Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Robski1337), 1,372 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Breaking Coops - sadly, more money #702641
04/11/2008 23:15
04/11/2008 23:15
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Just reading some of the posts in the coupes for sale section, I didn't think that coops could get any cheaper, but the bottom has really gone out of them shocked High mileage, yet average coops commanding just £1500 or so frown
I tried to sell my coupe complete for £800, it would have needed new turbo, brakes, a service etc, but yet nobody was interested. So I've begun to break it, and I've probably made £1500, with well over half the car left! How long is it until there's no complete coops left, I wonder! it's the coupe's darkest days at the moment (or lightest, if you're a buyer laugh )



Coopless!
Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #702642
04/11/2008 23:18
04/11/2008 23:18

M
MattM
Unregistered
MattM
Unregistered
M



Totally agree, one of my 20vt's is up for sale but there has been no interest what so ever.
I know for a fact its worth a lot more in parts.
Unfortunately i do not have anywhere to break it and so am probably going to end up selling it a bargain price.
Bad for me, good for someone

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: ] #702650
04/11/2008 23:40
04/11/2008 23:40

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



Mine is worth double in parts what I'm asking for it as well. Perhaps that is the new benchmark on how to value your car? shocked

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: ] #702731
05/11/2008 09:42
05/11/2008 09:42

S
symonh2000
Unregistered
symonh2000
Unregistered
S



The other thing is, people will buy a coupe because they are so cheap, and because they are so cheap they will not have the incentive to look after it correctly.

Also a few cheap ones around drag the prices of the rest down.


Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: ] #702737
05/11/2008 10:02
05/11/2008 10:02

P
paul_rallye
Unregistered
paul_rallye
Unregistered
P



symonh you are correct that will happen but adversly if every one breaks cars the price of parts goes down also.

i used to rally 205 gtis in early 2000 and i used to pick them up for £20! take out the engine and remove the wheels and hubs then cut them into 5 bits and scrap em! some even came with tanks of petrol. but they wernt worth any thing back then. now a sad one will get £500.

A good clean 205 gti is a collectable and ive seen them fetch 5k!

the lesson all you guys who have good ones keep them and dont panic. as all the guys who scrap and break them only add to the value of yours when it gets to be a collectable.

im new to the coupes and i cant wait to get my next one as soon as the old 16v is off the drive.

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #702739
05/11/2008 10:04
05/11/2008 10:04
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club member 914
Forum veteran

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 17,313
FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by pinin_prestatyn
So I've begun to break it, and I've probably made £1500, with well over half the car left!


Yes but how much of the original coupe have you sold Matt, it's all been after market goodies so far hasn't it and if that's the case how much have you lost?

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: Countrycruising] #702771
05/11/2008 10:59
05/11/2008 10:59
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
pinin_prestatyn Offline OP
Forum veteran
pinin_prestatyn  Offline OP
Forum veteran

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
Yeah Joe, there were a few aftermarket parts, but I'm not including them, I'd took the big ones off like the blitz boost controller, alloys, boost gauge, superspool, I made well over a grand on them, but excluding them, I've made about fifteen hundred squids. I've actually made money on the tuning parts selling them believe it or not, as I never bought them new, and always had an eye for a bargain wink

This is what was STILL on the car, what the buyer could have got if he broke it (guessing here as I'm not sure of the prices)

Manifold - £130
Bonnet - £175
Headlights with HID's fitted - £120
Sidelights - £20
Full leather interior £150-200
Grab handles - £15
Newly reconditioned, Sprint blue front calipers £150-200
20VT rims + tyres - £100-150
Front 360 bumper - £150
One off Grille - £20
Rocker cover - £60
New coolant tank - £20
New manifold cover - £15
infinity speakers - £20
rear kenwood speakers - £15
Standard exhaust system - £40-50
Supersprint decat - £50
Injectors + rail - £60
Coil packs - £50-60

Yadda yadda yadda, you get the picture. That lot there totals about £1300, and that's before the doors, boot, and all the little bits and bobs that all add up. If you've got the time and the space, you can make double or more what your coop's worth compared to selling whole!



Coopless!
Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: pinin_prestatyn] #702986
05/11/2008 18:39
05/11/2008 18:39

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D



Weird - kinda throws the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" out of the window!

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: ] #703150
05/11/2008 22:34
05/11/2008 22:34
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,671
Newport,south wales
B
Benny Offline
My life on the forum
Benny  Offline
My life on the forum
B

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,671
Newport,south wales
Its very unfortunate it has come to this frown when coupes cant evan sell for peanuts rolleyes

When i get around to changing my car next year i'm not evan
going to entertain the thought of selling it frown tongue

i'll just break it up for parts which will garantee some money and scrap the rest laugh

Ben

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: Benny] #703170
05/11/2008 23:07
05/11/2008 23:07

S
symonh2000
Unregistered
symonh2000
Unregistered
S



Thing is though all cars are struggling to sell. Not just coupes.

If you want to sell anything at present you will have to sell it for less than it is really worth. It is just the Governments policies towards cars and the economic climate.

The prices for good coupes will soon firm up again.

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: Benny] #703171
05/11/2008 23:11
05/11/2008 23:11

J
Johna
Unregistered
Johna
Unregistered
J



i will have your infinity speakers when you come to sell them smile

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: ] #703172
05/11/2008 23:15
05/11/2008 23:15
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,671
Newport,south wales
B
Benny Offline
My life on the forum
Benny  Offline
My life on the forum
B

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,671
Newport,south wales
Imho i dont really think things will pick up till late next
year smile

Ben

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: Benny] #703294
06/11/2008 09:59
06/11/2008 09:59

S
symonh2000
Unregistered
symonh2000
Unregistered
S



it is also all relative.
You may sell your coupe for less than it is worth, but you can also buy your next car for a lower price.

If prices pick up, the price of your replacement car will also rise.

If you look at it that way things don't look quite as bad.

Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: Benny] #703296
06/11/2008 10:02
06/11/2008 10:02
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,676
Didcot - Oxon
RusH Offline
My life on the forum
RusH  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,676
Didcot - Oxon
Originally Posted by Benny
Imho i dont really think things will pick up till late next
year :)Ben


I agree..

Plus with the decrease in numbers and their rarity increasing their price will increase in time.

I have thought about selling mine over the last couple of months, but tbh looking at the enjoyment i get out of the car versus what it's actually worth at the moment its a no brainer for me!

I've even considered buying another one - there are a few LE/Plus's going for stupid money at the moment.


Coupe now sold!
Re: Breaking Coops - sadly, more money [Re: RusH] #704500
08/11/2008 14:55
08/11/2008 14:55

W
weyland
Unregistered
weyland
Unregistered
W



^^ Yeah I'm looking at buying a mint Turbo + or an LE. Even though I currently own a 5 spd coupe as my only car, it will be difficult to sell for the price I want.
Due to putting nearly all of my money into a house in the coming year or so, I am rapidly going off the idea of spending £13k on an 18 month old Civic TR/Focus ST.
Even though they would make a great 2nd hand buy if they are losing 6-7 grand in 18 months and yes they are much better than the coupe in the ride and handling stakes, I don't think I could justify spending 13k on a weekend car anymore.
I could get so much more value for money from a mint Turbo+ for less than 5K, that really won't get driven a lot in reality but still feel a bit special at weekends.
This economic crisis really is bad as I'm the last person in the world that would start thinking like this, as I love my cars but I never though I would think like this even 6 months ago shocked


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.013s Queries: 14 (0.008s) Memory: 0.6540 MB (Peak: 0.7776 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:47:33 UTC