» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Henklia, CanadianCoupe), 213 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,628
Posts1,341,378
Members1,807
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,303
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,837
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: ] #688166
02/10/2008 23:40
02/10/2008 23:40

S
sparkyman
Unregistered
sparkyman
Unregistered
S

I

Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: Baz76] #688251
03/10/2008 10:12
03/10/2008 10:12
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
Nah Baz, the top one's still illegal; it doesn't have the address or postcode of the maker. \:P

Are you aware that at the end of the month it will become illegal for 'show plates' even to be sold?

Neil

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: barnacle] #688263
03/10/2008 10:25
03/10/2008 10:25
Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Baz76 Offline OP
Forum is my job
Baz76  Offline OP
Forum is my job

Dumfriesshire, Scotland
 Originally Posted By: barnacle
Nah Baz, the top one's still illegal; it doesn't have the address or postcode of the maker. \:P

Are you aware that at the end of the month it will become illegal for 'show plates' even to be sold?

Neil

I thought that the poscode rule was just in England for the moment \:\? ? I know that it`s going to be in Scotland soon though.

Ach they`ll need to be a proper jobsworth to drag me over for these new ones \:D .

Baz \:\)

[Linked Image]
Project LE+
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: Baz76] #688268
03/10/2008 10:31
03/10/2008 10:31
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Cumbria
 Originally Posted By: Baz76

Ach they`ll need to be a proper jobsworth to drag me over for these new ones \:D .

I'm on my way............. \:D

[Linked Image]
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: ] #688273
03/10/2008 10:36
03/10/2008 10:36

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Mrs_LickyL
lol - this thread is hilarious! Lots of people claiming this, that and the other without having a clue. Apparently something you experience everyday in your working life counts for nothing compared to some person who's managed to google the crime stats for Nottinghamshire???? \:\?

Obviously my beloved cannot speak for the rest of the country or even for the whole of the county but he's just relaying some of his experiences. It's not exactly fair then for somebody who has no experience of working in car related criminal activity or who lives in the same county, to stick something in Google and proclaim it as fact! There have been generalisations made in both sides of this argument but the general public never see a lot of the hard work that goes on in the police force or the good outcomes because they are not news worthy are they? Much easier to propogate the myth that the police don't do anything except fine you for trivial things like illegal number plates.

The police don't make the laws - they just enforce them. You can go on and on about some laws being more important than others but there is no gray area to the coppers on the beat who are no longer extended discretionary powers. If there is a police road side check point pulling people for traffic offences - they are going to pull everyone violating the traffic laws not just a few here and there.

You may not like the police Belfastjohn - that is your right in the free society in which we live - and you have the right to express your opinion. People who work in the police are very good at having to bite their tongues to people like you.

You mightened like the stats Mrs l but dont shoot the messenger. BBC published independent stats. Not my fault it shows a very low recovery rate.

And as I've said before I have nothing against the police. I have uncles, cousins, and friends in the police. My father was also a volunteer civilian firearms instructor for the police. Trained the RUC pistol shooting team and captained it. He's been shot at whilst leaving the police firing range, has had to face down local paramilatries who were after his hand guns and at times been instructed by the police to keep one of his guns loaded and at hand. So before you go talking about 'people like me' you'd be better finding out just what people like me are really like.

No policeman has ever had to bite his tongue whilst dealing with me. Maybe asked me to give their regards to my father, or cousins or uncles or neighbour. But I can say this with quite some certainty. I have had to bite my tongue with more than one police officer and have seen many who think simply because they are police officers they are above and beyond the scrutiny of general public. I'd be pretty confident in suggesting that my family has much closer links with the police and sacraficed more than you or ur beloved.

So if you have some national stats that show recovery rates to be well above 10% I'll be happy to consider the source and accept them on face value

Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: barnacle] #688283
03/10/2008 10:55
03/10/2008 10:55
Both feet in Meldrew Ave
Cappo Offline
Forum is my life
Cappo  Offline
Forum is my life

Both feet in Meldrew Ave

Neil

I'm not clear to what extent the "Sep 2001" rules apply here? Presumably the plates had to have actually been fitted before that date to be considered exempt? In which case, mostly on a pre-2001 car you can argue the toss, (yes, officer, they've been on there sinc the car was new...) but since Baz is, I assume, going to have to have his car checked against his VDRS form, he just wasted £30?

Habeus Maximus V8 Nihilum

Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: ] #688350
03/10/2008 12:21
03/10/2008 12:21
Cheshire
Coggie Offline
On a journey
Coggie  Offline
On a journey

Cheshire
lol - this thread is hilarious! Lots of people claiming this, that and the other without having a clue. Apparently something you experience everyday in your working life counts for nothing compared to some person who's managed to google the crime stats for Nottinghamshire???? \:\?

Obviously my beloved cannot speak for the rest of the country or even for the whole of the county but he's just relaying some of his experiences. It's not exactly fair then for somebody who has no experience of working in car related criminal activity or who lives in the same county, to stick something in Google and proclaim it as fact! There have been generalisations made in both sides of this argument but the general public never see a lot of the hard work that goes on in the police force or the good outcomes because they are not news worthy are they? Much easier to propogate the myth that the police don't do anything except fine you for trivial things like illegal number plates.

The police don't make the laws - they just enforce them. You can go on and on about some laws being more important than others but there is no gray area to the coppers on the beat who are no longer extended discretionary powers. If there is a police road side check point pulling people for traffic offences - they are going to pull everyone violating the traffic laws not just a few here and there.

You may not like the police Belfastjohn - that is your right in the free society in which we live - and you have the right to express your opinion. People who work in the police are very good at having to bite their tongues to people like you.

Spot on. I agree.

ex 20v turbo owner, Panda 100hp, NOW FORD Focus RS &#128522;
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: barnacle] #688367
03/10/2008 12:32
03/10/2008 12:32

C
cosmograph
Unregistered
cosmograph
Unregistered
C

Neil

Doesn't need it Neil as long as Baz sticks to his story that they were fitted before Sep 2001.

As Cappo says, if there is some sort of non-conformity notice that is on record then I guess that's a different matter as clearly you would need new plates which must meet current regs.

None of our 4 vehicles have BSAU or postcodes on the plates but they'll all pre 2001 so no issues.

Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: Coggie] #688416
03/10/2008 13:10
03/10/2008 13:10

B
belfastjohn
Unregistered
belfastjohn
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Coggie

Spot on. I agree.

The facts speak for themselves. Either post up some independent stats that help your arguement or give my head peace. But dont make yourself look foolish by standing there telling me those stats mean nothing and aren't true when they so obviously are. And dont try to tell me thats just one county. As there is no way its a case that in Notts its 10% whilst the rest of england recovers over 50%. As that just doesn't seem likely. (Though its obvious you cant actually follow a debate or line of arguement as I've stated over and over its not the police doing their job I have the problem with.So resorting to personal attacks by refering to those who you disagree with as "people like you" serves no purpose and only adds to that feeling that many cops suffer from the god complex. Small men with big badges.

Still I can do that too and as theres no huge educational requirement to join the police I guess I shouldn't judge 'people like you' to harshly for your lack of understanding and inability to see the bigger picture. Police by the very nature of the job tends to attract those who dont have the capacity to think outside the box or beyond what the law states. That i guess is why police states are so easily created. People like you cant see the wood for the trees and whilst dragging man woman and child of to prison you'll quote your mantra @the laws the Law' See its dead easy to talk about people like you, but it gets the debate nowhere

And I've never said some laws are more important than others, I've said that this law on reg plates is a complete waste of time IMO which serves no purpose other than to needlessly restrict civil liberties and as Steamer so helpfully pointed out, helps to justify special units...I imagine the convo goes something like this

No chief constable we still cant find 90% of the stolen cars but hey we booked a heap of other criminals. Six of them had the 'I' dotted on their numberplate. I ask you who would control such reckless behaviour if we weren't there serving society and ensuring people like them are kept in line.

Oh and what is most laughable is that you take your personal experience (which I have my doubts about) and generalise it to include the whole of the country, and then you start on about people generalising...Honestly people like you!

Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: ] #688432
03/10/2008 13:30
03/10/2008 13:30
Northampton England
Sedicivalvole Offline
Club member 2092
Sedicivalvole  Offline
Club member 2092
Forum is my life

Northampton England
Amen

Originally Posted By: belfastjohn
So resorting to personal attacks by refering to those who you disagree with as "people like you" serves no purpose and only adds to that feeling that many cops suffer from the god complex. Small men with big badges.

Still I can do that too and as theres no huge educational requirement to join the police I guess I shouldn't judge 'people like you' to harshly for your lack of understanding and inability to see the bigger picture. Police by the very nature of the job tends to attract those who dont have the capacity to think outside the box or beyond what the law states. That i guess is why police states are so easily created. People like you cant see the wood for the trees and whilst dragging man woman and child of to prison you'll quote your mantra @the laws the Law' See its dead easy to talk about people like you, but it gets the debate nowhere

And I've never said some laws are more important than others, I've said that this law on reg plates is a complete waste of time IMO which serves no purpose other than to needlessly restrict civil liberties and as Steamer so helpfully pointed out, helps to justify special units...I imagine the convo goes something like this

No chief constable we still cant find 90% of the stolen cars but hey we booked a heap of other criminals. Six of them had the 'I' dotted on their numberplate. I ask you who would control such reckless behaviour if we weren't there serving society and ensuring people like them are kept in line.

Oh and what is most laughable is that you take your personal experience (which I have my doubts about) and generalise it to include the whole of the country, and then you start on about people generalising...Honestly people like you!

Nail head... going on my wall for the description of common behaviour of the Police and Nazi Groups (Bailiffs, Private Vehicle Attendants etc)

Vinci Grey LE
Alfa 147 GTA 3.2 V6
BMW E92 M3 4.0 V8
Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole 2.0 16v ABS
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: Cappo] #688447
03/10/2008 13:42
03/10/2008 13:42
Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Baz76 Offline OP
Forum is my job
Baz76  Offline OP
Forum is my job

Dumfriesshire, Scotland
 Originally Posted By: Cappo

Neil

I'm not clear to what extent the "Sep 2001" rules apply here? Presumably the plates had to have actually been fitted before that date to be considered exempt? In which case, mostly on a pre-2001 car you can argue the toss, (yes, officer, they've been on there sinc the car was new...) but since Baz is, I assume, going to have to have his car checked against his VDRS form, he just wasted £30?

It wasn`t a VDRS ticket I got as there was no mention of getting the car checked again. I just had to pay the fine and that will be the end of it,so i`m posting my payment away to avoid any hassle \:\) .

[Linked Image]
Project LE+
Re: Got pulled by the police today [Re: Baz76] #688546
03/10/2008 15:38
03/10/2008 15:38
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
And that's a good point to call it a day.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4