You know how Autoglass and insurers say windscreen claims won't affect your no claims bonus if you're fully comp? Well, take it with a pinch of salt because they'll bump up your premium anyway.

There's a stone chip on the windscreen that surprisingly neither of us noticed during the test drive yesterday. I only noticed it on the drive home and it looks very fresh, I think it happened when I heard a loud crack during the test run.

Anyway, I'm certain it's repairable as it's definitely less than the size of a 5p piece (which is the rule of thumb Autoglass use) so I'm just paying for it myself at just over £70.

The reason I'm not claiming is that I ran it through various online firms which had previously quoted between £490 and £530 for fully comp with protected no claims, 7 points, no accidents but one previous windscreen claim.

But when I added a claim for this windscreen repair, they all bumped up the premium by an additional £40 to £80, which they would probably do for the next three years.

So beware. Windscreen claims DO affect your insurance.