|
1 registered members (Greenblueturbo),
1,147
guests, and 4
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,722
Posts1,170,120
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Amber light through the red lenses
#820502
25/04/2009 10:45
25/04/2009 10:45
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
I am thinking of changing my rear lights to all red lenses to keep the rear all tidy but I have hit a bit of a snag as regarding getting the indicators to shine through the red lenses in an amber colour. I have tried using some translucent paint on the lamps which does make them give off a yellow light, however when the lamps are behind the lenses they still look red. I'm thinking I need something like a high intensity yellow LED type lamp which I have seen on ebay but they are about £30 a pair and abit expensive if the idea does not work. I know some other forum members have changed their lenses to red all round and was wondering how/if they have got around this problem? Otherwise any ideas?
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#821882
27/04/2009 22:02
27/04/2009 22:02
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
yep, ditch the filament bulbs, they emit too much white however you paint them
I have Yellow LED's in my red lenses and it works a treat, MOT man (who failed my white led front sidelights) didn't even mention them!
im pretty sure they didn't set me back that much though!
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#821883
27/04/2009 22:03
27/04/2009 22:03
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Ill get a picture for you tomorrow if i can remember
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#821986
28/04/2009 08:47
28/04/2009 08:47
|
Superfly
Unregistered
|
Superfly
Unregistered
|
I've a feeling people just use ordinary amber or amber/chrome bulbs; the red tint of the lenses isn't that dark, end up with pink lights if you use white LED's for the stop/tail lights, for example.
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#822416
28/04/2009 19:15
28/04/2009 19:15
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
thanks. I have ordered some yellow 11 LED lamps from ace parts for my indicators which i'm going to have in the lower lights and some 24 red LED lamps for the fogs which i'm gonna put in the tops, cost 15 quid for both. I'll let you know how well they do.
Now I just need to find a tidy way of introducing something new at the rear for the reverse light.
any suggestions anyone, I did see a picture with some LEDs mounted in the reflectors but that looks like it would be difficult to get them spaced and positioned evenly to look good and i'm not sure that they would provide light.
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#822461
28/04/2009 20:11
28/04/2009 20:11
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Nope, I tried amber bulbs in mine, and they just shone red Excuse the quality of my phone's camera, but trust me, they are perfect amber sorry, that was in response to the post above! I found the standard reverse light pretty useless on the car anyway, so just trail the brakes if i need light to reverse in
Last edited by Jeremy20v; 28/04/2009 20:12.
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#822669
29/04/2009 09:09
29/04/2009 09:09
|
owl10
Unregistered
|
owl10
Unregistered
|
Jeremy, where did you get your yellow led lights from?
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#823128
29/04/2009 19:48
29/04/2009 19:48
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
Jeremy20v
Unregistered
|
They came off ebay, but too long ago now that I can't check back in my feedback to see who exactly from,
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#824867
02/05/2009 22:38
02/05/2009 22:38
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
My Yellow LED lights arrived today, I have been busy on a brake refurb but tried them in my brake/tail light lens and yes they work. I now have amber light through the red lenses, So I will be probably be fitting my all red lenses with the bosco led rings next wkend. by that time I should have got the brakes done. that will be a couple of jobs ticked off. many more to go tho.
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#1217796
22/05/2011 12:15
22/05/2011 12:15
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
I am thinking of changing my rear lights to all red lenses to keep the rear all tidy but I have hit a bit of a snag as regarding getting the indicators to shine through the red lenses in an amber colour. I have tried using some translucent paint on the lamps which does make them give off a yellow light, however when the lamps are behind the lenses they still look red. I'm thinking I need something like a high intensity yellow LED type lamp which I have seen on ebay but they are about £30 a pair and abit expensive if the idea does not work. I know some other forum members have changed their lenses to red all round and was wondering how/if they have got around this problem? Otherwise any ideas? Led amber bulbs, I cant remember the brand or where I bought them from but certainly wasn't as much as £30, I changed to proper red lenses not tinting and they are perfect amber in use. Paul
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#1217800
22/05/2011 12:18
22/05/2011 12:18
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
Paul_H
Unregistered
|
thanks. I have ordered some yellow 11 LED lamps from ace parts for my indicators which i'm going to have in the lower lights and some 24 red LED lamps for the fogs which i'm gonna put in the tops, cost 15 quid for both. I'll let you know how well they do.
Now I just need to find a tidy way of introducing something new at the rear for the reverse light.
any suggestions anyone, I did see a picture with some LEDs mounted in the reflectors but that looks like it would be difficult to get them spaced and positioned evenly to look good and i'm not sure that they would provide light. my reverse light solution click shows indicators as well 
|
|
|
Re: Amber light through the red lenses
[Re: ]
#1217821
22/05/2011 13:17
22/05/2011 13:17
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
Johnny
Unregistered
|
I have led rings in all four lenses for stop and tail, Indicators in the bottom set and fogs in both the top for symetry, what you have is different... Vid Here not the best quality but gives you an idea from another thread Ive got something similar to these ... Amber led but not exactly the same, less LEDs.
|
|
|
|