|
0 registered members (),
1,089
guests, and 2
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
Forums48
Topics103,723
Posts1,170,144
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
The magical 300, Supporting mods?
#1135513
25/11/2010 08:56
25/11/2010 08:56
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947 North wales
pinin_prestatyn
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
|
Rather than pester Flea constantly, as the guy's surely busy, I'll post here. My standard turbo is smoking badly after a flea-map and decat, so rather than replace with standard, I've bought a stage three hybrid, which (with the supporting mods) Can reach 310-320BHP (and probably more) Here's what I've got so far, and I'll list what I think I'll need, but if you think I've got it wrong please tell me. So far... Hybrid Turbo FMIC and pipe work SIP, Forge recirc with extra hoses needed + filter What I need (what I think I need) Fuel voltage Mod Uprated fuel pump? Uprated Fuel pressure regulator? I know a 3" downpipe and even full 3" from the turbo-back is preferable, but Clee (previously owned the turbo I have now) made 307BHP with standard downpipe and the cat in place so I'll be leaving it as it is (standard DP, Decat and 2.25" system) Which fuel pump will I need? I remember the Walbro 255LPH was mentioned a lot in the past, is this still the one to go for? Finally, is it normal to fit an uprated FPR or will the standard one be okay? which one will I need? Have I missed anything out? Don't mention a Flea map, that goes without saying  Thanks all!
 Coopless!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1135521
25/11/2010 09:45
25/11/2010 09:45
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921 Lightwater, Surrey
DaveG
Club Treasurer Member 311
|
Club Treasurer Member 311
Je suis un Coupé
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,921
Lightwater, Surrey
|
IIRC an uprated FPR is not essential at that sort of power level, but if you do a search you should find confirmation of that. You probably ought to get uprated spark plugs too if you don't have them already (BKUR7ET) and have you checked compression too? And what's your radiator like?
1996 Portofino 20vt & 2000 Pearl White Plus 2008 Ferrari F430 & 2017 Fiat 124 Spider
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: DaveG]
#1135525
25/11/2010 10:03
25/11/2010 10:03
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588 Essex
Rog20VT
I need some sleep
|
I need some sleep
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588
Essex
|
The fuel pump is not required. A voltage mod and remap should be all you need. Flea stocks the FPR's should you need one on the day. Your exhaust is fine, you'll see 300bhp no problems on a 62 trim turbo. Definitely take Daves advice and get it compression tested before though. 
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: Rog20VT]
#1135549
25/11/2010 10:40
25/11/2010 10:40
|
jonone
Unregistered
|
jonone
Unregistered
|
boost control? prv or ebc?
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1135680
25/11/2010 13:12
25/11/2010 13:12
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
Nazo
Unregistered
|
It feels like lights years away when I first dabbled in the mods, but do you have a budget in mind?
Running in high power may require updating other aspects such as
- better brakes and discs - better lighting, such as going to HIDs..Try driving faster on these winter roads at night..! - Uprated Clutch - Dump Valve - Manifold state? Maybe heat treated and skimmed?
These are just options to consider, after my own experience going from several hundred to several thousand.
In my opinion only, having more power is fab, having it reliably and on a stable platform is another matter.
;-)
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1135856
25/11/2010 17:46
25/11/2010 17:46
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
sounds like your way to go mate but the 62 trim will more likely give you near 350..even with standard d/p and exhaust.. of course it makes a little difference but not as much as most think.. especially with the smaller hybrids..itll be a nice fast quick spooling car ..if only i had stayed with that myself i wouldn't now be aproaching christmas with a farthing and a tangerine...when are you taking the plunge?
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1136565
26/11/2010 21:52
26/11/2010 21:52
|
Biggenz
Unregistered
|
Biggenz
Unregistered
|
Make yourself ready to spend a lot of money bud! When I got my coupe, it was doing around 290bhp with a t28 hybrid turbo and all supporting mods. I then had a gt28rs fitted along with a new exhaust and a magnatude of other work to make sure the car will be reliable(and a Flea map of course). Nearly £3k later, and it's now doing 343bhp.
It's worth every penny though!!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1136643
27/11/2010 01:50
27/11/2010 01:50
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947 North wales
pinin_prestatyn
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
|
Actually, I intend to reach 300 by spending as little as possible! Modding on a shoestring? you bet  NO corners will be cut, but I'm confident I can get there for under 1K  If I make it I'll do a post in tuning with a breakdown and how I saved money.
 Coopless!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1136655
27/11/2010 02:43
27/11/2010 02:43
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
know someone with a stage 3 for sale newly done and i have a turbo technics stage 3 second hand low miles unit
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: Freddan72]
#1136869
27/11/2010 19:14
27/11/2010 19:14
|
tomlough
Unregistered
|
tomlough
Unregistered
|
Will be interesting to see what flea can get. Gotta take mine again, turbo's smoking, good excuse to upgrade. Look forward to the trip down, added bonus no gf this time 
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1136896
27/11/2010 20:56
27/11/2010 20:56
|
suba
Unregistered
|
suba
Unregistered
|
sounds like your way to go mate but the 62 trim will more likely give you near 350..even with standard d/p and exhaust.. of course it makes a little difference but not as much as most think.. especially with the smaller hybrids..itll be a nice fast quick spooling car ..if only i had stayed with that myself i wouldn't now be aproaching christmas with a farthing and a tangerine...when are you taking the plunge? I disagree - 350 is the upper limit on that turbo, on a setup that is free flowing.
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1136902
27/11/2010 21:03
27/11/2010 21:03
|
suba
Unregistered
|
suba
Unregistered
|
pinin - if you are on a stock clutch (i think you are) then dont push the boost too much when mapping, it wont take the extra torque that that hybrid can dish out.
Getting the fuel in can be a bit of a lottery - some cars need a new pump, some dont - for 300bhp you should be OK. However to run closer to 350bhp you will need a pump that can flow more than the stock one. If you uprate the pump then do the voltage mod - it will draw more current than the stock pump... as Rog says if Flea is having trouble getting enough fuel in when mapping the car then its an easy job to change the FPR.
I would stick to the exhaust setup that you have, drop in the turbo and go for 1.1 / 1.2 bar - that should see you at 300bhp (fly) and should also be reliable enough.
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1136931
27/11/2010 22:53
27/11/2010 22:53
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
i meant i have them for sale in case anyone wants one..and walbro pump and helix paddle in case you need them..
Last edited by ktm450exc; 27/11/2010 22:57.
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1136936
27/11/2010 23:16
27/11/2010 23:16
|
suba
Unregistered
|
suba
Unregistered
|
You wont need a paddle clutch for 350bhp - but a stock one will die very quickly, and there is little point taking a car for mapping at that level and bringing along a clutch in case it slips...you wont be able to change it and carry on with mapping on the day.
As pinin has a newish clutch running 300-320 bhp through it should be fine - more is pushing it. I'm sure that flea can play around with the torque and how the turbo spools up to make it easier on the clutch as well.
Changing the fuel pump can be a bit of a pig as well - not like an PFR which takes five minutes.
If you are getting the car mapped then you want it to be spot on, and ready, otherwise you waste time and money.
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1136948
27/11/2010 23:30
27/11/2010 23:30
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
ktm450exc
Unregistered
|
i have a fair bit of 16vt stuff as well stage 3 t technics for that full 3" with 3"downpipe sports cat..and more spare engine loads standard stuff..full car runner spares ,repairs job and more tuning stuff...am unloading everything now in case you need anything yourself
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1137210
28/11/2010 20:09
28/11/2010 20:09
|
Biggenz
Unregistered
|
Biggenz
Unregistered
|
Actually, I intend to reach 300 by spending as little as possible! Modding on a shoestring? you bet  NO corners will be cut, but I'm confident I can get there for under 1K  If I make it I'll do a post in tuning with a breakdown and how I saved money. It would be interesting if you could get this done for under a grand. Taking into account what a new(or 2nd hand) turbo costs alone, and a day with Flea, your grand is already spent!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1137253
28/11/2010 21:10
28/11/2010 21:10
|
owl10
Unregistered
|
owl10
Unregistered
|
Thought about getting injectors cleaned ultrasonically? (buy a spare set, get them done, swap over with yours)
Proabably worth it for the cost, rather than finding out you've got a duff injector after tuning.....
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1137350
29/11/2010 04:56
29/11/2010 04:56
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
Pinin Im running 317 at 1.3 bar ONLY through a live map via Flea. My mods are...
Powerflow exhaust system with decat pipe and standard down pipe. Blitz Boost Controller Drilled Air box and panel filter Pro Alloy front mount 62 mil trim hybrid 3.8 Fpr - Flea will supply this but cheaper to buy prior...save yourself 40 quid Uprated fuel pump with wiring mod
You dont need a sip... You dont need to uprate the down pipe unless you want top end gain and if so you will be looking around the 340 - 350 bhp mark.
You wont get all this for a grand...looking more like 2 - 2.5k
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1137351
29/11/2010 04:59
29/11/2010 04:59
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
And to add if your on a grand budget go the "280" mark instead so pick up a second hand smaller trim hybrid, get a decent exhaust system then maybe you wont have to go the front mount route.
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1137504
29/11/2010 13:27
29/11/2010 13:27
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947 North wales
pinin_prestatyn
OP
Forum veteran
|
OP
Forum veteran
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,947
North wales
|
I've got 270BHP already so I think I'd just keep it that way rather than an extra 10BHP  I have a front mount too. Hybrid Turbo - £400 FMIC - £120 SIP - £40 I'm just over half-way through with my budget.
 Coopless!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1137606
29/11/2010 16:04
29/11/2010 16:04
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
Liquid
Unregistered
|
120 for a front mount!!! Where did you buy it...ALDI!? 
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: pinin_prestatyn]
#1137736
29/11/2010 18:22
29/11/2010 18:22
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Actually, I intend to reach 300 by spending as little as possible! Modding on a shoestring? you bet  NO corners will be cut, but I'm confident I can get there for under 1K  If I make it I'll do a post in tuning with a breakdown and how I saved money. Hats off here, I would do the same. Too many years spend Trackside means shoestring doesnt have to mean un reliable or not done properly...... Just a smaller budget!!
|
|
|
Re: The magical 300, Supporting mods?
[Re: ]
#1137739
29/11/2010 18:25
29/11/2010 18:25
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Add a few quid to get a rolling road power run with fueling check, only about £40
|
|
|
|