Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,286 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,311
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,920
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? #846344
08/06/2009 23:53
08/06/2009 23:53
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
kj16v Offline OP
My life on the forum
kj16v  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
I'm building a custom exhaust system at the moment. I'm not going to run a decat so I was looking at a sports cat.

The cat would coust more than the entire system put together, so I wanted to know has anyone had first-hand experience of them and were gains over the standard cat really worth money? Has anyone got figures to show the differences?

Cheers

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: kj16v] #846375
09/06/2009 00:45
09/06/2009 00:45

C
chirs1211
Unregistered
chirs1211
Unregistered
C



Be interested in an answer to this too smile
Cheers

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846424
09/06/2009 08:45
09/06/2009 08:45

G
GreyFurby
Unregistered
GreyFurby
Unregistered
G



You can get a magnaflow sports cat from the nice ppl at Nemesis for 90 squid - it will save some weight, make more noise and produce less back pressure at high flow - how this translates to power/torque at full beans depends on 'everything else'

Old and New

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846432
09/06/2009 09:01
09/06/2009 09:01

M
Martijn
Unregistered
Martijn
Unregistered
M



I will know the answer in a week or two, since im busy with Countrycruising to get a full exhaust system with sports get shipped to holland!

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846536
09/06/2009 12:00
09/06/2009 12:00

R
Romi
Unregistered
Romi
Unregistered
R



Hi GreyFurby
What details do i give when i ring Nmesis, for the sport cat?
Is it an universal one or it is made for the coupe
TBH 90 quid is fantastic
Please give more details if you had one from them
Regards

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846619
09/06/2009 13:43
09/06/2009 13:43

G
GreyFurby
Unregistered
GreyFurby
Unregistered
G



Hi,

This is a universal one you'll need to weld in when you're fabricating your exhaust - you just need to specify the bore. Its a 200 cell one, but tbh I haven't yet had to get through an MOT!

Linky homepage

Linky item


Mark

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846639
09/06/2009 14:12
09/06/2009 14:12

A
AJ
Unregistered
AJ
Unregistered
A



I have a decat which I think frees up a little torque at the lower-mid rpm. I guess it might make a couple of bhp difference, but that is hard to measure. So with a sports cat I would expect a bit more noise and a slight bit more torque over standard. It would be interesting to see how a sports cat does with emissions though. With my decat the CO was fine at idle & fast idle, but HC's were way way over.

You will save some weight, the cat is quite heavy. I think Jetex do generic sports cats that can be welded in as well.

Last edited by AJ; 09/06/2009 14:13.
Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846652
09/06/2009 14:33
09/06/2009 14:33

D
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
DanielTheManual
Unregistered
D



I have a sports cat, but as I've not owned the car long I can't compare how the car feels with and without one. I am planning to see Flea next month for a remap and a RR so will have some figures, but as I have other mods I don't know how much help those figures will be to you.

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #846854
09/06/2009 18:52
09/06/2009 18:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
A 200 cell cat isn't a proper sports cat, you need a 100 cell cat really.

I've been running a blueflame system with sports cat for a good few years now, there is a very slight difference in performance between de-cat and a 100 cell spotrs cat but I'd rather have a legal, more environentally friendly car smile

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Jimbo] #846982
09/06/2009 21:15
09/06/2009 21:15
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,560
Oxfordshire
Gaz Offline
My life on the forum
Gaz  Offline
My life on the forum

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,560
Oxfordshire
Arent you a good boy jimbo thumb

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Jimbo] #847043
09/06/2009 22:25
09/06/2009 22:25
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
kj16v Offline OP
My life on the forum
kj16v  Offline OP
My life on the forum

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,728
London
Originally Posted by Jimbo
A 200 cell cat isn't a proper sports cat, you need a 100 cell cat really.

I've been running a blueflame system with sports cat for a good few years now, there is a very slight difference in performance between de-cat and a 100 cell spotrs cat but I'd rather have a legal, more environentally friendly car smile


Cheers. What about the difference between the sports cat and the stock cat?

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Jimbo] #847210
10/06/2009 08:35
10/06/2009 08:35

G
GreyFurby
Unregistered
GreyFurby
Unregistered
G



Jimbo - hows it handle the HC test at MOT time, I heard some cars were borderline with the 100 cell cat?

ps) You can put a cat cut-out to get best of both worlds (see pic) - downside is this is *velly* noisy.




Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #847260
10/06/2009 10:37
10/06/2009 10:37
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
G
Gunzi Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Gunzi  Offline
Club member 189, Former Club President
Je suis un Coupé
G

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,071
Southsea
Is anybody running a sports CAT with a standard turbo, if so has it killed the turbo seals? Also does anybody know what cell is a standard cat, in comparison to the advertised 200 cell?

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Gunzi] #847285
10/06/2009 11:05
10/06/2009 11:05

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J



I have a 200cell cat on my car!
For me it about right noise wise ,i am going to have over 300hp after remap,it passes mot's and its kind of green!
I would always go with a sports cat for a road car now,the hassle,gains and noise are not worth it imo!

Does 500cell sound right for the std cat?

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #847388
10/06/2009 13:44
10/06/2009 13:44
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
It's passed the mot for 3 years with no problems at all so no issues with a 100 cell cat. I drove up to blueflame for them to fit the cat into their full system, I got them to make a de-cat pipe too and make them easily exchangable between the two.

To be honest though, the cat has stayed on since.

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Jimbo] #847877
11/06/2009 09:39
11/06/2009 09:39

R
Romi
Unregistered
Romi
Unregistered
R



Hi Jimbo
what size is the connector that link the standard cat to the downpipe?
Noise wise, what is the difference between a 100cell and a 200cell? i need something thrusty, roary, but not too boy racer as i leave in a quiet neighbourhood
personally, what will be your preferance/
I need to know because i am building a sport cat, by cutting off the connector i mentionned, and welding it to my new cat which i want to be 2.75".
How doable is it?
Sorry for been long, just that i dont want to get it all wrong

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Gunzi] #848031
11/06/2009 15:10
11/06/2009 15:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,180
Havant, Hampshire.
OO7 Offline
Competition Level
OO7  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,180
Havant, Hampshire.
Originally Posted by Gunzi
Is anybody running a sports CAT with a standard turbo, if so has it killed the turbo seals? Also does anybody know what cell is a standard cat, in comparison to the advertised 200 cell?


I fitted my BF with sport cat before I done all the engine work and I can confirm that it DID blow the std turbo seals with in 3 months. My std turbo only had 42K on it and was in great condition. Unless you’re going to try and take your coupe over 300bhp (GT turbo+) I would say stick to a cat back system.

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: OO7] #848032
11/06/2009 15:22
11/06/2009 15:22
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
I ran a de-cat for 3 years on my blue coupe and the standard turbo was perfectly ok. I've been running a sports cat for around the same time period on my LE and the turbo is fine.
If your turbo is already worn it will exagerate this but otherwise I don't really think it has that much impact on turbo life. Obviously running high boost on a standard turbo with no cat is going to shorten it's life.

The connector is is a flange flat type at both ends of the cat so it can be swapped for a de-cat pipe. I think the size is the usual blueflame 2.75".

Noise wise, it's quieter with the 100 cell cat than the de-cat but I can't vouch for a 200 cell cat as I've never used one.


Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: Jimbo] #848101
11/06/2009 17:36
11/06/2009 17:36

R
Romi
Unregistered
Romi
Unregistered
R



cheers jimbo

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #848153
11/06/2009 19:21
11/06/2009 19:21

M
MattW
Unregistered
MattW
Unregistered
M



Originally Posted by AJ
You will save some weight, the cat is quite heavy.


So is a decat pipe, for that matter..... tongue

Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #848187
11/06/2009 20:32
11/06/2009 20:32

A
AJ
Unregistered
AJ
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by MattW
Originally Posted by AJ
You will save some weight, the cat is quite heavy.


So is a decat pipe, for that matter..... tongue


Not really, it must weigh all of 1/2kg maximum - the flange is the heaviest part. The original 16vt cat is huge and must weigh >5kg


Last edited by AJ; 11/06/2009 20:32.
Re: Sports cat really worth it? Anyone used one? [Re: ] #848254
11/06/2009 21:56
11/06/2009 21:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
J
Jimbo Offline
Je suis un Coupé
Jimbo  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
J

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 9,707
Gone
The sports cat is tiny, it's the size of a big tin of beans so probably quite a bit lighter than the standard cat if your in to saving the odd gram or two.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.015s Queries: 14 (0.009s) Memory: 0.6821 MB (Peak: 0.8405 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:54:31 UTC