» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (paul, Edinburgh, 1 invisible), 100 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,610
Posts1,341,237
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,563
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Setting duty/boost apexi avcr #929125
04/11/2009 09:41
04/11/2009 09:41
France
pasto Offline OP
pasto  Offline OP

France
Hello everybody

Sorry for my school English. cry

I look for information on basic regulations of an apexi avcr.

I shall want to know what are the values duty to obtain a correct boost with Gtec1.

Thanks to all

20vt
Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: pasto] #929278
04/11/2009 13:55
04/11/2009 13:55

F
feeblebob
Unregistered
feeblebob
Unregistered
F

Ah, hah, at last I can comment on EBCs! I had the same sort of query and got the following reply from Leighton at FC Performance. Here was the question along with some other info I'd found...

Hi Leighton,

I got my car back from Joe yesterday and require a bit of info about setting up the Apexi, I would have brought it straight down to you but my clutch is not good so that's needing doing before I book it in. I'm basically looking for a fairly standard setting limiting the car to around 1.1 bar, until you've mapped it and set the Apexi up properly. I have found the below on a thread :

I’ve copied it below, because you have to register for the forum it’s on to access it. Depending wht car it is, the ‘Car Select’ section might change. i.e. coupe is 5, 16, arrow up. I cant remember what these refer to (No of cyliners, and something else?) but I’d think you can get that info from the manual.

Setting up an apexi avcr boost controller.

I get a lot of people asking how to set up the apexi avcr boost controller, some even think it is quite difficult to set up and in extreme cases, some may think it is not as good as other out there on the market. I personally think it is a great piece of kit. Although it has been around for some years now, it has not really undergone any major changes apart from a different colour scheme recently.

Here is goes, this is from memory so bear with me.

First you will go to

ETC

Car Select- Cylinder, Vehicle Speed Pulse, Throttle Type setting
Set these to 4 4 arrow up don’t ask why just do it It is the same for an evo or a scoop the same.

Sensor Sel - Pressure Sensor Type setting
Use 1

Gear Judge - Gear Judge setting
In order for the AVCR to determine gearing, the Gear Judge feature must be set.
Choose the gear you want to set, on the right side you'll see the ratio (RPM/Speed) which the AVCR uses to determine which gear its in.
- Choose which gear you want to see using the Up/Down keys. Press the Next key to choose that gear
- Drive the car in that gear at a moderate speed 3000revs is more than enough for each gear. Press Next to set that gear
- Press the Left key to return to gear selection and repeat for the other gears in your car speed.

Grph Scale - Graph Scale setting
Bs: Boost range.
Ne: Maximum RPM of your car
Sp: Maximum speed of your car

Sensor chk - Input Signal check display

VFD Bright - Display Brightness

Initialise - Initialise all data to default, don’t press this one unless you really want to wipe everything you have ever done. !!!!!!!!!!

setting up the boost

now this part is done, the avcr is set up correctly, it will be able to determine which gear it is in and have boost in closed loop mode ( feedback.)
Now the important bit of setting up the boost you desire to run. You need to take a methodical approach to this so we are not throwing some numbers and hoping for the best. I am not saying that this approach does not work, but it can be rather inconsistence.

This is the menus that you have

Boost/Duty - Setting Boost and Duty cycle levels
Scramble - Scramble Boost Setting not really used
NE-Point - Engine RPM Specific Boost Control . NE Points are used to specify the RPM points at which boost and duty cycle can be adjusted in Boost/Duty above. 8 NE points are available in the range of 1500rpm - 9500rpm in increments of 500rpm
make sure you can control boost all the way to 8000revs
F/B Speed - Feedback Speed Setting
Learn Gear - Gear Based Learning
Start Duty - Initial solenoid valve duty cycle for boost control in gear based correction

First thing to do is to switch off

Learn gear
F/B SPEED

This will mean you are not running closed loop mode ie the controller is not going to try to adjust things for you. You are on your own!! But that is a good thing

You want to make it easy for the controller by actually putting the right figures in there in the first place.

Now with duty cycle alone use 4th gear to set the duty cycle to give you which ever boost you want. So lets say you managed to get 1.5bar at 60% duty in 4th gear and the boost is nice and stable. At this point you don’t want to programme a lot of boost spikes or anything of that sort you just want the right duty cycle to give you the correct boost in 4th. You may find that you will need to adjust the boost with rpm you will need to add more duty at higher rpm depending on what actuator you are running. With the standard actuator you may get a duty cycle of 60% till 5000revs but going up to 80% at 7000revs to keep the desired boost held.

Doing it this way you know have got the right duty cycle in 4th gear which means you avcr will need to do very little work to achieve you desired boost.

Next step will be to turn the f/b speed on, you want to figure out how much F/B SPEED you can add. You want the highest number that will not cause fluctuations. The rule of thump is you will need more f/bspeed in the lower gear than the higher gears. So if you use 2 in 4th use 1 more in 3rd and 2 more in 2nd and so on.

Test the car in all gears and make sure that you are getting a stable boost in all gears. If the boost fluctuate in any gear just drop the f/b speed by 1 till it is stable. You may find that you are not going to hit the same boost in all gears. You will get less boost in lower gears than higher gears. This is where the start duty comes into play

If you are experiencing less boost lets say in 1st gear than 4th then add 5-10% in first gear till you get near your target, do the same thing with 2nd and 3rd you will find that you will probably need less % the higher the gear to get the same boost. You may even use a negative 1-2% to maintain this same boost in 5th gear. something like 15-10-5-0-(-2) is probably correct for a 5 speed box running standard actuator

So now in theory you should have solid boost in all gears, what you now need to do is switch the learn gear in 4th and 5th on. Don’t bother with the lower gears as you go through them so quick if the avcr adjust the duty in let say 2 gear the duty will be too high for 5th .

The only reason you are switching the learn gear on is to keep the boost stable in the higher gears in different conditions.

this is how i would do it, different people will do this differently but i guarntee if you follow this method you will get consistant results.

Could you comment on this, will this give a fairly vanilla setup to work with for the time being? And the setting of 5, 16 and arrow up, is that correct also for the 20vt?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as soon as the gearbox and clutch is done, I'll be booking it in with yourself but I hope you don't think I'm being cheeky asking for a hand now.

Regards,

Hamish

Last edited by feeblebob; 04/11/2009 13:57.
Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: ] #929281
04/11/2009 13:58
04/11/2009 13:58

F
feeblebob
Unregistered
feeblebob
Unregistered
F

And Leighton's reply :

Hi Hamish,

The 5, 16 and arrow is correct. If you leave it on learn mode (closed loop) it will effectively find the desired boost profile you enter i.e. 1.2bar, so that may be easiest. The duty % controls the boost simply adjust this to where it is reaching 1.2bar and then a couple of full throttle runs from 2000-6500rpm should have the process learnt.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying, it won't be far out and when you bring it down I can fine tune it no problem.

Regards,

Leighton

Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: ] #929284
04/11/2009 14:00
04/11/2009 14:00

F
feeblebob
Unregistered
feeblebob
Unregistered
F

So it's down to the car itself, the duty, give it a hoss and see how it is and take itfrom there, might need increased or decreased depending on what you find, but it is in the manual.

Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: ] #929316
04/11/2009 14:43
04/11/2009 14:43
France
pasto Offline OP
pasto  Offline OP

France
OK thanks a lot

20vt
Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: pasto] #929335
04/11/2009 15:01
04/11/2009 15:01

F
feeblebob
Unregistered
feeblebob
Unregistered
F

I'm guessing somebody with more knowledge will pop by in a bit but that's what I've picked up. It depends how the actual matches target boost, you set the duty from that.

Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: ] #929387
04/11/2009 15:52
04/11/2009 15:52
France
pasto Offline OP
pasto  Offline OP

France
If I understand: I bring in a value of boost and I adjust the duty until I find the same value of boost.?

20vt
Re: Setting duty/boost apexi avcr [Re: pasto] #929851
05/11/2009 12:29
05/11/2009 12:29

F
feeblebob
Unregistered
feeblebob
Unregistered
F

I believe that's it, yep.

From the manual (P22) : http://www.fd3s.net/avc-r_manual.pdf

'When max boost of actual driving is higher than target boost, adjust the duty lower', (and vice versa....)

I think the long bit that I posted first, does this in a bit more detail and includes the in-gear setting. I'm leaving this bit to Flea I think, doubtless possible to get your head around but it'll get tuned at the same time as the map...