Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Turbo Info #706398
12/11/2008 13:54
12/11/2008 13:54
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
I currently have a a GT28R turbo which as I understand is actually a GT2560R using Garretts terminology. Which other turbos will fit straight on without any further mods.

I have all the other supporting mods just looking at what turbo options I have.

Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706404
12/11/2008 14:02
12/11/2008 14:02

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



RS, RSR, 2871R, 3071WG

what kind of power are you looking for?

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706406
12/11/2008 14:06
12/11/2008 14:06
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
Originally Posted by eldinho
RS, RSR, 2871R, 3071WG
what kind of power are you looking for?


Am I right in thinking that
R = GT2560R
RS = GT2860R
RSR = GT2860RS


Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706414
12/11/2008 14:12
12/11/2008 14:12

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



rsr is a gt28r with a RS compressor wheel.

rs = gt2860rs (aka Disco Potato)

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706426
12/11/2008 14:29
12/11/2008 14:29
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
OK so if

R = GT2560R
RS = GT2860RS
RSR = GT2560R + RS Comp Wheel

where does the GT2860R fit in?

Sorry is these are dumb questions but am a bit confused.

Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706440
12/11/2008 14:48
12/11/2008 14:48

W
Webbo
Unregistered
Webbo
Unregistered
W



GT2860R has a larger trim than the GT2560R on both the compressor and turbine wheels, also a slightly larger diameter turbine wheel. Effectively the GT2860R will flow more but spool up slightly slower than the GT2560R.

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706447
12/11/2008 15:03
12/11/2008 15:03

W
Webbo
Unregistered
Webbo
Unregistered
W



The GT2860R has the same compressor and turbine wheel as the GT2860RS but appears to have the housing designed for skylines so I would ignore it and decide between the GT2560R and GT2860RS.

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706472
12/11/2008 15:56
12/11/2008 15:56
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
Originally Posted by Webbo
The GT2860R has the same compressor and turbine wheel as the GT2860RS but appears to have the housing designed for skylines so I would ignore it and decide between the GT2560R and GT2860RS.


Thats whats I figured but want sure. I already have a GT28R (GT2560R) so I guess the next step up would be a GT2860RS

Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706476
12/11/2008 16:01
12/11/2008 16:01

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



it would be, but what are your current mods? With an RS you will be starting to push the internals!

Trust me! wink

Last edited by eldinho; 12/11/2008 16:05. Reason: think we need another internals thread :D
Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706477
12/11/2008 16:06
12/11/2008 16:06

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



h2ypr (Ross) upgraded from a GT28R to an RSR, so he might be able to tell you how much of a difference it made. wink

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706478
12/11/2008 16:10
12/11/2008 16:10

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



tick, tick, tick, tick, boom! laugh

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706481
12/11/2008 16:12
12/11/2008 16:12

S
suba
Unregistered
suba
Unregistered
S



sure - if you run 1.5 bar! wink Gt28RS will make over 300bhp with ease at a shade over a bar of boost on a well setup car. smile

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706491
12/11/2008 16:18
12/11/2008 16:18

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



Originally Posted by suba
sure - if you run 1.5 bar! wink


that was only special occasions laugh it was actually set up for 1.4 bar, but was mapped at 1.5! very little difference between the two! most of the time it was ran at 0.9 so it didn't use WI!

If you are going to go for an RS, dont go for much more than 1.1bar at redline IMO

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706522
12/11/2008 17:10
12/11/2008 17:10
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
I don't have any forged internals or headwork, just the usual PA FMIC, PA SIP, Apexi Filter. My current EBC will be replaced with an R spec Blitz ID3. Clutch is also being replace with a Helix Organic. Other Mods are DBA front disc, 3G rear disks, Yellow stuff and Textar Pads.

Would be looking to get the car live mapped as well




Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706583
12/11/2008 18:53
12/11/2008 18:53

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K



Hyperlink, do you have Cosmo's old car? If so is it still running on a standard exhaust?

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706637
12/11/2008 20:48
12/11/2008 20:48
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
yep - Robs old coop

Scorpion cat back with standard cat and downpipe with vband adaptor

Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706752
12/11/2008 23:55
12/11/2008 23:55

C
cosmograph
Unregistered
cosmograph
Unregistered
C



My ears are burning. laugh

I always wanted to put a Hayward and Scott 5 stud flange downpipe and big exhaust on it.

Charlie at SRR reckoned with a better exhaust and boost control it would have been well over 300bhp.


Is the clutch holding up Mark or is it starting to slip?

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706902
13/11/2008 10:25
13/11/2008 10:25
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
I wondered how long it would take you to find this thread laugh

Not sure about putting a downpipe on as it seems that your lose low end torque. The boost controller is playing about hence its being replaced and the clutch has just started to slip on high boost. I dont think its too bad as its probably done 40k with your mods

Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #706919
13/11/2008 10:40
13/11/2008 10:40

E
eldinho
Unregistered
eldinho
Unregistered
E



You don't want to lose low end torque but want to change to a bigger turbo?

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706927
13/11/2008 10:54
13/11/2008 10:54

K
Kenno
Unregistered
Kenno
Unregistered
K



I'd buy a blueflame exhaust and sell the cat back. Sticking a bigger turbo in will just give you backpressure issues IMO.

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #706931
13/11/2008 10:58
13/11/2008 10:58
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
I didnt actually say I was going to change my turbo just which would fit without more mods. I am just wieghting up options and yes I would like to limit the lose of low down torque which I understand is side effect of larger turbos and higher flowing downpipes. That doesnt mean I wont if the gains are worth it, just that I not bothered about gaining afew extra horses at redline at the expense of low down torque if that makes sense.

To be honest I thing that I will probably stick with the GT28R, which with the better controller, live map and either decat or sports cat should get me circa 300 bhp.


Re: Turbo Info [Re: Hyperlink] #707302
13/11/2008 20:40
13/11/2008 20:40

C
cosmograph
Unregistered
cosmograph
Unregistered
C



You'll be well over that figure Mark. It was 296bhp on the rollers as you've got it now.

Wow, 40K, after the mods, eh?

Must have done a reasonable job fitting the turbo then. laugh

Re: Turbo Info [Re: ] #707477
14/11/2008 09:32
14/11/2008 09:32
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
H
Hyperlink Offline OP
Forum is my life
Hyperlink  Offline OP
Forum is my life
H

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,244
Watford, Herts.
yep its about 40k, I'm and 82k now and got it 47-48k i think.

And no you did a shite job - I took it off and did it again laugh tongue laugh


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.019s Queries: 14 (0.013s) Memory: 0.6822 MB (Peak: 0.8383 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:54:59 UTC