» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (F1GHT3R, Jamiepm, Jamjam12, 1 invisible), 173 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,430
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,520
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,294
PeteP 21,480
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,660
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lowla: The Worst Caddy on Earth! #969242
19/01/2010 15:20
19/01/2010 15:20

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

As a few of you might remember – I do own a Coupé and I did used to contribute quite a lot to the forum – however whilst on my quest for 4x4, I took the (probably bad) decision to take the Coupé of the road until such time that I might find a suitable donor, and rebuilt the whole thing in one go.

That was 2 years ago – since then I have found a suitable donor for the Coupé but in the mean while I obviously couldn’t do without something to have some fun with so I bought a 1989 (F)Volkswagen Caddy to charge about in (and generally abuse) as I had always fancied one.

The day I bought it…

click to enlarge

A few days later

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Two years ago the plan when I bought it was simple.
- fix the shagged fuel pump (It smoked like a bad boy)
- make some new door cards as one was missing
- stopping the dash from rattling (AAArgh!)
- sticking in some form of stereo rolleyes

However…..

Since then things have become a little more involved and now a more or less total rebuild/modification has taken place, and I will document the progress to date here – oh and after nearly £4000 and countless hours over the last 2 years…. Its still not done!

Bewarned though – some of the things you’ll see are not pretty! laugh

Comments and discussion welcomed here – whether good or bad. I’m sure it won’t be to every ones taste so be honest!

Final comment - This will be pic heavy - I get a little snap happy sometimes tongue

Last edited by 13ad13oy; 22/09/2010 11:47.
Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #969254
19/01/2010 15:46
19/01/2010 15:46

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

One of the first things to fix on the to do list was the pump.

Part 1.
I had a quote of £180 to have my pump rebuilt, so I went down the road and collected another 1.6 NA engine and soon had my engine out…

click to enlarge

Though typically, as I had just finished installing the “new” engine and tried to crank it, I noticed that some how diesel was dribbling all over the garage floor, just to find that on the way home I had cleverly smashed the pump on the new engine….

Back out with the new and in with the old rolleyes

Part 2.
So… then I came across a cheap 2nd hand pump from a 1.6D. I bought it, modified the governor

click to enlarge

Intermediate spring shimmed out! :music:

click to enlarge

So when the new pump is installed, that'll hopefully be a little more power

But then….

Part 3.
A local lad was selling a 1994 Vento with a 1.9 TD engine. Sod messing about with crummy old NA diesel (incidentally the SLOWEST thing on earth) so £125 later…

My old man kindly towed me (for an hour and a half) back to the fort - which wasn’t really fun, the rope snapped 3 times, and the brakes on the Vento were more or less on fire by the time I got back!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

MMM 1.9TD! :music:
click to enlarge

I got ripped intro the Vento,

click to enlarge

Teeny Turbo - a bit smaller than the GT28R on the Coup 8D

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Engine Out!

click to enlarge

Rear of the gubbins

click to enlarge

Took the 1.6D mount and modified it

Before:
click to enlarge

After:
click to enlarge

Attached:
click to enlarge

Modified (badly) cover:
click to enlarge

Out with the Ventonator and In with the Caddage

click to enlarge

But typically it rolled off the ramps…

click to enlarge

and into the wall….

click to enlarge

….******. (bang) :bh

And just to make things worse.... when I drove back in in a temper - I forgot I had have disconnected the gearbox putting a nice hole on it from the driveshaft washer thingys cry (L) So for the time being its back onto the four speed....

click to enlarge

Out with the nasty 1.6D

click to enlarge

Get friend help with reattaching new 1.9TD

click to enlarge

106 GTI induction kit I had liying around came in handy…

click to enlarge

And I used the fuel filter and bracket turned upside down from the Vento -

click to enlarge

straightened and repositioned the fuel lines with a hot air gun… and made a nice wee bracket to hold the filter and stop it rubbing against the lines… :0

click to enlarge

Down pipe modification/Bodge/ Fix until I could afford a proper job :screwy:

As Vento:
click to enlarge

Chop:
click to enlarge

Weld:
click to enlarge

Couple of Zorst bodge shots.... laugh hehe (it's drooped a bit)

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Broom Broom! Finito!

click to enlarge

And the verdict….? What a fantastic result! the car was so much better to drive! And actually feels pretty quick now with the added torque! In addition the fuel economy is miles better and the turbo sound is ace! The best mod I think I have ever done to a car!!!!

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #969282
19/01/2010 16:29
19/01/2010 16:29

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

The second thing on the TO DO list was to sort out the door cards –

Original passenger door card had a nasty accident with a jigsaw after a speaker fitting attempt (not me) as did the door. Also think the caddy had been used as a kennel for a while due the huge quantity of dog hair living in the door! crazy

click to enlarge

Nice hole

click to enlarge

Righly or wrongly I dug the soil out of the bottom of the door and squirted the inside with a pressure washer, before rubbing off the blue paint with acetone - Think I'd like to go back to white....

*Note this as the first colour descision

click to enlarge

Thats a bit better

click to enlarge

Routed about in the garage to find these old speaker pods that I installed in a 106 a few years ago. as you can see they are a bit big for the caddy's door,

click to enlarge

So I cut them about a bit,

click to enlarge

Trial in caddy

click to enlarge

They took a bit of re-fibre-glassing to make ‘em sweet, and of course I'll need to 'lecy windows now

After Cutting, shutting and re-trimming…

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Bust out the Singer….the original future of the door card…

click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #969706
20/01/2010 10:28
20/01/2010 10:28

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Gets a bit scary now!

One night I took a bit of a cruise one night and it started to properly rain. Interestingly the electrics started to go a bit weird and a quite large puddle started to appear in the footwell, turns out that the little bit of bubbling on the A-Piller was leaking, with a small ocean dribbling through the fuse box…

Jab the bubbles with a screwdriver, and out comes the filler punch

click to enlarge

Which made me think perhaps I should investigate under the chequer plate floor to see what other nasty things may be lurking – these wee truck are renowned for a load bed cave in

I plucked up the corage to lift the tread plate… actually pleasantly surprised

click to enlarge

A few wee rough bits but that’s expected

click to enlarge

So it was time to decide whether to scrap the wee hog or press on and fix it up.

I decided that my mission would be simple – If I couldn’t do it DIY then I wouldn’t do it. Time to bust out the SORN decleration!

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #970010
20/01/2010 17:37
20/01/2010 17:37

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Starting to Strip
I pulled out the windscreen,dash and poked at the hole in the pillar with a screwdriver, before reverting to the grinder…

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

eeek!

So then poked around the screen some more.. and sanded the b-pillar with a handy wee flap disc to reveal more filler cry cry

... and then Fatty came round too...!

click to enlarge

start filling holes rather than making... (this was the first time I’d properly welded in about 6 years so don’t laugh!) I poured a load of rust eater into the pillar and slowly started patching but as always complications… a tip sheared in the welder... Doh

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

and ran out of time/paint/wet and dry so had to put all back together, thinking it would be funny to crack the screen.... and drove it for the final time before it was SORN’ed

click to enlarge

In the remaining couple of weeks before it was SORN’d I did do a couple of small bits:

Sent my locks/key to Crazy Quiff's to get them matched....

click to enlarge

Created a new rear window from a bit of 5mm boat perspex smile & Bought a new windscreen & seal rolleyes

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #994470
04/03/2010 10:59
04/03/2010 10:59

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Started to get a bit more serious with rebuilding (or unbuilding as the case may be)

Started of by pulling some bits off – lights, Interior, rear glass etc

For the first time I plucked up the courage to lift the tread plate… actually pleasantly surprised

Got out the old trusty air hammer and battered off the sound deadening to look for any hidden holes - pleasantly surprised again

Started on the rear screen surround

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

removed the diesel tank which had a lot more diesel in than I realised causing a massive puddle on the floor and put me of welding for a while (plus the smell of diesel makes me feel sick after a siphoning mishap)

Somebody's nice wheel arch liner securing device
click to enlarge

Back out with the AAZ...
click to enlarge

Out with the suspension…

Trailer full of steel – to help solve some problems laugh

Axle pulled off

Flipped (that’s how you lower on antiquated leaf springs)
click to enlarge

I made a electrolysis tank to bust the rust on the Caddy, so used the new flippedness as a test. I made it by taking this big drum that I got from flEbay(that was used to transport olives), attached up the wires and axel parts and left to “brew”

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Some work started on the shell....
Rust chopped & Blasted

But then my friend came round so stopped that and used his muscles...

Rank rust - have lots of busting to do....

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1020250
15/04/2010 09:38
15/04/2010 09:38

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Got this girl set up....Bit of blasting & de rusting

And finished de assembling all the mechanical bits so can clean up and paint... bushes didn’t want to come so met the blow torch

I had to break the ice in my electrolysis tank before I could put anything in lol! The parts were sandblasted including “New” ‘big’ brakes – from Cavalier SRI

Those who are scared easily, look away now….

Made a start on the passenger side sill, which I wasn’t really looking forward to doing

Eeek suicide punch

click to enlarge

Template & remake

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Did a bit more on the bottom like welding the holes shut

Look how many layers of paint to get through cry, And striped back the rear behind the door.... look at the depth of that filler!

Next task after sill is to start on the rear arch. Not gonny be nice… Purge that mofo with fire

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1085860
13/08/2010 11:44
13/08/2010 11:44

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Time for some more?

New/Newer Bits!
My £32 box fresh "chrome" grill - didn't think I'd end up going down the chrome route.... but this was an unmissable bargain....New poly bushes, Led plate lights, top mounts and new suspension mounts from VW, Another box - Cordoba rear Discs smile

Work on the rear

Had a poke at the front inner arch cry

And cleaned up (blasted) the rest of the arch before spraying with epoxy mastic

I pulled off the underseal from the bottom of the bed and sand blasted it, dont have a pic of it blasted but here's all the rank rust hiding under the underseal cry

click to enlarge

Bit of mechanical stuff too...
Modded the 10" Servo from a '94 Vento (caddy is 7" and crap) so it will fit.... whenever that day may come....Also painted some bits and bobs

Manufactued a new rear lower panel and a repair patch for behind the cab... out of 3mm steel..... that took some beating lol lo()

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1087157
16/08/2010 13:58
16/08/2010 13:58

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Had some fccuk-ing nice visitors giving me encouragement over the weekend - So thanks for that! wave

Some more new parts.... 14x8" RSL Cults

click to enlarge

I thought it was about time I made sure the arches would stretch over the 8", So I set about fitting them - and converting the rear to disc

After several weeks of the local engineer putting off modifying my axle, I gave up - Drilling some holes was too hard for him! DIY was the project ethos – long may it continue. When axle flipping on the caddy, the axle can position of centre. So I drilled the new stub axels to re centralise the axle too - naturally some new bearings and discs too

Rebuilt all the rear suspension with new poly bushes, VW mounts, epoxy mastic 1.5" Lowering blocks smile

What do you think?

Up the front... New Discs (256mm for cavalier SRI calipers), struts, rebuilt hubs, new bearings, Poly bushes, all new bolts nuts & washers and some knuckle skin...

click to enlarge

And the rims clear the Cavalier SRi calipers its seems smile :music:

Back on with the body work now it's temporarily off it's rear stand - Will go back on shortly to seal underneath finally. Plenty more blasting to do....

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1087158
16/08/2010 14:03
16/08/2010 14:03

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

As this project needs to be a bit rude... I tried on new exhaust

click to enlarge

What about uppy and outty? lol Cyclist and Ecowarrior wrecker tongue

Continued with the Bulkhead repair but had to wait for the paint to dry so didn't get a chance to finish off

I’m a bit of a sucket for the shaved bay look so I made a bit of a start on bay detailing.....

To start: minky

click to enlarge

After a bit of delete-ion,
click to enlarge

Bay shaving is TIRESOME

Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1087162
16/08/2010 14:08
16/08/2010 14:08

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Welded up all the left over bed holes
click to enlarge

And started to plan drilling some more holes for tieing stuff down. I created some threaded plates which the eyebolts can screw into

Had a nice fire, despite it being the ONLY trim left in the truck and I was welding no where near! banghead

click to enlarge

Rear bulkhead is almost done! - Do you like the ratlook interior?

click to enlarge

Mr. Hammer****e was introduced to Mr Nitromors

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

Continuing the Rude-ness I dismantled my headlights... and crosshaired them

Removed all the remaining interior poop and finished welding up the holes, made some new mounts for the low back buckets, need to blast & pain that too now

Modified the MK1 wiper to MK3 spec - the old Vento comes in handy... again smile (you can see that there is now a redundent bracket which will help with the bay shave)
click to enlarge

Last edited by 13ad13oy; 17/08/2010 12:12.
Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1087661
17/08/2010 11:59
17/08/2010 11:59

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Some shots of the bench seat conversion – Inspiration taken from the Yank Rod scene - This'll be the 4th seat variation - and hopefully final!

*Sorry Mr Vento*

Drilled 9000 spot welds and Welded small bar to keep supports at the right spacing

Test, trim, test, trim etc before attaching

Arm rest for cruising, holding me in and parking my MacDonalds on laugh , Tilt for storage and lift for storage

Got the secret hand brake 1/2 sorted out too, just need to finish the manufacture and add it in smile

Of course it looks minging, but I will re-trim it at some stage - just wanted to make it fit first!

Last edited by 13ad13oy; 17/08/2010 12:00.
Re: Lowla: 13ad13oy's Trucking Project [Re: ] #1087665
17/08/2010 12:09
17/08/2010 12:09

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Back on to rust remediation

First of, rolled the truck back on its side so I can operate on the drivers side sill etc, Pretty rotten, much like the passenger side

Rot box….

Of course a rude project wouldn’t be rude without scraping the sump at the front. Going low = driveshaft meeting chassis leg so moved onto a chassis notch

Then to complex things up a bit, I don’t an ugly battery in my shaved bay and who wants a battery taking up valuable room in the cab? Not me…

Mock up

Used 2.5mm thick steel (maybe 3) – was bloody awkward to shape!

Need to snake a bit – Yeah I know the factory hanger is still there laugh

click to enlarge

Then it was the densil tanks turn to get some love! Blasted & pitted (& leaking cry ) So busted out some lead and had a back at lead loading – was trickier than it looks!

Then another mammoth blasting session. Followed by epoxy mastic smile (NB: always hoover 5 times if you don’t want textured finish after sand blasting

Re: Lowla: The Worst Caddy on Earth! [Re: ] #1241794
26/07/2011 12:16
26/07/2011 12:16

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Well its been a while since I last checked out the forum, seems to be lots going on!

Bit silly starting a build thread without continuing it – So here’s a bit of an update.

Caddy has been a bit forgotten about as I got distracted with another wee project…
click to enlarge

So it was like this…..
click to enlarge

but then....

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
Doors

laugh
click to enlarge

Bay... you all know the process (bang) :bh

click to enlarge
click to enlarge

freshly shaved bay... ooh add a dent!
click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Any opinions welcome – good or bad.