Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (kjpe, barchetta_ms), 184 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,717
Posts1,170,053
Members1,658
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,891
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1067837
11/07/2010 09:10
11/07/2010 09:10
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
I haven't used linuxice, but on ubuntu 10.04 this works:

Originally Posted by linux

cd ~/.wine/dosservices
sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 com1


and that looks like

Originally Posted by linux

barnacle@aethelbert:~/.wine/dosdevices$ ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 barnacle barnacle 4096 2010-04-17 19:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 barnacle barnacle 4096 2010-07-10 21:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 barnacle barnacle 10 2010-03-22 17:27 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2010-04-17 19:01 com1 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 barnacle barnacle 13 2010-04-01 08:29 d: -> /media/MAXELL
lrwxrwxrwx 1 barnacle barnacle 9 2010-03-22 21:26 d:: -> /dev/sdb1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 barnacle barnacle 8 2010-03-29 15:30 e:: -> /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 barnacle barnacle 1 2010-03-22 17:27 z: -> /
barnacle@aethelbert:~/.wine/dosdevices$


and then it just works. It defaults to com1 so you don't need to specify the port.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1075305
24/07/2010 10:59
24/07/2010 10:59

M
McFall
Unregistered
McFall
Unregistered
M



Hi
Terrific job making Star Trek for 20v/vt Barnacle. smile
Have a few questions about the values shown.
1) what should Throttle degrees be at WOT ?
Mine shows about 91 degrees I would have expected 100. (have checked that throttle cant open more when speeder is fully pressed.
2) What is max allowed air temp. before ECU want to lower turbo boost ?
3) Is the actual Knock sensor data available in the data array your program grab from the ECU ?
(seems like you only use position 0->8 + 16->21)

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1075809
25/07/2010 16:19
25/07/2010 16:19
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
1) Throttle is a bit variable; it uses a differential from the start to work out where it is, so that's fine.
2) Not a clue.
3) No. You can't see the data directly on the 20 ECU, just the error relating to it if present. The sampling would be way too slow to get anything useful - though I suspect the design detects the envelope of the knock in hardware and compares timing to calculate the cylinder to pull back. You can't sample audio frequencies at one Hz.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1076345
26/07/2010 18:23
26/07/2010 18:23

W
Wolfman
Unregistered
Wolfman
Unregistered
W



Hiya, I just got my leads to test this out but I'm having problems. Its connecting to the ECU but failing to read the values.

Do I need to connect the red/black crocodile clips to something? The battery? Because they are too short to connect to the battery. Do I need to extend them?

Cheers,

-wolfman

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1076358
26/07/2010 19:06
26/07/2010 19:06

G
Gamu
Unregistered
Gamu
Unregistered
G



Red lead needs to go on the positive battery terminal, black doesn't need to be connected. My leads didn't need extending but they are not all the same so I guess yours might.

Gareth

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1076514
26/07/2010 23:45
26/07/2010 23:45
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 649
Kingston-upon-Hull
I
ioksotot Offline
Enjoying the ride
ioksotot  Offline
Enjoying the ride
I

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 649
Kingston-upon-Hull
Managed to get Startrek working properly today, great peice of kit!

click to enlarge

Unfortunately I don't understand some of it. From what I can tell my readings are all within certain peramiters (only green and yellow indicators... no red), but what worried me were the yellow bits at the bottom about the crank and cam sensors, do the numbers next to these indicate the number of times the car has been started since the error?

I've not had any problems with my coop... starting-wise, does this mean that either (or both) of these sensors are on their way out? (Gulp!).

Cheers
Steve

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ioksotot] #1076582
27/07/2010 09:01
27/07/2010 09:01
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
That's the internal error count. It starts at 64 when the error occurs, and is incremented every time the error recurs (every six minutes if it's a continuing error). It's also decremented every time the engine is started and the fault is not present - so yours occurred 8 and 30 starts ago.

You need to be careful with cam and crank sensor errors; it notes the absence of one by getting pulses from the other when it doesn't expect them - i.e. the sequence gets out of order - and so it can sometimes get a bit confused about which is actually faulty.

In this case, I'd check again in a few days and make sure the numbers are getting smaller...

Last edited by barnacle; 27/07/2010 09:01. Reason: Or you can clear the fault and see if it comes back; same effect.

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1076591
27/07/2010 09:09
27/07/2010 09:09

G
Gamu
Unregistered
Gamu
Unregistered
G



Neil so if I understand the above, if you have an error that was recorded 5 times in a row the software will report the error in red and the number 69 next to it. Then if the ECU has two successful readings with no error it will report the error in yellow with the number 67 after it?

Gareth

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1076593
27/07/2010 09:12
27/07/2010 09:12
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 649
Kingston-upon-Hull
I
ioksotot Offline
Enjoying the ride
ioksotot  Offline
Enjoying the ride
I

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 649
Kingston-upon-Hull
Thanks barnacle, I'll check again at the weekend and see if the numbers are lower smile

With regards your edit there, can you erase errors with the Startrek software, or do I need to get the car to a specialist to do this?

Much appreciated thumb
Steve

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ioksotot] #1076605
27/07/2010 09:27
27/07/2010 09:27

G
Gamu
Unregistered
Gamu
Unregistered
G



I think you can press the D key to clear the errors, or you could just keep and eye on the numbers and make sure they are going down each time you check it.

Gareth

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1076617
27/07/2010 10:01
27/07/2010 10:01
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
Steve - Looks like I've linked on the page to an earlier version. It *should* say 'hit D to delete errors' but doesn't... however, hitting D should clear the errors on the version you have. Note that you may not see a change for up to twenty seconds.

I'll sort out the link when I get a moment.

Gareth - the documents are not clear. I believe that the error count is set to 63 once the fault clears and then decrements with each successive starts. Faults appear red if the count is 64 or greater - i.e. current - or yellow if they're old, for information.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1076626
27/07/2010 10:16
27/07/2010 10:16

G
Gamu
Unregistered
Gamu
Unregistered
G



Thanks Neil, that makes sense, otherwise it would be hard to differentiate between a fault that had occurred a number of times but was now not occurring, and one that was still occurring.

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1080986
04/08/2010 19:02
04/08/2010 19:02
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Paris, France
crazyf1 Offline
On a journey
crazyf1  Offline
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Paris, France
Thanks for this software Neil wink
I was wondering if you are losing the communication with the ECU while driving.
For me, it happens sometimes. I was using the driver from the chinese CD. I update them with the lastest driver but I did not try again.
Is it using a lot PC processor?


Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: crazyf1] #1081027
04/08/2010 20:22
04/08/2010 20:22
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
It's not using much processor power, but the timing is critical to the ECU and unfortunately by the time windows has been through its multiple access layers to the USB port, it can't always maintain it.

I didn't include a restart on the software since the ECU will not connect if the revs are above 2000 (i.e. most of the time if you're driving!) - I have no idea why Bosch designed it that way, but sadly we're stuck with it.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1081642
05/08/2010 18:48
05/08/2010 18:48
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Paris, France
crazyf1 Offline
On a journey
crazyf1  Offline
On a journey

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Paris, France
OK, so it is normal Thanks wink


Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: crazyf1] #1082319
06/08/2010 20:14
06/08/2010 20:14

S
sterrick
Unregistered
sterrick
Unregistered
S



hi folks, just a quickie regarding engine and startrek reading.

yesterday on my way to work, i was cruising at 60 mph and all of a sudden there was a really quick kill in engine power (no more than 1 second), it felt like a misfire but more noticable, id say "similar" to quickly switching the ignition on and off.
its only happend twice at random in the past 2 days.

has it anything to do with tonights STARTREK report (17) lambda interegator FR lower limit ???????

click to enlarge

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1082364
06/08/2010 23:23
06/08/2010 23:23
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
Nah. That's an old report; it's probably a month since that happened, from the count.

I'd be looking for electrical faults from your description.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1087494
17/08/2010 06:50
17/08/2010 06:50

M
McFall
Unregistered
McFall
Unregistered
M



With WOT Mass Airflow shows 408 m3/h from around 2700rpm to max rpm, is this a max value that can be shown or can it be different from car to car (20vt car)?

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1087497
17/08/2010 07:21
17/08/2010 07:21
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
That's the maximum the sensor can read, plus or minus one or two. On WOT the ECU is running the map based on revs, I think; the flow is assumed. It's certainly in open loop at that point.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1087630
17/08/2010 11:47
17/08/2010 11:47

H
hapaman
Unregistered
hapaman
Unregistered
H



The Airmass meter from the 20VT is a HFM2-6.4 Type. So it should measure up to 640 kg/h.
But don't know how this is related to the output from startrek smile

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1087675
17/08/2010 13:30
17/08/2010 13:30
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
The ECU delivers cubic metres per hour. Mass of air at sea level is around 1.3kg/m^3. 408*1.3 = 530kg/m. Curious.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1087850
17/08/2010 19:56
17/08/2010 19:56
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,705
Harpenden
S
sugerbear Offline
Je suis un Coupé
sugerbear  Offline
Je suis un Coupé
S

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,705
Harpenden
Does the Startrek software work on vista ?

I assume that XP and Windows 7 are known to work ok.


How to make a startrek widget cable >> http://tinyurl.com/dyje6fy
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: sugerbear] #1087865
17/08/2010 20:51
17/08/2010 20:51
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
barnacle Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline OP
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 33,794
Berlin
I've not tested it personally, but there are reports upthread that it works on Vista.


[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1099103
09/09/2010 14:49
09/09/2010 14:49

P
PiZ
Unregistered
PiZ
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by barnacle
That's the maximum the sensor can read, plus or minus one or two. On WOT the ECU is running the map based on revs, I think; the flow is assumed. It's certainly in open loop at that point.


Hi everybody,

let me briefly introduce myself. I am a staff member of the Italian Club Fiat Coupé Passion. I think this forum is simply amazing and useful. I read it frequently and I had a great help from a member.
I have written a little software, very similar to barnacle's startrek, for the Passion Club members (you can see a couple of screenshots here, sorry but it is only in italian). I will soon release a version also for 16V, 16VT and 1.8-16V.

Coming back in topic, I have noticed this behaviour (for the MAF value) too.
It sounded me strange and so I have monitored the voltage of the MAF. The voltage signal keeps growing till max power rpm (I could see 4,75V).
So, it seems that only air volume flow information is ceiling there.

But there is another question: at max power, the engine should "eat" more than 640kg/h....I don't know how the ECU deals with this...any idea ?

PiZ

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Last edited by PiZ; 16/09/2010 07:30. Reason: Bugfix...again !
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1099106
09/09/2010 14:53
09/09/2010 14:53
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
stan Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
stan  Offline
Dr. Frankenstan
Forum Demigod

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 32,123
Cumbria
Piz: your links don't work because they require a username and password and our image pop system is designed to display direct links to the image only, sorry.

I did try fixing the issue but found out I needed to be registered on your forum to find the images frown


[Linked Image]
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: stan] #1099107
09/09/2010 14:54
09/09/2010 14:54

P
PiZ
Unregistered
PiZ
Unregistered
P



Originally Posted by stan
Piz: your links don't work because they require a username and password and our image pop system is designed to display direct links to the image only, sorry.

I did try fixing the issue but found out I needed to be registered on your forum to find the images frown


Sorry ! I'll try to fix that....

Ok, it should work now wink

Last edited by PiZ; 09/09/2010 14:58.
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: barnacle] #1099479
10/09/2010 09:20
10/09/2010 09:20

P
PiZ
Unregistered
PiZ
Unregistered
P



Stan....do you see the screenshots now ?
It should be a free hosting service.... confused

Last edited by PiZ; 10/09/2010 09:20.
Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1099499
10/09/2010 10:02
10/09/2010 10:02

T
The_Silver_Fox
Unregistered
The_Silver_Fox
Unregistered
T



Yes, we can see them now, thanks.

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1099590
10/09/2010 12:02
10/09/2010 12:02

H
hapaman
Unregistered
hapaman
Unregistered
H



I checked the data sheet and the characteristic curve (number 3 is the coupe one ) shows more than 640kg/h at 4.75V. But don't know how accurate this is.

HFM-2 Bosch

Re: Announcing: Star Trek for 20v/vt [Re: ] #1099600
10/09/2010 12:28
10/09/2010 12:28
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,644
Watford
MarioCirillo Offline
Ex El Presidente
MarioCirillo  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,644
Watford
Ciao PiZ

Software looks great thumb I will have to give it a try when its done! I would also be happy to publish a link to it on our club website - www.fiatcoupeclub.org - if you are interested send me a PM

Grazie,

Mario


Proud Owner of Rosso Speed LE041
Page 8 of 12 1 2 … 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.024s Queries: 15 (0.017s) Memory: 0.7494 MB (Peak: 0.9836 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-01 16:21:15 UTC