» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (F1GHT3R, 386ka, fiat500phil, ExCoupe), 279 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,421
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,659
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
coupedaves red or dead thread! #826178
05/05/2009 17:25
05/05/2009 17:25

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

Well as most of you know I have now got a Speed Red 20V Turbo which needs quite a bit of work so I thought I would start a project thread!!
It's near standard apart from a dodgy induction kit(which I have already taken off) and a chip of some sort, not sire which one yet but will probably change to a GTEC chip to be on the safe side.
It's also been fitted with a bleed valve but no boost gauge so god only knows what boost it's running! This will be coming off aswell!!
I have bought it as being described with a blown head gasket, this has yet to be confirmed but there was a lot of coolant in the engine bay but one of the hoses is leaking badly aswell so again don't know yet.
It is very very grubby under the bonnet, but I have already started to clean it up, I'm going to be restoring this to what I would call a very high standard.
The rocker cover has been painted but not very well and the writing highlighted in white very poorly, luckily I still have a spare rocker cover so this is going to be done Speed Red along with a shiny coil pack cover!

Bodywise it's not too bad at all(think cowboy was quite suprised!!) the roof has faded a bit to Speed Pink and the laquer has all but come off the mirrors but these will be repainted.
The only other bit really is that the drivers side has been keyed so I'll have to get it blown in.
The fuel cap needs refurbing but they ar par for the course anyway!!
I'll put up some pics after!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #826184
05/05/2009 17:38
05/05/2009 17:38

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

this was part of the engine bay when i got it, it's all as dirty as this to be honest!

click to enlarge

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #826186
05/05/2009 17:40
05/05/2009 17:40

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

about an hour later

click to enlarge

I used Autoglym Machine and Engine cleaner, I love the stuff.
Sprayed it on liberally, worked it in with a dishwasher brush and then used a small pressurised sprayer to rinse off.
I'm not too worried about getting bits wet at the moment as it's gonna be some time before it gets back on the road!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #827695
07/05/2009 20:57
07/05/2009 20:57

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

spent an hour or so tonight starting to attack the dodgy looking mirrors!!
got both off and have completely stripped the passenger one back to it bare bones, have taken pictures so could be used as a "how too" guide, trickiest bit I found was removing the mirror itself without breaking it.
The mirror was then rubbed down and has been primed with etch primer.
still undecided what colour it is going to be painted.
will put up pics over the weekend.
the good part is that the mrs has said I can spend every evening in the garage if i want, no arguing over the TV then!!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #829801
11/05/2009 21:02
11/05/2009 21:02

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well had half an hour to kill tonight between Coronation Street so thought I would go and see the coupe.
When I bought it it had been described as having a blown head gasket and from what I found tonight I think it probably is true.
Reconnected one of the hoses I had suspected as being split and refilled the coolant and then notice coolant leaking again.
The coil packs and plugs have been removed and low behold i have coolant coming up the through the head and rocker cover where the plug normally sits.
So guess I may as well start stripping the head off!!!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #832138
14/05/2009 20:05
14/05/2009 20:05

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well done a bit more over the last couple of nights.
last night I had some spare time so soaked up the lost coolant from the spark plug port (bloody horrible job!!), took the rocker cover to have a look underneath and all looks very nice under there so have put it back on for now to keep it from the elements.

tonight I decided to tackle the front end to give me better access so....
.....off came the front bumper and grill, the two bolts that hold the bumper to the slam panel had rusted solid so they got cut off and off came the bumper.
next was the lovely foam, off it came.
then the slam panel was next which came off suprisingly easily, it looks a bit rough with flaky paint and rust so this will be stripped and sorted.
the rad has seen better days so that will be binned for a nice new one and all cleaned up and de-rusted and re-painted where needed.
It's looks quite sorry for itself at the moment but I keep reassuring it all will be ok.

the saga continues!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #833222
16/05/2009 18:17
16/05/2009 18:17

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

as it stands now!!
the stripper

done a few bits today, got a spare rocker cover which has been cleaned up ready for paint, speed red, taken the water rail off the spare head and cleaned it up.

Taken the bumper mounts off since the pic and cleaned them up ready for paint too

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #837798
24/05/2009 22:52
24/05/2009 22:52

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

List of bits bought so far:

Zender copy front grill from Spee - not really needed but what the hell it was cheap!!
Cambelt kit from ebay!

List of must buy bits:
Head gasket
Rocker gasket and O rings
Head bolts
Manifold gasket
Inlet gasket

List of "off the top of my head would be a good idea to change" bits:
Radiator
Thermostat and temp sensor
Coolant hose of death, well if the head is off then it's daft not to change it!!
Expansion tank, might as well put a nice clean one on while I do the coolant!!

Luxury bits I could change while the head is off but haven't got the pennies!!:
New manifold
New turbo
New exhaust
Samco hoses
FMIC

Some things that won't cost much but will get done while the head is off.
Refurb slam panel Bought decent second hand one!
Polish coil pack cover, water rail. fuel rail, plenum
Fit my old rocker cover freshly painted speed red
Repaint bumper mounts
Strip off loose paint , de-rust, prime and repaint speed red

There are loads of other things I'll be doing too but lots of things won't cost much and make a big difference like the horn brakcet and horns and stuff like that!!!

Last edited by coupedave; 11/08/2009 11:10.
Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #839912
28/05/2009 12:04
28/05/2009 12:04

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

Well the head should be coming off in the next week or so and have just been talking to mechanics from the garage round the corner from my work who come to our canteen for dinner.
Basically because I work where I do and they are interested in the coupe they are going to pressure test the head, skim it, pressure test the valves etc and if needed reseat them.
All to be done very cheap!!
They are also going to get me all the gaskets, head bolts etc at cost price!!!!
Someone somewhere must like me!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #840497
29/05/2009 11:38
29/05/2009 11:38

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well had a spare bit of time last night so out came the radiator, well mullered so will be replaced with a nice new valeo aluminium one.
the nuts that hold the adaptor for the turbo to the downpipe where only finger tight!!!!! so off it came.
undone the turbo intake aswell, caked in crap, quite a lot of play in the turbo shaft, none left to right but you can move it in and out between 5 and 10mm so i think this justifies a new turbo!!!!!
hopefully this weekend I should have it's head off!!
gonna take the radiator support bar off too and strip it and repaint it.

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #841569
31/05/2009 22:02
31/05/2009 22:02

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well been caring for a sick girlfriend this weekend so not had much time with everything to do but managed to get the turbo, manifold and water rail off

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #845192
07/06/2009 08:59
07/06/2009 08:59

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well the spare head that came with the coupe is going in next week to be fully refurbished!!
having it all done!
head is getting skimmed, pressure tested, degreased, decoked, valve seats re-cut, new valve stem seals, cams coming out and being polished etc.
he said when he's finished with it it will be like a brand new head, seen the guys work and it's awesome!!
He's gonna do it in his spare time too so just for the cost of new parts and beer tokens!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #880161
11/08/2009 11:09
11/08/2009 11:09

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

Time to get back up and running with the poor old coupe this weekend!!
Thanks to Matty thumb I now have a decent slam panel to fit instead of the scabby old one so one job for the weekend along with some painting me thinks.
click to enlarge
The head is still in for refurb I'm just waiting on new valve stem seals then just need to get the gaskets etc and the head can go back on instead of the one that's on it.
The other one is going for a full refurb too if anyone would be interested in it!!
Will take some pics this weekend!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #884502
17/08/2009 15:37
17/08/2009 15:37

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

it's looking likely that this maybe dead rather than red!!

Re: coupedaves red or dead thread! [Re: ] #887349
22/08/2009 20:12
22/08/2009 20:12

C
coupedave
Unregistered
coupedave
Unregistered
C

well I'm afraid after getting Leighboys old porto today the red will be dead!!
R.I.P.