preach about. But because it's not you bringing in the big bucks - you retaliate against those who do, and try to bring them down by generalising about their lives and jobs, when you don't know them from Adam.

You already admitted you'd buy an expensive car IF you could afford one, but the reality is you can't, and until that day comes (if it ever does) you will attack and belittle people who are living out their dreams. I'd stop wasting your time and effort trying to convince the world that you know the truth, and everyone else are sheep/blind/have rubbish lives, and try spending some more time on your own life. Then maybe you'd be able to get that GTR and stop dreaming about it.

Quote:

Whatever he wants. His life certainly, in part, revolves around ignoring or stepping on people, not because they are not as good as him or clever or nice, but because they don't earn as much and mostly that simple because of where and when they were born. Not even their genes are worthy of disdain. But that world doesn't work with me around...

I will quote this, and ask you to think about one point. On friday, I earnt the same as I did on Saturday. On friday I was the same person that I was on saturday. I don't step on people, my job allows people to meet regulations to be able to work and have a business, and feed their families. I had a coupe on friday, and I owned a Porsche on saturday. What changed about the person? Nothing. The only thing that changed is the car that I drive (a lump of metal/plastic), and every day you make massive generalisations about people just because of their method of transport. You should think about that, and how valid your thoughts are.

High earning potential isn't about when/where you were born or stepping on people. It's about hard work, taking risks, generating revenue, and applying rare intelligence/knowledge. And you're very capable of using your brain, why don't you use it in a positive way is beyond me though - instead of creating all these conspiracy theories about people that drive expensive cars.

That's my last post on the matter anyway, no offence meant, I just wanted to show you that not everyone that drives a Porsche is a tosser, and that one of your fellow coupe bro's - who is generally a nice dude, can drive one and not be a stuck up banker. Because to be honest, I'm actually in Insurance...........

Sideways a LOT
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: S1MMA] #647944
17/07/2008 20:45
17/07/2008 20:45
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Very nice car, definately should enter Fighting Torque \:\) There are no classes so expect to get your ass whooped by some of the monster metal there but you should be plenty competitive and of course it's all about finding out the limits of each car and how they compare over a standing mile.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Flea] #647945
17/07/2008 20:46
17/07/2008 20:46
Castle Combe
Flea Offline
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
BTW, if you enter then I'll race you ;\)

[Linked Image]

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Flea] #647962
17/07/2008 21:24
17/07/2008 21:24
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline OP
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline OP
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
Just had a look at the Fighting Torque website, some serious cars going! Flea, it would be a pleasure to go against you if I can make it - would be great to see how your coupe performs in its state of tune!

Let me check my diary and make sure I'm free before applying, you guys sure they'd send me an invite in a standard Porsche - most of the cars going are modified/high power?!?!?

Sideways a LOT
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Flea] #647964
17/07/2008 21:26
17/07/2008 21:26
Nottingham
C
Cyclone Offline
Enjoying the ride
Cyclone  Offline
Enjoying the ride
C

Nottingham
 Originally Posted By: Flea
BTW, if you enter then I'll race you ;\)

Me too and you Flea, we never got the chance last time. I am just interested in seeing how far you beat me by.....

Jules.

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Cyclone] #647966
17/07/2008 21:28
17/07/2008 21:28
Nottingham
C
Cyclone Offline
Enjoying the ride
Cyclone  Offline
Enjoying the ride
C

Nottingham
Simma,

See here - http://www.fightingtorque.org - if you fancy it then just submit the application on line, you're more likely to get accepted with it being standard, let me know if you apply and I'll put a word in for you.

Jules.

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Cyclone] #648100
18/07/2008 00:33
18/07/2008 00:33

B
Borely
Unregistered
Borely
Unregistered
B

Gorgeous mate. Think i would have gone for the z4mc personally, but thats because i've got a thing for strange looking BMW's!

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: ] #648292
18/07/2008 13:30
18/07/2008 13:30
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline
Forum is my life
W

Anywhere that has roads
So does that mean you'll be coming round mine for a good slapping session SIMMA? Excellent, I'll get me pink Tripletec marigolds out! \:D

Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: Welformed] #648327
18/07/2008 14:41
18/07/2008 14:41
I WANT F40
S
S1MMA Offline OP
Competition Level
S1MMA  Offline OP
Competition Level
S

I WANT F40
Only if you let me wear my triple nomex suit Wellformed. I only practice safe sex I'm afraid...

Sideways a LOT
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: S1MMA] #648350
18/07/2008 15:24
18/07/2008 15:24
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Harpenden
 Originally Posted By: S1MMA
Only if you let me wear my triple nomex suit Wellformed. I only practice safe sex I'm afraid...

He only practices safe asexual sex, which is pretty safe as it only invovles his hand \:D

How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Coop ownership ended - I've bought a new car.. [Re: sugerbear] #648434
18/07/2008 17:42
18/07/2008 17:42
Anywhere that has roads
W
Welformed Offline
Forum is my life
Welformed  Offline
Forum is my life
W

Anywhere that has roads
lol actually, I'd rather sit amongst the induced thoughts of my human-mind, than let my animal-mind run riot and splatter it's seed everywhere. The only hand act involved there is from the skinning-up tray to my mouth. ;\)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3