» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 321 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,600
Posts1,341,110
Members1,802
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,553
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,300
PeteP 21,512
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,788
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Begbie] #792845
12/03/2009 10:15
12/03/2009 10:15
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Originally Posted By: Begbie
Originally Posted By: Flea
It's very much a road car but if I can manage an 11.94 @ 121mph using just my right foot, this is this same time as a Motec coupe with anti-lag, launch control and traction control!

You forgot to mention that you were both wearing some very slick tyres wink tongue

Yes I was using his cast offs!! tongue laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #792846
12/03/2009 10:17
12/03/2009 10:17

D
Daeron
Unregistered
Daeron
Unregistered
D

Speaking as someone who has been running well over 400bhp for the last 2-3 years, it's not wink I cannot emphasise how much my car has been put through it' paces. It's very much a road car but if I can manage an 11.94 @ 121mph using just my right foot, this is this same time as a Motec coupe with anti-lag, launch control and traction control!

Well that just show your knowledge! But aren't you the one who asks where are the high boost heroes... smile I mean why build a 400+ hp machine and then use it like a street car. It should be used properly to its limits on the track. Being that quartermille or even better on trackdays. Its obvious that you have the knowledge, why not use it for futher development into areas where std ECU cant go..
But I guess thats a discusion for an another topic.

Nice work with this!

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #792859
12/03/2009 10:32
12/03/2009 10:32
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I think you have misunderstood Daeron. I track my car regularly (it has the bruises to show!) and I have done the best part of a 100 drag runs, competed at TOTB the last three years and against other "supercars" over a 1 mile drag run (doing rather well I might add wink ). Of course, if someone chooses to run a 400bhp as a street car then why not? It is surely no different to owning a Porsche, Ferrari etc.

I have absolutely no good reason to use any other engine management system...

[Linked Image]

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #792870
12/03/2009 10:51
12/03/2009 10:51

D
Daeron
Unregistered
Daeron
Unregistered
D

No no.. I havent misunderstood.. I wanted to say, that in your hands that Coop with Motec, LC, TC, antilag etc.. could go better wink

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #793187
12/03/2009 16:27
12/03/2009 16:27

H
Hani
Unregistered
Hani
Unregistered
H

Well, as long as we can obtain the maximum from the standard ECU, why not use it.

For example, I'm abroad and intending to use the FC Performance chip and I hope it works fine with me (even if it is going to be trial and error). Motec and other standalone ECUs are familiar here but at this time (and simply), I can't afford them.

You can chack my intended setup in my signature. I'm expecting (and hoping) to see 400hp and I'm not intending to use the Coupe for drag and track only. I need it to be a street car as well (in fact for street racing laugh )

Back to the MAF smile

Is it going to 4" size from both ends?

If it is 4", and I'm going to use the 3" TI SIP and 3" APEXi air filter, I think I'll need 2 transition hoses (4" X 3") between the MAF and the air filter and between the MAF and the SIP.

I don't like to use transition hoses but it seems to be the only valid solution.

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #793193
12/03/2009 16:37
12/03/2009 16:37
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Göteborg, Sweden
Isn't it better to make a 4" SIP?

Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Freddan72] #793425
12/03/2009 22:16
12/03/2009 22:16

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: suba
I looked at an OMEX ecu - around 2-2.5K for the best one, and then around a grand for installation, custom loom, and mapping. smile

No it’s not, OMEX 710 ECU with standard loom is £805 all in. Pre-assembled kit for plug and play is an extra £50. It comes with a base map. Then full mapping is £300. So you looking at about £1200 fully mapped. wink

Originally Posted By: JohnS
I think this is a good option and there are also compromises wih aftermarket ECUs - such as a lot of them are poor at cold start maps etc.

I have to disagree with you there, it’s not the ECU’s fault it’s poor it’s because the mapper is cutting corners. Car companies spend months developing OE maps under loads of conditions making sure everything is right. To get a proper polished map for an aftermarket ECU will take ages and cost a bomb so quite frankly they never bother to polish it up. If somebody put in a load of time to the cold start on aftermarket it will be just as good as OE.

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #793458
12/03/2009 23:16
12/03/2009 23:16
Scotland
F
F927UBS Offline
Making a profit
F927UBS  Offline
Making a profit
F

Scotland
Right, I have spoken to Leighton and he know's his stuff when it comes to re-programming the std ecu, I would also expect that given the same amount of time in the learning process that the same or slightly better results could be achieved using any number of aftermarket ECU's.
I work with motec nearly everyday, and I've seen alot of supposedly set-up bikes that don't start poor running etc and like leighton I know how to achieve good cold starting using motec.
Anyway enough, My point is it's not what you've got it's how you use it and how good the person is who set it up.
Oh and motec do make OEM ecu's, ok mainly for small manufactures. Ascari A10 anyone?

Leighton, Keep up the good work and if I keep the coupe I'll be seeing you shortly.

Cheers Tim

Back in the game
Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #793490
13/03/2009 00:06
13/03/2009 00:06

K
k9huff
Unregistered
k9huff
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: TurboJ
Sounding good but how does this affect lower down the rpm e.g. idle, light cruise? If you’re moving the scope up the rev rage do you still have enough points lower down? Is there a smooth transition between the points?

It doesn't have any affect on idle or light throttle. It also doesn't move the scope further up the rev range, quite the opposite, it allows a broader resolution at any rpm/load point depending on the air flow requirements of a specific engine setup. Of course it has to be calibrated within the ecu in order to take full advantage.

I think you may have missed the point here. Using a larger housing means that the same output voltage span from the MAF now represents a higher air flow. Since this voltage is quantised to a fixed number of bits by the ADC within the ECU, this means each step represents a larger change in airflow, so at low air flows your resolution is degraded.

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #793574
13/03/2009 09:17
13/03/2009 09:17
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I haven't missed the point at all, in absolute terms yes that is what happens, but TurboJ asked whether it affected idle or light cruise. The straight answer is no it doesn't. While 0-5v is covering a greater mass air flow range, in real terms there is no significant degradation in resolution at lower air flows if calibrated correctly.

[Linked Image]

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #793690
13/03/2009 12:20
13/03/2009 12:20
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
and you have to consider that what we're getting now is higher resolution until about 4,000rpm (on my car), after which the MAF is giving 5v and we're onto pure maps to fuel the car - I'd much rather have correct fuelling at different boost levels, rather than perfect fuelling off-boost - I accept that the bigger MAF may have some tiny drawbacks because of less points, but as long as Leighton calibrates it correctly, I doubt if I'd ever notice

[Linked Image]
Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #793908
13/03/2009 17:25
13/03/2009 17:25

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

I haven't missed the point at all, in absolute terms yes that is what happens, but TurboJ asked whether it affected idle or light cruise. The straight answer is no it doesn't. While 0-5v is covering a greater mass air flow range, in real terms there is no significant degradation in resolution at lower air flows if calibrated correctly.

OK let me explain in more detail what I was trying to ask originally.

Ok, for example lets say the scalar of the standard AFM is 0-5V and for this range you have 10 points which are set at 0.5 intervals. If you change to a bigger MAF each point will now represent a "new" airflow which can simply be incorporated by adapting the maps. However my questions are:

Are the 10 points fixed at 0.5 intervals or can they be moved around?

Can more points be added if needed or is it fixed at 10?

If the 10 points can only be moved then will some parts of the range have fewer points than others?

If the scalar cannot be changed is there still a smooth transition between points as some parts of the rev/boost range may jump a significant amount of airflow?

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #793996
13/03/2009 19:55
13/03/2009 19:55
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
It's ok Jason I knew what you meant. I'm sure you know that MAF conversions are not new, the VAG tuners use them a lot as do many other marques. The reality is at low loads fueling is relatively static so we don't need huge resolution, indeed many load points are rarely used but they are there regardless. The biggest problem for a boosted car is that it has a profound impact on air flow therefore it is at the top end we need this extra resolution.

Suffice to say, I'm not theorising here. While I welcome the questioning, it is the results that determine the litmus test. This has all been tested over the last couple of months on my own car, a useful platform for such developments! The reality is it complicates matters considerably, but the results speak for themselves.

[Linked Image]

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: Flea] #794158
13/03/2009 23:35
13/03/2009 23:35
Wimbledon
paddy Offline
Enjoying the ride
paddy  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Wimbledon
The other point is, at lower revs and throttle openings, won't it doing the fueling of the lambda sensor a lot of the time anyway? Or have I lost the plot? crazy

Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: ] #794918
15/03/2009 16:20
15/03/2009 16:20
Near Reading
JohnS Offline
I need some sleep
JohnS  Offline
I need some sleep

Near Reading

Originally Posted By: JohnS
I think this is a good option and there are also compromises wih aftermarket ECUs - such as a lot of them are poor at cold start maps etc.

Originally Posted By: TurboJ

I have to disagree with you there, it’s not the ECU’s fault it’s poor it’s because the mapper is cutting corners. Car companies spend months developing OE maps under loads of conditions making sure everything is right. To get a proper polished map for an aftermarket ECU will take ages and cost a bomb so quite frankly they never bother to polish it up. If somebody put in a load of time to the cold start on aftermarket it will be just as good as OE.

If you believe you can get all the features of an ECU in a form that a normal punter can program then you are sadly mistaken. Aftermarket ECUs are all constrained to a point because otherwise your average user could not use them. It is not just the time, it is the access to a full programming language that you need to make it perfect. How many people who buy and use aftermarket ECUs can do procedural programming let alone declarative programming which it is naturally more akin to.

This is true of my ECU as much as any other. The Motec has got better in some ways as you can now put a compensation map onto any number of ranges of parameters etc. in the v3 software, but in previous versions it was only what the manufacturer gave you access to.

Former low boost hero - 616BHP@1.5 bar. 2.4 20VT RIP
Re: 20v Turbo "Big MAF" conversion [Re: JohnS] #795280
16/03/2009 01:57
16/03/2009 01:57

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

John I’m not saying that at all. I am saying that the cold start maps etc... can be perfect if the time is put in on a standalone unit without having the need for any full programming language. If you need to have full programming language to get the cold start right then quite frankly you have the wrong ECU.

“The Motec has got better in some ways as you can now put a compensation map onto any number of ranges of parameters etc.”

I’m sorry but that’s hardly cutting edge technology in fact that’s well dated. If I was to show you what we play with you will be amazed. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2