Fiat Coupe Forum
- Funded by the Club for the benefit of all owners
- Please consider joining the Club to help keep the Forum running
- Or you can choose to make a Donation
Fiat Coupe Club UK
join the club
Fiat Coupe Forum
 
» Announced
    Posting images


» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

 
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 444 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics103,717
Posts1,170,053
Members1,659
Most Online39,516
Apr 16th, 2026
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,794
stan 32,123
Theresa 23,347
PeteP 22,306
bockers 21,083
Edinburgh 18,891
JimO 17,919
Nigel 17,386
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone used the GTA clutch? #1162067
26/01/2011 12:22
26/01/2011 12:22

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Its just going to happen! So Im looking at the next clutch.

Im interested in the 6 paddle GB but I have a GTA clutch in the garage as a spare from my 156 GTA engined Racecar. Its done circa 1000 miles.

Diameter is the same (checked in my clutch book) but interested to know if anyone else has used it.

Ive just fitted a GtiRS (stage 3) and want to run 300-320.

Thanks

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1162100
26/01/2011 13:38
26/01/2011 13:38
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
I use it. smile

I hit 486 Nm (358 lbs/ft) during last RR (1.7 bar). After that I turned down the boost level to 1.4-1.5 Bar (circa 440 Nm/324 lbs/ft) and have no problems at all. Almost the same feeling as OE clutch.


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Freddan72] #1162103
26/01/2011 13:45
26/01/2011 13:45

S
stevo
Unregistered
stevo
Unregistered
S



I used to have a gta clutch at 330bhp and it started slipping. I have a helix organic clutch now and have had no problems at 360Bhp/357LB/ft. GTA Probably on the edge of being adequate.

Last edited by stevo; 26/01/2011 13:46.
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1162128
26/01/2011 14:30
26/01/2011 14:30

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Thanks guys

GTA clutch circa £130 new, 6 paddle £250 dont know about helix organic.

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1162149
26/01/2011 14:56
26/01/2011 14:56

R
RICHB
Unregistered
RICHB
Unregistered
R



Anyone got a link to the GTA clutch?, sounds like a good upgrade for those running a little more bhp & torque, and cheaper than the standard Valeo..... laugh

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1162160
26/01/2011 15:17
26/01/2011 15:17
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,312
Sandhurst
Considering the GTA runs a similar to torque level to a standard 20vt, I don't see the point in using a GTA clutch, might as well use a normal clutch


Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Begbie] #1162490
27/01/2011 11:33
27/01/2011 11:33

N
ninja
Unregistered
ninja
Unregistered
N



the GTA clutch was reccomended as an 'upgrade' when run in combination with the walkers cover plates, but then your looking at £300+

Ninja

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1163272
28/01/2011 19:38
28/01/2011 19:38
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
Ferrarist Offline
Enjoying the ride
Ferrarist  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 555
Bulgaria
Not only the clutch plate matters, pressure plate also counts a lot into this equation.


20VT - Alfa 156 2.0 - Alfa 156 Mid-Engined RWD - Locost 20VT

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Freddan72] #1163861
30/01/2011 13:28
30/01/2011 13:28
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 453
Dubai, U.A.E
Jumeirah Offline
Enjoying the ride
Jumeirah  Offline
Enjoying the ride

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 453
Dubai, U.A.E
What's the main difference between the Alfa GTA and Standard Valeo clutch? anyone?


...................driving
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Jumeirah] #1163862
30/01/2011 13:34
30/01/2011 13:34
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855
Birmingham
B
benje Offline
My life on the forum
benje  Offline
My life on the forum
B

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855
Birmingham
I'm certain I read somewhere that the GTA clutch plate is of a slightly different material to the normal Valeo one. No idea whether it's true or not...

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: benje] #1163893
30/01/2011 15:06
30/01/2011 15:06

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Ive emailed Valeo, lets see what they say

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164023
30/01/2011 21:29
30/01/2011 21:29

W
Wilu
Unregistered
Wilu
Unregistered
W



My friend got GTA clutch on his 400bhp Coupe and clutch works fine.
http://promotormocy.pl/mods/fiat-coupe-turbo-20v

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164057
30/01/2011 22:57
30/01/2011 22:57

B
BoostMeCoupeUp
Unregistered
BoostMeCoupeUp
Unregistered
B



Need one very soon also to cope with 292ft/lbs so not HUGE
What price can be expected as a good deal on a helix organic?
The price of £250 above looks good for a paddle and a gta is cheap but not sure if its enough for 330 bhp alfatim on the long run sounds very similar to the std one.

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164111
31/01/2011 01:21
31/01/2011 01:21

A
andy_plus
Unregistered
andy_plus
Unregistered
A



i had a gta clutch.fine on a standard coupe.soon as u tweek,then a no go.only lasted 6000miles.bite the bullet and get a paddle 1! will save u money in the long run.talk to john at midland car services,did a great job on mine! running 309bhp and 300lbs tourqe.easly copes nows smile

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164139
31/01/2011 08:04
31/01/2011 08:04
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Wilu
My friend got GTA clutch on his 400bhp Coupe and clutch works fine.
http://promotormocy.pl/mods/fiat-coupe-turbo-20v
Great looking car thumb

Is it 402Nm in engine (crank) or on the wheels?


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? update [Re: Freddan72] #1164461
31/01/2011 19:42
31/01/2011 19:42

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Spoke to Valeo Technical today.

Limited info but confirmed that the GTA clutch has higher clamping load @ 6500 wheras the Coupe 20VT is 6200. (This figure is written on the clutch cover)

He also mentioned that the friction material was diferent, but added that this may be because the GTA unit is more modern.

Wiating for a more comprehensive reply to an email, but he mentioned Im not the only person to have requested this info?

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Freddan72] #1164462
31/01/2011 19:43
31/01/2011 19:43

J
johnnymarr
Unregistered
johnnymarr
Unregistered
J



Don't believe the hype,

The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!

Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference

It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.

Wish I had read a bit more before buying!!

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? update [Re: ] #1164492
31/01/2011 20:17
31/01/2011 20:17
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855
Birmingham
B
benje Offline
My life on the forum
benje  Offline
My life on the forum
B

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,855
Birmingham
Originally Posted by alfatim

Wiating for a more comprehensive reply to an email, but he mentioned Im not the only person to have requested this info?


I can't for the life of me remember where I read about the different material, but the person did say he had spoken to Valeo.

Anyway I'm off to go and check what's on my Cover I have upstairs.

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164541
31/01/2011 21:47
31/01/2011 21:47

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by johnnymarr
Don't believe the hype,

The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!

Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference

It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.

Wish I had read a bit more before buying!!


The GTA clutch is not rubbish, I would suggest a faulty unit or a problem with your car. I have a GTA engined racecar and the same clutch has dealt with 265bhp FLAT OUT for 2 years, albeit on track at all times. Considering Easytrack do circa 50+ events a year, thats ok.

Best check out as at 220 bhp it should be no problem.

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164543
31/01/2011 21:51
31/01/2011 21:51

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



BTW it does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmL7mhWPQc

:-)


Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft)

Last edited by alfatim; 31/01/2011 22:03.
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164591
31/01/2011 22:43
31/01/2011 22:43

J
jonone
Unregistered
jonone
Unregistered
J



370nm = 272lb ft

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164716
01/02/2011 08:52
01/02/2011 08:52
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by alfatim
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft)


Is that from your Valeo source?


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164724
01/02/2011 09:19
01/02/2011 09:19
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588
Essex
Rog20VT Offline
I need some sleep
Rog20VT  Offline
I need some sleep

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,588
Essex
Valeo told me some years back that the cover plate and bearing were the same part for the 20VT and the GTA!

The friction plate is different in that the friction material is marginally wider, and the springs are more compact.

As begbie said - there is no obvious difference to the standard 20VT clutch kit, it should be considered an alternative, not an upgrade.

For the record, there have been many cars with 300 lb-ft of torque over the years running the standard clutch for some time without problems.


Helix 3 piece organic clutch is £475.

Last edited by Rog20VT; 01/02/2011 09:20.

www.Poweritalia.com - The UK's leading Fiat Coupe Specialist
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: Freddan72] #1164754
01/02/2011 10:21
01/02/2011 10:21

A
alfatim
Unregistered
alfatim
Unregistered
A



Originally Posted by Freddan72
Originally Posted by alfatim
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft)


Is that from your Valeo source?


Yes.

Valeo technical UK 01527 838300

Definitly clamping pressure is diferent and he said that from the info he had the material was diferent. Seems they may tell diferent people diferent things chinny

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164781
01/02/2011 11:28
01/02/2011 11:28

J
johnnymarr
Unregistered
johnnymarr
Unregistered
J



Originally Posted by alfatim
Originally Posted by johnnymarr
Don't believe the hype,

The GTA clutch is rubbish I have just fitted one to my coupe which I have returned to standard 220Bhp and its slipping after 300miles not impressed!!

Mind you I do use 102Ron petrol and decat which may make a slight difference

It seems after further investigation as Ninja mentioned its a combination of the GTA friction plate and a Walkers pressure plate which is a good upgrade.

Wish I had read a bit more before buying!!


The GTA clutch is not rubbish, I would suggest a faulty unit or a problem with your car. I have a GTA engined racecar and the same clutch has dealt with 265bhp FLAT OUT for 2 years, albeit on track at all times. Considering Easytrack do circa 50+ events a year, thats ok.

Best check out as at 220 bhp it should be no problem.


Well I can only speak from my own experience of the GTA clutch but on my own perfectly running coupe it slips on overboost in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

As soon as I tried my G-tec 1 chip it was undrivable.

The turbo and actuator are brand new and done under 500 miles the flywheel was skimmed prior to fitting, fitted a new EBV as well as old one was shot and health test last year before I was running 300Bhp on a 60trim T28 showed the engine was over 150Psi per cylinder.

So the car is fine fit your GTA clutch to yours and see how yours behaves.

I was only giving my experience as that is what you asked for in your first post.

Ian

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164862
01/02/2011 15:29
01/02/2011 15:29

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



Mine slipped aswell.
If you're going over 300hp forget it. And under 300 - why not the std one.

"Don't believe the hype".. smile

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164895
01/02/2011 16:59
01/02/2011 16:59
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by alfatim
Originally Posted by Freddan72
Originally Posted by alfatim
Valeo rate the GTA clutch at 370nm btw (not sure what that is in lb/ft)


Is that from your Valeo source?


Yes.

Valeo technical UK 01527 838300

Definitly clamping pressure is diferent and he said that from the info he had the material was diferent. Seems they may tell diferent people diferent things chinny

Could you ask them how much the standard 20vt clutch can hold?


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164898
01/02/2011 17:01
01/02/2011 17:01
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Per
Mine slipped aswell.
If you're going over 300hp forget it. And under 300 - why not the std one.

"Don't believe the hype".. smile

Maybe you should add that you was using 1.6 bar and ca 450 Nm of torque rotate


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164909
01/02/2011 17:22
01/02/2011 17:22

P
Per
Unregistered
Per
Unregistered
P



I have no figures, as you know. I only know I used Fleas mapping and GT28R. Anyway - it seems I'm not the only one with this problem..
The bottom line is - the std Fiat clutch holds torque/power better than the GTA. That's very clear to me! wink

Re: Anyone used the GTA clutch? [Re: ] #1164957
01/02/2011 19:16
01/02/2011 19:16
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
Freddan72 Offline
Competition Level
Freddan72  Offline
Competition Level

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,194
Göteborg, Sweden
How high boost pressure (or torque figures) have you used with GT28R and standard clutch?


Coupé Fiat 20V Turbo Plus 1999, T19 Mitsubishi turbo
https://youtu.be/O9qrLj3Ap00 Now FCP Stage3!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 15 (0.011s) Memory: 0.7193 MB (Peak: 0.9341 MB) Data Comp: Off Server Time: 2026-10-01 20:11:05 UTC