|
Forums48
Topics103,717
Posts1,170,054
Members1,659
| |
Most Online39,516 Apr 16th, 2026
|
|
|
Anyone used the GTA clutch?
#1162067
26/01/2011 12:22
26/01/2011 12:22
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Its just going to happen! So Im looking at the next clutch.
Im interested in the 6 paddle GB but I have a GTA clutch in the garage as a spare from my 156 GTA engined Racecar. Its done circa 1000 miles.
Diameter is the same (checked in my clutch book) but interested to know if anyone else has used it.
Ive just fitted a GtiRS (stage 3) and want to run 300-320.
Thanks
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: Freddan72]
#1162103
26/01/2011 13:45
26/01/2011 13:45
|
stevo
Unregistered
|
stevo
Unregistered
|
I used to have a gta clutch at 330bhp and it started slipping. I have a helix organic clutch now and have had no problems at 360Bhp/357LB/ft. GTA Probably on the edge of being adequate.
Last edited by stevo; 26/01/2011 13:46.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1162128
26/01/2011 14:30
26/01/2011 14:30
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Thanks guys
GTA clutch circa £130 new, 6 paddle £250 dont know about helix organic.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1162149
26/01/2011 14:56
26/01/2011 14:56
|
RICHB
Unregistered
|
RICHB
Unregistered
|
Anyone got a link to the GTA clutch?, sounds like a good upgrade for those running a little more bhp & torque, and cheaper than the standard Valeo.....
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1162160
26/01/2011 15:17
26/01/2011 15:17
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312 Sandhurst
Begbie
ex El Presidente
|
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
|
Considering the GTA runs a similar to torque level to a standard 20vt, I don't see the point in using a GTA clutch, might as well use a normal clutch
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: Begbie]
#1162490
27/01/2011 11:33
27/01/2011 11:33
|
ninja
Unregistered
|
ninja
Unregistered
|
the GTA clutch was reccomended as an 'upgrade' when run in combination with the walkers cover plates, but then your looking at £300+
Ninja
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1163272
28/01/2011 19:38
28/01/2011 19:38
|
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555 Bulgaria
Ferrarist
Enjoying the ride
|
Enjoying the ride
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
|
Not only the clutch plate matters, pressure plate also counts a lot into this equation.
20VT - Alfa 156 2.0 - Alfa 156 Mid-Engined RWD - Locost 20VT
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: benje]
#1163893
30/01/2011 15:06
30/01/2011 15:06
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Ive emailed Valeo, lets see what they say
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164057
30/01/2011 22:57
30/01/2011 22:57
|
BoostMeCoupeUp
Unregistered
|
BoostMeCoupeUp
Unregistered
|
Need one very soon also to cope with 292ft/lbs so not HUGE What price can be expected as a good deal on a helix organic? The price of £250 above looks good for a paddle and a gta is cheap but not sure if its enough for 330 bhp alfatim on the long run sounds very similar to the std one.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164111
31/01/2011 01:21
31/01/2011 01:21
|
andy_plus
Unregistered
|
andy_plus
Unregistered
|
i had a gta clutch.fine on a standard coupe.soon as u tweek,then a no go.only lasted 6000miles.bite the bullet and get a paddle 1! will save u money in the long run.talk to john at midland car services,did a great job on mine! running 309bhp and 300lbs tourqe.easly copes nows 
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? update
[Re: Freddan72]
#1164461
31/01/2011 19:42
31/01/2011 19:42
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Spoke to Valeo Technical today.
Limited info but confirmed that the GTA clutch has higher clamping load @ 6500 wheras the Coupe 20VT is 6200. (This figure is written on the clutch cover)
He also mentioned that the friction material was diferent, but added that this may be because the GTA unit is more modern.
Wiating for a more comprehensive reply to an email, but he mentioned Im not the only person to have requested this info?
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: Freddan72]
#1164462
31/01/2011 19:43
31/01/2011 19:43
|
johnnymarr
Unregistered
|
johnnymarr
Unregistered
|
Don't believe the hype,
The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!
Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference
It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.
Wish I had read a bit more before buying!!
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? update
[Re: ]
#1164492
31/01/2011 20:17
31/01/2011 20:17
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855 Birmingham
benje
My life on the forum
|
My life on the forum
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855
Birmingham
|
Wiating for a more comprehensive reply to an email, but he mentioned Im not the only person to have requested this info?
I can't for the life of me remember where I read about the different material, but the person did say he had spoken to Valeo. Anyway I'm off to go and check what's on my Cover I have upstairs.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164541
31/01/2011 21:47
31/01/2011 21:47
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Don't believe the hype,
The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!
Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference
It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.
Wish I had read a bit more before buying!! The GTA clutch is not rubbish, I would suggest a faulty unit or a problem with your car. I have a GTA engined racecar and the same clutch has dealt with 265bhp FLAT OUT for 2 years, albeit on track at all times. Considering Easytrack do circa 50+ events a year, thats ok. Best check out as at 220 bhp it should be no problem.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164543
31/01/2011 21:51
31/01/2011 21:51
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
BTW it does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmL7mhWPQc:-) Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft)
Last edited by alfatim; 31/01/2011 22:03.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164591
31/01/2011 22:43
31/01/2011 22:43
|
jonone
Unregistered
|
jonone
Unregistered
|
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164716
01/02/2011 08:52
01/02/2011 08:52
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194 Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72
Competition Level
|
Competition Level
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
|
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft) Is that from your Valeo source?
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164724
01/02/2011 09:19
01/02/2011 09:19
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588 Essex
Rog20VT
I need some sleep
|
I need some sleep
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588
Essex
|
Valeo told me some years back that the cover plate and bearing were the same part for the 20VT and the GTA!
The friction plate is different in that the friction material is marginally wider, and the springs are more compact.
As begbie said - there is no obvious difference to the standard 20VT clutch kit, it should be considered an alternative, not an upgrade.
For the record, there have been many cars with 300 lb-ft of torque over the years running the standard clutch for some time without problems.
Helix 3 piece organic clutch is £475.
Last edited by Rog20VT; 01/02/2011 09:20.
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: Freddan72]
#1164754
01/02/2011 10:21
01/02/2011 10:21
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
alfatim
Unregistered
|
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft) Is that from your Valeo source? Yes. Valeo technical UK 01527 838300 Definitly clamping pressure is diferent and he said that from the info he had the material was diferent. Seems they may tell diferent people diferent things 
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164781
01/02/2011 11:28
01/02/2011 11:28
|
johnnymarr
Unregistered
|
johnnymarr
Unregistered
|
Don't believe the hype,
The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!
Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference
It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.
Wish I had read a bit more before buying!! The GTA clutch is not rubbish, I would suggest a faulty unit or a problem with your car. I have a GTA engined racecar and the same clutch has dealt with 265bhp FLAT OUT for 2 years, albeit on track at all times. Considering Easytrack do circa 50+ events a year, thats ok. Best check out as at 220 bhp it should be no problem. Well I can only speak from my own experience of the GTA clutch but on my own perfectly running coupe it slips on overboost in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. As soon as I tried my G-tec 1 chip it was undrivable. The turbo and actuator are brand new and done under 500 miles the flywheel was skimmed prior to fitting, fitted a new EBV as well as old one was shot and health test last year before I was running 300Bhp on a 60trim T28 showed the engine was over 150Psi per cylinder. So the car is fine fit your GTA clutch to yours and see how yours behaves. I was only giving my experience as that is what you asked for in your first post. Ian
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164862
01/02/2011 15:29
01/02/2011 15:29
|
Per
Unregistered
|
Per
Unregistered
|
Mine slipped aswell. If you're going over 300hp forget it. And under 300 - why not the std one. "Don't believe the hype".. 
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164895
01/02/2011 16:59
01/02/2011 16:59
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194 Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72
Competition Level
|
Competition Level
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
|
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft) Is that from your Valeo source? Yes. Valeo technical UK 01527 838300 Definitly clamping pressure is diferent and he said that from the info he had the material was diferent. Seems they may tell diferent people diferent things Could you ask them how much the standard 20vt clutch can hold?
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164898
01/02/2011 17:01
01/02/2011 17:01
|
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194 Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72
Competition Level
|
Competition Level
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
|
Mine slipped aswell. If you're going over 300hp forget it. And under 300 - why not the std one. "Don't believe the hype".. Maybe you should add that you was using 1.6 bar and ca 450 Nm of torque
|
|
|
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch?
[Re: ]
#1164909
01/02/2011 17:22
01/02/2011 17:22
|
Per
Unregistered
|
Per
Unregistered
|
I have no figures, as you know. I only know I used Fleas mapping and GT28R. Anyway - it seems I'm not the only one with this problem.. The bottom line is - the std Fiat clutch holds torque/power better than the GTA. That's very clear to me! 
|
|
|
|