» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (F1GHT3R, Cyborgguy, paulw), 208 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,432
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,521
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ *Pic Heavy* #872724
27/07/2009 11:28
27/07/2009 11:28

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Introduction

When I began this project back in 2004 I knew nothing about cars. This project has taught me everything I know. Over the years I transformed from a young naive boy racer, to a more mature professional, "race engineer”. I have a triple distinction in BTEC National Diploma and currently undertaking a Mortorsport Degree. I only have the car and my determination to thank for this, anyway, less about me and more about the car.

Stage 0 - Standard

This is my Bravo completely standard (minus the air filter). It was originally a 2.0 20V HGT 155 VIS engine.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #872732
27/07/2009 11:56
27/07/2009 11:56

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 1 – Engine In

I can’t find the photos of the engine being fitted but trust me it was a pig. I was one of the first in the UK to do this type of conversion so there was no text book answers like there are now. Many problems arose but compromises were made. I kept the car like this for two years attending Donny 2004 and Donny 2005 shows.

Spec:
240BHP/200 ft/lb estimated
Standard Turbo Garrett T28 @ 1.2 Bar of Boost
4 pot Brembo calipers with 320mm custom discs
Re-profiled camshafts
Induction kit
Custom exhaust system with de-cat
Custom inlet pipes
Stiffer rear shocks
Standard intercooler
Water Injection System
Standard ECU with custom wiring loom
Coupe standard Fuel pump
Live Map @ Thor Racing

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #872756
27/07/2009 12:39
27/07/2009 12:39

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 2 - Stripdown

After two years of a good setup the turbo finally let go. At this point I had a summer job at a garage and the guy let me do the work there. I had never rebuilt an engine before so his guidance SHOULD have been handy. I decided to upgrade as much parts as I could afford.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #872876
27/07/2009 16:56
27/07/2009 16:56

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 2 – Machine Shop

Cylinder head was lightly ported with 3 angle valve seats. Valves were polished and lapped in. Exhaust & inlet manifold was ported to match the head. All internals were balanced to +-1g.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #872887
27/07/2009 17:17
27/07/2009 17:17

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 2 – Parts

These are the parts that I brought/made/refurbished for the rebuild.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #872891
27/07/2009 17:35
27/07/2009 17:35

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 2 – Rebuild

I then rebuilt the engine along with an “expert” to the following setup.

Spec:
Garrett GT28RSR Hybrid
Re-profiled Camshafts
Fully Balanced
CP Forged Pistons
Total Seal Rings
OE Rods
Induction Kit
Headwork
Walkers GTA Combo Clutch
384cc Injectors
DTA P8 PRO ECU
Custom FMIC
H&S Downpipe
OMP Strut Brace
Powerflow 2.25" Exhaust System with de-cat
SIP
Water Injection System
Walbro 255 Fuel pump

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #873292
28/07/2009 11:59
28/07/2009 11:59

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 3 – Engine Out & Stripdown (Again)

So what happened??!!!?? Well the first engine never actually run properly due to two major fccukups. Firstly the DTA P8 PRO ECU could not run my engine with the standard crankwheel. It took a long chain of letters and the threatening of a CCJ before they reimbursed me.

Secondly the “expert” who I built my engine with didn’t check the piston to bore clearance so I ended up with an 82.4mm bore and 82mm pistons (hardly an "experts" error). I only found this out after I fitted back the OE ECU back and the car run with loads of piston slap and oil continuously burning. grr Nice way to trash a brand new set of pistons.

One year later I decided if you wanna do it right do it yourself. I grabbed a very good mate of mine and we gave it a proper go.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #873318
28/07/2009 12:41
28/07/2009 12:41

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 3 – 2nd Rebuild

I then rebuilt the engine along with my mate to the following setup.

Spec:
Garrett GT28RSR Hybrid
OE Camshafts
Fully Balanced
Accralite Forged Pistons 9:1 CR
Pauter Rods
Ram Air Filter
Thermal Gaskets
Headwork
Helix 6 Point Paddle Clutch
384cc Injectors @ 3.8Bar
OE ECU
Custom FMIC
H&S Downpipe
Powerflow 2.25" Exhaust System with de-cat
SIP
Water Injection System
Walbro 255 Fuel pump

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #874086
29/07/2009 22:11
29/07/2009 22:11

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Stage 3 – Mapping

With the engine run-in it was ready for dyno testing. The first run was seriously underpowered due to the 2.25” exhaust system causing a restriction and increasing the back pressure. 276BHP/279FTLB @1.5Bar
click to enlarge

I had the exhaust changed to a full 3” system. These results were much better however the turbo had reached its peak output 318BHP/335FTLB @ 1.7Bar
click to enlarge

I changed the turbo for a bigger model and fitted a front mounted oil cooler.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

The problem here was the injectors could not supply enough fuel and started to run lean above 5500rpm however it still made 346BHP/339FTLB @ 1.6Bar
click to enlarge

The fourth and final run made the power it should have as I changed the injectors for bigger ones. I also changed the ECU to a standalone OMEX 710.
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

It made 376BHP/350FTLB @ 1.56Bar

For info on this dyno run please visit this thread:
http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=860325#Post860325

First ever Santa pod run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA3aOYyyqTM

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #874095
29/07/2009 22:31
29/07/2009 22:31

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Brake Upgrade

Time for an upgrade on the 320mm brakes as the discs had rotted away over the years. I now run 325mm.

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #896614
09/09/2009 16:40
09/09/2009 16:40

T
TurboJ
Unregistered
TurboJ
Unregistered
T

Wheels & Suspension

Time for a wheel change. No off the shelf 16" will clear my brakes so I had to get custom Compmotive motorsport wheels made. With these wheels I am now able to run 225/45/16 instead of 195/40/17 this will give me more traction and the ability to lower my car 30mm without arch issues. These wheels weigh just under 8KG each shocked

Also gone for Koni sports as 90% of my driving is on the road

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #1325895
17/03/2012 16:57
17/03/2012 16:57

R
Ridderz
Unregistered
Ridderz
Unregistered
R

Crazy question but, would you sell me the turbo? laugh

Re: Bravo 20VT Project 400BHP+ [Re: ] #1325998
17/03/2012 23:17